The Student Room Group

Edexcel Mathematics: Core C1 6663 17th May 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

(6) The functiont(x) at the pointT(3,18)has gradient1.5t(x). Giventhesecondderivateofthefunctiont(x)is2(3x1) sketchthecurveyt(x)clearlyshowingany points of intersection with the coordinate axes.

(9 marks)

(7) The line l with equation y ax b cuts the lines x 2 and x 4 at the pointsAandBwhereyAandyB arepand 2prespectively,p0.

The points C and D are the points where the lines x 2 and x 4 cross the coordinate axis. The

trapeziumABCDhasanareaof24. Findthedistancefromtheorigintothepointwherelinelcrosses the x axis.

(6 marks)
Capture.PNG

Can someone explain why the last line (root)X = -8 does not have a solution. I was thinking you square -8 to get 64 hence X=64
Reply 262
Original post by GenjiPro
Capture.PNG

Can someone explain why the last line (root)X = -8 does not have a solution. I was thinking you square -8 to get 64 hence X=64

Because you need two numbers the same that multiply to make -8 (can't be done with real numbers)
Original post by candol
Because you need two numbers the same that multiply to make -8 (can't be done with real numbers)

What do you mean by that? I think the answer is no value for X rooted would give -8. What do you mean by your statement?
In sigma questions does anyone know the difference between:

5(Sigma)1 12=4n^2 =Ar

Find the value of 1-5 Ar
and find the value of Un
maths.jpg
Can someone explain this question to me please
Original post by candol
cant login to question

go onto google and type in C1 mock paper online 2017 and its the second result :smile:
What do you mean by that? I think the answer is no value for X rooted would give -8. What do you mean by your statement?

I think they mean that you can't have a negative root with real numbers? like type in negative root on your calc, its an error.

Negative roots are imaginary numbers which you cover in Further maths

Think about it: rootx =-8 is what you got
root64 does not =-8 so it's not a solution
Furthermore, no number square rooted can make a negative number
Reply 269

that is exactly what my statement says: (we are in agreement)

eg sqrt 16 = 4 (or -4) since 4 x 4 = 16

sqrt -8 is not possible since no two same real numbers multiplied together make -8
Original post by boaconstricta
maths.jpg

anyone able to do this?
maths.jpg

Which part are you struggling with? Does it help if I tell you that they've given you the equation for the sum of n values? Look at the "=" sign.

(a) Surely it is straight forward??

(b) a6=(a1+a2+...+a5+a6)(a1+a2+...+a5)a_6=(a_1+a_2+...+a_5+a_6)-(a_1+a_2+...+a_5)
when theres 100 on top of the sigma
am i supposed to look for a pattern

@RDKGames
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by RDKGames
(a) Surely it is straight forward??

I simply don't understand the difference between when it says ar and when it says Un
(edited 6 years ago)
For a) does it want me to find the sum of the first 5 terms? Because I don't get the correct answer when I do this.

Yes.

It should be [12+4(1)2]+[12+4(2)2]+...+[12+4(5)2][12+4(1)^2]+[12+4(2)^2]+...+[12+4(5)^2]
Yes.

It should be [12+4(1)2]+[12+4(2)2]+...+[12+4(5)2][12+4(1)^2]+[12+4(2)^2]+...+[12+4(5)^2]

But the answer in the markscheme is just 12+4x5squared (112) not all of them added together. This is what's confused me.
image.jpg
Original post by wantodothebest
Did an online past paper.

Keeping getting this wrong:

1. You intergrate an f'(x) to get f(x). They give you a set of coordinates to get C.

2. They then give you the equation to the normal - i.e 6y + x = 0. Then they tell you to find the coordinate of T.

I have been trying to do it where I get the gradient of -1/6 of the normal and make it equal to the differentiated formula to try and solve for x. This didnt work.

I then tried to make the intergrated formula equal y which is -1/6x , rearrange, then differentiate and try to factorise. No luck.

Do I need to make -1/6 equal 6? Then what?? :frown:
Yes.

Actually for part a it's just 12+4(5)^2. All you have to do is substitute the value for n.
But the answer in the markscheme is just 12+4x5squared (112) not all of them added together. This is what's confused me.

Oops, misread the question... (the amount of C1 questions I've helped with today must be dragging me down...)

Anyway, you just sub in the value of 5 for n.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending