The Student Room Group

Student Finance won't pay my tuition fees? Help?

So when I was eighteen I went to university but due to issues in my personal life I ended up failing and having to re take the first year which I did. However these personal issues carried on into this re take and I ended up dropping out in February. Student Finance paid for both of these university years. Five years on I am starting university again and have been offered an unconditional place at a different university studying a different course. However, once I applied for student finance they sent me a letter saying I had been approved but the letter said they wouldn't pay anything to my university but they would offer me a maintenance loan of £3,900. I thought I must have made a mistake in my application so cancelled this one and started fresh. Today I've received a letter saying they won't pay my university anything nor would they give me a maintenance loan. Do I have any options here? What do I do?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by tomjen1993
So when I was eighteen I went to university but due to issues in my personal life I ended up failing and having to re take the first year which I did. However these personal issues carried on into this second year and I ended up dropping out in February of that year. Student Finance paid for both of these university years. Five years on I am starting university again and have been offered an unconditional place at a different university studying a different course. However, once I applied for student finance they sent me a letter saying I had been approved but the letter said they wouldn't pay anything to my university but they would offer me a maintenance loan of £3,900. I thought I must have made a mistake in my application so cancelled this one and started fresh. Today I've received a letter saying they won't pay my university anything nor would they give me a maintenance loan. Do I have any options here? What do I do?

Get on the phone to SFE again. They dont provide infinite funding. They provide degree length + 1 gift year. You are expecting them to fund a whole new degree, but they have already financed you for three years as it is.

By my count you are degree length -2 of available funding.

You can make an application for compelling personal reasons to get them to disregard some of the provided finance, but they would need good reason such as a medical condition and supporting independent evidence. Someone should have explained this to you at the time.
Reply 2
Original post by tomjen1993
So when I was eighteen I went to university but due to issues in my personal life I ended up failing and having to re take the first year which I did. However these personal issues carried on into this re take and I ended up dropping out in February. Student Finance paid for both of these university years. Five years on I am starting university again and have been offered an unconditional place at a different university studying a different course. However, once I applied for student finance they sent me a letter saying I had been approved but the letter said they wouldn't pay anything to my university but they would offer me a maintenance loan of £3,900. I thought I must have made a mistake in my application so cancelled this one and started fresh. Today I've received a letter saying they won't pay my university anything nor would they give me a maintenance loan. Do I have any options here? What do I do?

I suspect that your major problem is the deletion of your application and the creation of the new one. It's possible that SF have interpreted your actions as attempted fraud, and they can decline to provide any funding at all in that situation.

On the face of it, you do have some entitlement to SF remaining. The calculation is:

Number of years of your new uni course (minus) Number of previous years of uni study (plus) One year = Remaining years of entitlement to SF

If your new degree is three years long, this gives you 3-2+1=2 years of SF entitlement left. Theoretically you could get the full Tuition Fee Loan and a Maintenance Loan for the second and third years of your new degree, but you would have to fund the first year (including the tuition fees) yourself apart from a minimum Maintenance Loan. That's what the first letter from SF stated.

You should call SF to clarify why they have now completely declined to fund you. However, my best guess given what you have described, is that they suspect you have tried to circumvent the assessment process.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending