The Student Room Group

How hard is Higher compared to National 5?

Hi, I'm doing my national 5 exams atm, I'm just wondering how hard higher is compared to national 5 since I will be doing higher in less than a month, do you actually need to revise daily for it in order to be good at the subject or can you just wait until 1 month before your exams to do your revision?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Revising every day is a bit over-kill and you would definitely begin to feel burnt out soon.

I'd say beginning revision in Easter Holidays is plenty of time but of course put in the regular revision for prelims and throughout the year.
Reply 2
Oh, just you wait, higher will hit you like a truck...
as long as you start revising around the beginning or April you'll be fine
Depends on the subject; I thought maths was much harder, but I didn't think English was. It is definitely a step up from nat 5 for all subjects difficulty wise, but some take a bigger step than others.
(edited 3 years ago)
Maths is a huge jump
English there's hardly any jump same with modern languages
And I'm told with sciences there's quite a jump but maths is definetly the worst
Original post by ___Sophie___
Maths is a huge jump
English there's hardly any jump same with modern languages
And I'm told with sciences there's quite a jump but maths is definetly the worst

Yeah pretty much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Really depends on the subject. Music is literally just 7 or 8 new concepts to learn + more practical time, whereas Maths is the biggest jump of them all. Don't do what I did and underestimate Maths :tongue:

Sciences are okay if you got a good mark for Nat 5. Higher sciences are probably better than Nat 5 as you get the background to what you learned at Nat 5 which makes everything click into place better.

But the workload for every subject gets greater and greater, and so will the need for revision. If anything, you'll probably struggle with the workload as everyone does.
Reply 8
Remember that in Higher Maths, and probably many other Highers, you need to pass each unit assessment in order to be allowed to sit the exam. Revising every single day is unlikely to be anywhere near needed, but you can't just coast until Easter, or even coast until prelims, without being at risk of not sitting the exam.
Reply 9
Maths is the biggest jump, everything else is fairly simple just make sure that you're paying attention in class and start revising in Easter holidays.
Original post by mhan01
Maths is the biggest jump, everything else is fairly simple just make sure that you're paying attention in class and start revising in Easter holidays.

if you're wanting straight A's then I would suggest that you revise atleast an hour daily
Original post by Salenite
Really depends on the subject. Music is literally just 7 or 8 new concepts to learn + more practical time, whereas Maths is the biggest jump of them all. Don't do what I did and underestimate Maths :tongue:

Sciences are okay if you got a good mark for Nat 5. Higher sciences are probably better than Nat 5 as you get the background to what you learned at Nat 5 which makes everything click into place better.

But the workload for every subject gets greater and greater, and so will the need for revision. If anything, you'll probably struggle with the workload as everyone does.

7 or 8? Theres about 30 concepts all in for Higher Music.
Reply 12
Original post by YasserTron
if you're wanting straight A's then I would suggest that you revise atleast an hour daily

While thats probably recommended advice its not true, to get 5 A's just pay attention in class and do what the teachers tells you then start studying in April but cram a lot in, like 4 papers each subject over Easter then 4 more during exam leave. No one i know that got 5 A's has been doing solid revision all year because you get burned out quickly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending