The Student Room Group

AS Mocks

Hello guys just a question, basically I'm doing English Lit, Psychology and Biologoy for A level and I think I'm doing relatively well in English and Psychology, I'm mainly getting Bs and hope to get higher next year but I'm doing so **** in Biology it's terrible. Thing is it's my own fault, my teacher isn't great and I haven't been helping myself because I haven't been putting in extra work outside of class, I have but everytime I just never learn that I can't be doing things last minute and putting work off for later (something I'm improving after exams and in year 13) I'm just scared if I do badly in biology for AS mock that I won't get into year 13? Is that a thing or :// because I haven't been doing well for bio though out the year and I started it in like November which I know isn't an excuse. So does anyone have any good advice on like, just how to get your head around it and how to like get good understanding of information, because I do but then when we have tests the questions sometimes look so so different to what I did for practice questions. Then again I'm a prat because I study like a night before the test and Idek. There's other reasons.
Just to sum up ---- any advice on how to get yourself to understand the information more and if I got an E for AS mock in Biology, will I have to redo year 12 (despite doing better in my other 2 subjects, and I plan to study over summer as well be im v scared) :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi there! I'm doing A level biology too and when i really don't feel like revising... I just put a video on:smile: there are some great videos about pretty much all topics of biology. As for the tests being way different, all I can say is do loads of past papers! After a few you might start to get the gist of what the questions asking.. In my opinion you never really seem to know what they want from you! In biology I think the most important things are:
learning the processes- such as the immune responses (these can be worth loads of marks)
practise those questions where data is given to you and you have to 'suggest' things, they're probably the most difficult
I don't think they'd make you redo the whole year, you'd probably just get the option to retake a module or two. Don't panic, that'll make it worse and you'll get a complete mental block in the exam. Just tell yourself repeatedly 'I know it' and you'll be in a better mindset. Don't worry, I'm in the exact same boat as you, currently trying to cram for my exam in the morning because I didn't revise until today. Just try to make use of the time you have left as best as you can
I'm in the same position as you! I reccomend videos-tailored tutors and snaprevise are good ones
Reply 4
Original post by EmLo12
Hi there! I'm doing A level biology too and when i really don't feel like revising... I just put a video on:smile: there are some great videos about pretty much all topics of biology. As for the tests being way different, all I can say is do loads of past papers! After a few you might start to get the gist of what the questions asking.. In my opinion you never really seem to know what they want from you! In biology I think the most important things are:
learning the processes- such as the immune responses (these can be worth loads of marks)
practise those questions where data is given to you and you have to 'suggest' things, they're probably the most difficult

Ahh thank you x big help
Reply 5
Original post by IfYouCanDreamIt
I don't think they'd make you redo the whole year, you'd probably just get the option to retake a module or two. Don't panic, that'll make it worse and you'll get a complete mental block in the exam. Just tell yourself repeatedly 'I know it' and you'll be in a better mindset. Don't worry, I'm in the exact same boat as you, currently trying to cram for my exam in the morning because I didn't revise until today. Just try to make use of the time you have left as best as you can

Thank you for the advice, really appreciate it :smile:))
Reply 6
Original post by noor.m
I'm in the same position as you! I reccomend videos-tailored tutors and snaprevise are good ones

Oh phew, I just keep having irrational thoughts about it all and CRY but yeah cheers, I do watch videos on YouTube just my mind is sometimes just never there Yano? Idk

Quick Reply

Latest