The Student Room Group

Edexcel Geog Unit 4 6GE04 01 - 9th June 2017 - Tectonic Hazards [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Ryan CS
Its about the management of tectonic disasters with a focus on level of development

Ah sweet cheers! Don't suppose you have a copy of the official pre release do you? Says i need a password D:
Reply 61
Original post by Ed coe
Ah sweet cheers! Don't suppose you have a copy of the official pre release do you? Says i need a password D:

Here you go
Can someone please explain how can population affect the successful management of tectonic hazards?
Reply 63
Original post by saft
Here you go

Cheers man :smile:
Reply 64
Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 18.23.34.png Got this as a structure. Is 6 case studies way to much?
Reply 65
Original post by Ed coe
How is everyone structuring the exam? I don't have a teacher as i'm retaking and i've completely forgot how to do it. I know you need an introduction obviously, and then the methodology, and then analysis and a conclusion. But where do you incorporate the case study's? And what sort of things should i be putting in analysis? Thank you :smile:

Im not sure if mine is right but my teacher suggested this:

Intro:
definitions, types of hazard you'll talk about and how they form, framework, methodology

Case study 1 LEDC earthquake:
Background (about the earthquake and where it happened, the country's development etc)
Preparation (what management they had in place to protect themselves, if it had been predicted e.t.c)
Effects (how successful that management had been based on what happened after the disaster, and how they immediately coped)
Response (what they have done to recover and how they have implemented new management to cope better in the future)
Evaluation (how the management was effective and how the different factors influenced this, e.g. hindered by corruption or lack of wealth e.t.c)

Then do the same for MEDC earthquake, LEDC volcano, MEDC volcano
Or you could swap in a tsunami instead but my teacher said tsunami's are too similar to earthquakes

Conclusion:
What the investigation has shown e.g. how less developed countries have less effective management, overview as to why this is, what factor is most important in impacting management success

Thats how I've done mine but I've seen a lot of people say you shouldn't do it by case study but you can compare them in the evaluation section idk
Reply 66
Original post by LisaHd
Im not sure if mine is right but my teacher suggested this:

Intro:
definitions, types of hazard you'll talk about and how they form, framework, methodology

Case study 1 LEDC earthquake:
Background (about the earthquake and where it happened, the country's development etc)
Preparation (what management they had in place to protect themselves, if it had been predicted e.t.c)
Effects (how successful that management had been based on what happened after the disaster, and how they immediately coped)
Response (what they have done to recover and how they have implemented new management to cope better in the future)
Evaluation (how the management was effective and how the different factors influenced this, e.g. hindered by corruption or lack of wealth e.t.c)

Then do the same for MEDC earthquake, LEDC volcano, MEDC volcano
Or you could swap in a tsunami instead but my teacher said tsunami's are too similar to earthquakes

Conclusion:
What the investigation has shown e.g. how less developed countries have less effective management, overview as to why this is, what factor is most important in impacting management success

Thats how I've done mine but I've seen a lot of people say you shouldn't do it by case study but you can compare them in the evaluation section idk

Okay thank you so much! I should be doing roughly around 4 case studies? And are you saying maybe only just do 2 out of the 3 hazards?
Reply 67
Original post by Ed coe
Okay thank you so much! I should be doing roughly around 4 case studies? And are you saying maybe only just do 2 out of the 3 hazards?

Yeah unless you have some incredible writing skills i don't think its possible to talk about 6 in enough detail in an hour and a half.
I mean Im only doing volcanoes and earthquakes as are most people at my school but I don't know if thats a bad thing - I hope it isn't lol or Im screwed!!
Reply 68
Original post by LisaHd
Yeah unless you have some incredible writing skills i don't think its possible to talk about 6 in enough detail in an hour and a half.
I mean Im only doing volcanoes and earthquakes as are most people at my school but I don't know if thats a bad thing - I hope it isn't lol or Im screwed!!

Ahha okay thanks!!
Does anyone have any example questions or practice questions that they have completed in class or just any idea of the style of question based on the pre release? Do you think it will be a 'to what extent' or 'evaluate' or 'discuss'? Any help greatly appreciated! :smile:
Original post by Jasminechen
Can someone please explain how can population affect the successful management of tectonic hazards?

depends how vulnerable/poor/educated/accessible they are to hazards
im doing mine in a five factors affecting management paragraphs instead of volcanoes/tsunamis/earthquakes
Reply 72
Original post by Inister
How could it be asked as "The approaches to management"? What "approaches to management" even are there? - what subheadings would be used? :redface:

My teacher told us that there are 4 management approaches;
Modify the Loss
Modify Vulnerability
Modify the Event
And, Modify the Cause
This is how she is getting us to structure our analysis - each 'modify' also has sub parts within it as well
Original post by Theawesomejem
Oh really? My geography teacher is a senior examiner and he said at least 3 human factors and 3 physical factors to show depth of understanding and complexity. So physical -magnitude, depth of focus and type of hazard, human-preparation, governance and level of development(off the top of my head I might switch to other factors) He also said that you need to be able to show anomalies in trends :smile: your analysis should be a mix of physical and human with subconclusions

Update, 6 parts to your analysis is way too long and you won't have time to write it. It's also not important to separate between human and physical factors so ignore that bad advice(teacher went back on this) 4 parts to your analysis maximum, 3 minimum. Best advice is focus on scoring full marks in your intro(out of 10), research and meth(out of 15), QWC(out of 10 quality of written communication) and conclusion(out of 15) as this will total 50 marks, because then your analysis can be awful but it wouldn't matter becaus you only need 4 out 20 more marks in this section to get an A and 7 more marks for full UMS and 9 more marks for an A* (It's on average 54 for an A, 57 for full ums and 59 for A*):smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me....

I have NO idea how to write a conclusion for the report. Do I just sum up everything I have said? Do you have to come to some sort of conclusion on which factor is most important?

Thanks
Guys im splitting my essay into human and physical factors
Human - governance and development
Physical - areal extent and tectonic setting

I do this for volcanoes, tsunamis and earthquakes

And i use 2 main case studies for each hazards to explain them
Mini conclusion
I am doing Human factors - Level of development for Haiti 2010 and Christchurch 2011 earthquakes
Physical - Magnitude for Japan 9mW 2010 earthquake and the tsunami that occurred
Human factor - Preparedness for Iceland, Eyjafjallajökull 2010
Physical factor - Frequency in Monserrat 1997

Does that sound good?
we got a mock on "to what extent is technology the answer to improving human response to tectonic hazards"
Reply 78
Original post by halliethestudent
we got a mock on "to what extent is technology the answer to improving human response to tectonic hazards"

did you just do almost a yes and no side or did you still use factors such as governance to structure the main body?
Reply 79
Can i refer to myself in the report? Meaning like in the conclusion for example can i say: I have broken it down into 4 main factors which i believe are....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending