The Student Room Group

HELP!

Can someone help me with the Manchurian crisis?

Why did Japan invade Manchuria?

What did the League do?
Reply 1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_invasion_of_Manchuria

Here's a starting point, there's more reputable sources at the bottom.
The Manchurian Crisis had various reasons, but the mains ones were:
- Ethnic Japanese people in Manchuria were being oppressed by the Chinese governments
- They wished to exert more influence on the Manchurian Railway
- The Japanese economy was stagnating, so they tried to expand their economic influence
- Japan lacked natural resources that Manchuria had
- For the glory of war

The League were approached by China, and a mandate was given calling for the withdrawal of Japanese troops, which was ignored. Negotiations were unfruitful. An expedition was sent by the League led by the Earl of Lytton, and it produced the Lytton Report, stating that the supposed Japanese reason (railway sabotage by pro-Chinese forces) for invasion was false. The Japanese puppet state of Manchukuo was not recognised by the League. Soon after, Japan left the League of Nations, having been disgraced by an Assembly Vote where Japan was opposed by all members. No military action was brought forward by the League.
Reply 3
Original post by Dragolien
The Manchurian Crisis had various reasons, but the mains ones were:
- Ethnic Japanese people in Manchuria were being oppressed by the Chinese governments
- They wished to exert more influence on the Manchurian Railway
- The Japanese economy was stagnating, so they tried to expand their economic influence
- Japan lacked natural resources that Manchuria had
- For the glory of war

The League were approached by China, and a mandate was given calling for the withdrawal of Japanese troops, which was ignored. Negotiations were unfruitful. An expedition was sent by the League led by the Earl of Lytton, and it produced the Lytton Report, stating that the supposed Japanese reason (railway sabotage by pro-Chinese forces) for invasion was false. The Japanese puppet state of Manchukuo was not recognised by the League. Soon after, Japan left the League of Nations, having been disgraced by an Assembly Vote where Japan was opposed by all members. No military action was brought forward by the League.

Thank you so much!!
Original post by BahjaA
Thank you so much!!

No problem, I am also studying GCSE History.
Reply 5
Original post by Dragolien
No problem, I am also studying GCSE History.

Are you doing OCR?
Reply 6
Original post by BahjaA
Are you doing OCR?

What is the name of your course?
Original post by BahjaA
Are you doing OCR?

No, I am doing AQA B.
Reply 8
Original post by stoyfan
What is the name of your course?

It's the Aspect of international relations 1890-1939 that's paper 1; paper 2 is the British depth studies.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by BahjaA
It's the Aspect of international relations 1890-1939 that's paper 1; paper 2 is the British depth studies.

I have Russia 1905-1942 and the Cold War

For paper 2 I believe I have: How was British society changed,1890–1918?

Quick Reply

Latest