The Student Room Group

I ****ed up my GCSE English retake and now I am lost

I had the exam a few weeks ago. It was horrible, I know I failed. I needed 34 marks to get a C because of the coursework. I ****ed up on the speaking and listening which is why it is so high. Next year will be much harder for everyone, all exams, straight and if I fail I will have to 3 years worth of work in to 1. I dont think I will be able to do that. The only other subject I am doing which is not that bad is BTEC L3 engineering. I did revise and practice a lot for the exam but the exam was just too hard. I didnt understand the text and I ended up feeling light headed. I am useless at everything. It was hard for me to get motivated to revise and practice. At the start when we were just doing course works and I skipped lessons because I didnt feel motivated. But I managed to get through it and finished all my course works on time. Then it was the speaking and listening exam. I did something about fighter jets and I got a very low mark. One of the few people who did really bad and it was on the board and anyone can see it. I have no passion no motivation. I am useless at everything. I am really stupid , bad at sports, ugly and short. I have no job and where the **** will they employ a retard. I dont do any extra-curriculum activities. No university will accept me because I failed english like I can even afford university anyway not to mention the BTEC Engineering is just course work, we dont learn ****. It will be too hard for me to do it in university anyway. I dont even know what type of engineering I wanna do. I cant do apprenticeship because again they need a c in english otherwise it is going to be a crappy one which I wont get far in. Im useless and theres nothing that I can do in this ****ing world. There is nothing I am good at.
I know no one is going to be reading this like the other post I made before the exam but no one still havent responded to it. Thank you if you read it though, I am truely lost and theres nothing I can do. oh and I am also socially akward so I cant do sales picking up calls I tried I failed.
Reply 1
Quite a predicament you are in here. Maybe try the army???
Reply 2
Also I have no friends, I never had a job I worked with my brother and basically I am a screw up
Reply 3
Seriously though maybe the forces is a better idea than you thnk
Ignore the not so subtle army recruiter
Reply 5
Honestly I know some pretty inspirational ****-ups who turned their life around in the army
It is clear that you have been through a lot but you have to accept what has happened with you english grade and try to move on. Always remember that in the scheme of life, grades are but a tiny blip on the horizon, and often times getting a disappointing grade will do you more good by motivating you than getting an easy pass. My advice is to try to do what you enjoy and if you don't know what that is yet, immerse yourself in your studies and use your struggles as a motivation to do the best you can. Don't be demotivated by a single test/ grade.

Good luck
Original post by SoulBullet
I had the exam a few weeks ago. It was horrible, I know I failed. I needed 34 marks to get a C because of the coursework. I ****ed up on the speaking and listening which is why it is so high. Next year will be much harder for everyone, all exams, straight and if I fail I will have to 3 years worth of work in to 1. I dont think I will be able to do that. The only other subject I am doing which is not that bad is BTEC L3 engineering. I did revise and practice a lot for the exam but the exam was just too hard. I didnt understand the text and I ended up feeling light headed. I am useless at everything. It was hard for me to get motivated to revise and practice. At the start when we were just doing course works and I skipped lessons because I didnt feel motivated. But I managed to get through it and finished all my course works on time. Then it was the speaking and listening exam. I did something about fighter jets and I got a very low mark. One of the few people who did really bad and it was on the board and anyone can see it. I have no passion no motivation. I am useless at everything. I am really stupid , bad at sports, ugly and short. I have no job and where the **** will they employ a retard. I dont do any extra-curriculum activities. No university will accept me because I failed english like I can even afford university anyway not to mention the BTEC Engineering is just course work, we dont learn ****. It will be too hard for me to do it in university anyway. I dont even know what type of engineering I wanna do. I cant do apprenticeship because again they need a c in english otherwise it is going to be a crappy one which I wont get far in. Im useless and theres nothing that I can do in this ****ing world. There is nothing I am good at.
I know no one is going to be reading this like the other post I made before the exam but no one still havent responded to it. Thank you if you read it though, I am truely lost and theres nothing I can do. oh and I am also socially akward so I cant do sales picking up calls I tried I failed.

You do a good job in putting yourself down. If you failed, then take it again and dont skip lessons. If you are weak, then do extra study so you become strong. Surely all the motivation you need is that you nee the qualification to move forward? When you start improving slowly then you will be encouraged.
Reply 8
Hello,
Please don't feel so upset. Have you tried getting English tuition? I'm sure a 1 to 1 tutor who knows what they're doing can help you pass over the course of a year since they will be able to assess your strengths and your weaknesses. It doesn't need to be expensive or anything because most of my friends at school pay less than £20 per month. Try to stay positive and talk to your teacher, older siblings or parents for guidance
Good luck :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
You do a good job in putting yourself down. If you failed, then take it again and dont skip lessons. If you are weak, then do extra study so you become strong. Surely all the motivation you need is that you nee the qualification to move forward? When you start improving slowly then you will be encouraged.

The thing is next year it will be very different. They are going to be doing exams straight, and I will have to write stories and other crap that I definitely wont be able to do. It was the last year for this exam.
This is where skipping lessons get you! May be fun to skip the lesson, but the consequences are not fun at all! I'm sorry to hear about this OP, but this could've been evaded if you actually turned up to your lessons and studied!

However, take it as a life lesson; you only learn from your mistakes!
The thing is next year it will be very different. They are going to be doing exams straight, and I will have to write stories and other crap that I definitely wont be able to do. It was the last year for this exam.

Is English your first language?

Are you still at school?

There are some charities that have volunteer students who help with English.
Seems to me like you could really benefit from extra tutoring as suggested above pr privately if you could afford it. Im not sure if there are any online web services for English, paid or unpaid.

You sound as though you tried hard but didnt have enough guidance or feedback to know if you were doing it right or had someone pointing out mistakes and helping you improve. You dont know for certain how you did, but if you have to do it again it is possible to do it, just stop beating yourself up and have a break for now.

If its a retake then you will just have to do it but get more guidance. Never give in.
Reply 12
Original post by RoyalSheepy
This is where skipping lessons get you! May be fun to skip the lesson, but the consequences are not fun at all! I'm sorry to hear about this OP, but this could've been evaded if you actually turned up to your lessons and studied!

However, take it as a life lesson; you only learn from your mistakes!

I only skipped lessons when we were doing coursework. I was ahead of most the people in my class so the teacher took it slow. By the rules he is only allowed to mark it once and then we are allowed to improve on it. I had already done that with all of my 3 course works. They were still on their second. And like I said the only reason I FAILED IS BECAUSE OF SPEAKING AND LISTENING WHICH I OBVIOUSLY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH. The real exam was hard because I found it hard to understand the text. It was really messed up and a lot of other people had thought the same. But they didn't need 34/50 they only needed 25 and some 15-19. They did well on the speaking and listening which didn't make sense at all. I did revise a lot. It was the first time doing that paper because last year I did another exam board. I was also ahead in my engineering class. I was revising so much on English that I fell behind and now people are like two units ahead. I managed to catch up afterwards anyway.
I only skipped lessons when we were doing coursework. I was ahead of most the people in my class so the teacher took it slow. By the rules he is only allowed to mark it once and then we are allowed to improve on it. I had already done that with all of my 3 course works. They were still on their second. And like I said the only reason I FAILED IS BECAUSE OF SPEAKING AND LISTENING WHICH I OBVIOUSLY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH. The real exam was hard because I found it hard to understand the text. It was really messed up and a lot of other people had thought the same. But they didn't need 34/50 they only needed 25 and some 15-19. They did well on the speaking and listening which didn't make sense at all. I did revise a lot. It was the first time doing that paper because last year I did another exam board. I was also ahead in my engineering class. I was revising so much on English that I fell behind and now people are like two units ahead. I managed to catch up afterwards anyway.

Still, skipping lessons should never be justified if you actually WANTED to do well. This may have all been avoided if you actually turned up to lessons, as I said...
First of all, stop being so hard on yourself. You have identified that you found it difficult - that's the first step. As mentioned by previous people, consider getting some English tuition to turn your weaknesses into strengths then by next year, you'll be prepared to re-sit the exam. It's so easy for this to feel like like the end of the world, but as you grow older, you'll look back and wonder what all the fuss was about. I was always good at English in school, then my teacher lost my coursework so I ended up achieving a C grade which like you felt like the 'end of the world'. However, I re-sat the exam and achieved an A* grade as my long-term goal was to become a teacher. That was twenty years ago and now I'm an English teacher. So the long story is, do not fall short or your dreams and aspirations and really push yourself to achieve English GCSE to pursue your engineering career. You can do it!!
Reply 15
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Still, skipping lessons should never be justified if you actually WANTED to do well. This may have all been avoided if you actually turned up to lessons, as I said...

Nope as I said I only skipped lessons when we were doing the course works so it didnt really matter about the exam. I failed the speaking and listening and the other course works was done well. I never done the paper before and we started doing it a month before the exam. I never skipped a lesson when started doing that. So skipping lessons did not actually effect anything. It was just the speaking and listening.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending