The Student Room Group

OCR Latin GCSE Response (2017)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DaveSmith123
IKR! I felt like the entire thing was a trap, although I think I lost a mark on the last question for thinking novalty but putting Noval which isn't even a word 🙄

Same here, it was too easy! For the derivatives, I put novice-someone that is new to a particular concept, and I put mortal, something that can die.

Expecting grade boundaries to be super high, i.e:

55/60 for A*
50/60 for A
45/60 for B
40/60 for C

But I think I have a solid A*, if not 100%.
Hope the next language and literature papers are similar to this!
Reply 21
Original post by hanaxogrunge
how did everyone find the language 1?
i did foundation cause ive always struggled but i finished it in half an hour and went to sleep haha

Haha! Everyone at my school found it really easy too (higher but similar story I think)
Never seen so many heads down on their desks in an exam hall!
Reply 22
Original post by Blackjoker1506
Same here, it was too easy! For the derivatives, I put novice-someone that is new to a particular concept, and I put mortal, something that can die.

Expecting grade boundaries to be super high, i.e:

55/60 for A*
50/60 for A
45/60 for B
40/60 for C

But I think I have a solid A*, if not 100%.
Hope the next language and literature papers are similar to this!

Yeah up to 92% (56) for A* I'd say.
Original post by DaveSmith123
IKR! I felt like the entire thing was a trap, although I think I lost a mark on the last question for thinking novalty but putting Noval which isn't even a word 🙄

I put novel, it is a word, if you spelt it wrong they'll probably just assume you meant to spell novel
Original post by Katiee01
Yeah up to 92% (56) for A* I'd say.

That sounds about right. I genuinely don't know what I could've lost marks on, and I'm not some Latin prodigy or whatever (I do really like Latin though).

I put "novelty" as the derivative, and weirdly (this happens to me quite a lot) I thought of the French "nouveauté" first and then translated it to English.
what do u think will be the grade boundaries for latin this year-assuming the other papers are of similar difficulty.
Original post by student123.456
what do u think will be the grade boundaries for latin this year-assuming the other papers are of similar difficulty.

It's always 90UMS, but if the others are similar difficulty I reckon around 85% overall would be expected
what did u guys get in the last sentence in the translation

Remind me of what it roughly was and I'll tell you
Reply 29

Think it was somethig like 'at last he was able to defeat him' But can't really remember the beefinning of the scentence
he fought with the snake so..... but i forgot the word
Reply 31
Original post by DavoGCSE
It's always 90UMS, but if the others are similar difficulty I reckon around 85% overall would be expected

Aren't verse & paper 2 notoriously harder though?
I'd assume they will have lower grade boundaries than the two we've done...
Reply 32
Original post by Sonechka
That sounds about right. I genuinely don't know what I could've lost marks on, and I'm not some Latin prodigy or whatever (I do really like Latin though).

I put "novelty" as the derivative, and weirdly (this happens to me quite a lot) I thought of the French "nouveauté" first and then translated it to English.

Haha I get what you mean, I had so much time to check it & cross reference every noun & verb with the tables I wrote out!
Are you taking Latin A-level?
A lot of people in my school wrote novelty too, but I'm hoping novice & mortuary get the marks for derivatives! (I was going to put post-mortum but want sure if that even counted as a derivative aha)
Reply 33
he fought with the snake so..... but i forgot the word

There was a bit about how he fought so bravely but can't even remember if that was the translation or comprehension
Reply 34
What did everyone get for one of last comprehension translations on the 2nd last page (if that makes sense) about what one of the soldiers said or something?
Haha! Everyone at my school found it really easy too (higher but similar story I think)
Never seen so many heads down on their desks in an exam hall!

yep it was.the snake killed all his mates in the woods, he got help from the soldiers, something about not doing the battle by one soldier? all the past papers i did were stupidly hard.
Haha I get what you mean, I had so much time to check it & cross reference every noun & verb with the tables I wrote out!
Are you taking Latin A-level?
A lot of people in my school wrote novelty too, but I'm hoping novice & mortuary get the marks for derivatives! (I was going to put post-mortum but want sure if that even counted as a derivative aha)

Yes :smile: I'm thinking of applying for linguistics so it's pretty useful for me.

Those'll get the marks, I think. Post-mortem is itself Latin, so it's not strictly a derivative, just a loanword (or loanphrase).

I think the soldiers said "proelium nostrum est" (not sure about that syntax but you get it) which is "the battle is ours", i.e. Cadmus doesn't have to kill them all as he promised.
Reply 37
Yes :smile: I'm thinking of applying for linguistics so it's pretty useful for me.

Those'll get the marks, I think. Post-mortem is itself Latin, so it's not strictly a derivative, just a loanword (or loanphrase).

I think the soldiers said "proelium nostrum est" (not sure about that syntax but you get it) which is "the battle is ours", i.e. Cadmus doesn't have to kill them all as he promised.

Ah great that's what I wrote but didn't know if it made sense in the context, thankyou!
Let's hope they don't compensate too much in harshness next week!
Ah great that's what I wrote but didn't know if it made sense in the context, thankyou!
Let's hope they don't compensate too much in harshness next week!

Yeah, the rest of my class thinks next week's are going to be hideous...praying for some nice verse questions!

I think I put 'this is our battle', do you think they'll be ok with that?

Quick Reply

Latest