The Student Room Group

CfE Advanced Higher Mathematics 2017/2018

>>>PAPER AND SOLUTIONS HERE<<< Video solutions will also be on DLBMaths.

Well done everyone who sat the exam for making it out alive.

The 2018 Exam will take place on the 3rd May 2018 at 9:00-12:00!!! Best of luck to everyone sitting the 2018 exam, im sure this thread will become very active as prelims and final exams approach!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ferm4t
Best of luck to everyone sitting the 2018 exam, im sure this thread will become very active as prelims and final exams approach!

//This thread will be updated throughout the year with SQA announcements listed below

Ill be doing this exam, I was supposed to sit it this year, but was prevented by illness. Im also taking Mechanics.
Reply 2
GG :congrats::congrats:
Get involved.
Reply 4
Hey everyone.
I'm a soon to be 3rd year maths student at strahclyde uni and can offer any help with any questions and help with any difficulties you may have with the advanced higher course.
I'll answer on this thread or feel free to message me privately on here.
Good luck to all.
Original post by KrisMel
Hey everyone.
I'm a soon to be 3rd year maths student at strahclyde uni and can offer any help with any questions and help with any difficulties you may have with the advanced higher course.
I'll answer on this thread or feel free to message me privately on here.
Good luck to all.

That's very kind of you, many thanks!

Hope your degree is going well.

When does everyone plan to start looking over Advanced higher stuff?
Reply 6
Original post by DonAchille
That's very kind of you, many thanks!

Hope your degree is going well.

When does everyone plan to start looking over Advanced higher stuff?

Not a problem!
The degree is going well, thanks for asking.
In my experience it is good to look over the AH material before the course starts officially as it gives you a little bit of a head start. But if your school was anything like mine, we started the course before summer but after summer we started from scratch since not everyone in the class was in the class before summer.
My main advice would be to prioritise looking over your Higher maths rather than looking over AH stuff. AH requires your Higher maths skills to be impeccable. You'll be expected to know the Higher stuff like the back of your hand.
Main Higher topics to focus on would be the new stuff you learn like differentiation, integration, vectors (especially 3D ones), functions, graph drawing and algebra. Really practice your algebra skills and algebra manipulation techniques - sometimes the algebra in AH can get quite messy so it's good to be confident as you don't want to be bogged down with the algebra in the class, you want to be confident and get those marks in the exam.
Most of AH is just further development on Higher stuff (differentiation, integration, vectors, graphs etc.) so you need to make sure that your Higher knowedge is up to scratch.
So, as much as it is good looking over some AH material before the course starts, I would make sure to look over the Higher stuff more as this will be the stuff you'll be expected to know perfectly.
I felt the jump from Higher to AH was less of a jump from Intermediate (what yous call National 5) to Higher.
Most of AH maths is expanding on Higher knowledge.
But the course is really fun and you get to indulge in a lot of different topics in maths. From proofs, to number theory and some applied stuff.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by KrisMel
Not a problem!
The degree is going well, thanks for asking.
In my experience it is good to look over the AH material before the course starts officially as it gives you a little bit of a head start. But if your school was anything like mine, we started the course before summer but after summer we started from scratch since not everyone in the class was in the class before summer.
My main advice would be to prioritise looking over your Higher maths rather than looking over AH stuff. AH requires your Higher maths skills to be impeccable. You'll be expected to be able to do the Higher stuff like the back of your hand.
Main Higher topics to focus on would be the new stuff you learn like differentiation, integration, vectors (especially 3D ones), functions, graph drawing and algebra. Really practice your algebra skills and algebra manipulation techniques - sometimes the algebra in AH can get quite messy so it's good to be confident as you don't want to be bogged down with the algebra in the class, you want to be confident and get those marks in the exam.
Most of AH is just further development on Higher stuff (differentiation, integration, vectors, graphs etc.) so you need to make sure that your Higher knowedge is up to scratch.
So, as much as it is good looking over some AH material before the course starts, I would make sure to look over the Higher stuff more as this will be the stuff you'll be expected to know perfectly.
I felt the jump from Higher to AH was less of a jump from Intermediate (what yous call National 5) to Higher.
Most of AH maths is expanding on Higher knowledge.
But the course is really fun and you get to indulge in a lot of different topics in maths. From proofs, to number theory and some applied stuff.

That's very sound advice indeed, and it's actually what I'm doing at the moment. I was supposed to sit Advanced higher last year but was very unwell for big portions of the year. I'll actually be a mature student taking a slightly different path in my academic life, I studied classics for two years after school and dropped out. As such, I currently only have GCSE in maths, so I have been working though the higher book to get up to scratch.

Currently have an offer for LSE distance learning, I'll be able to do the Maths and Economics degree if I get a C at Advanced higher. Obviously I'd like to smash that!
Reply 8
That's very sound advice indeed, and it's actually what I'm doing at the moment. I was supposed to sit Advanced higher last year but was very unwell for big portions of the year. I'll actually be a mature student taking a slightly different path in my academic life, I studied classics for two years after school and dropped out. As such, I currently only have GCSE in maths, so I have been working though the higher book to get up to scratch.

Currently have an offer for LSE distance learning, I'll be able to do the Maths and Economics degree if I get a C at Advanced higher. Obviously I'd like to smash that!

Sorry to hear that you were unable to complete the AH course last year.
I'm not too knowledgeable on the GSCE maths course but I'm pretty sure it mirrors a lot (if not all) the Higher course. Just keep working through the Higher book and fine tune your skills - that way you'll be able to focus on the new AH stuff rather than bogging yourself down revisiting Higher stuff in order to answer an AH question.
Congratulations on your offer for LSE and I hope you meet your conditions. If you only need a C then I'm sure with hard work you'll get that, but obviously you'll wanna get better than the C, like you said!
Reply 9

Make sure you get 100% caught up with Higher, especially Calculus
I'll be doing it too :biggrin:
:lurk:
I'm probably not sitting the exams in 2018, but doing preparation for them anyway. I'd be most interested to find out which, if any, textbooks people are using, and what you think of them?

For AH Maths, the choice just now is between the Brightred Study Guide (Feb 2017) and Maths in Action (Oct 2015). Leckie & Leckie have a Student Book in preparation, and also a book of Practice Papers, but not due out until August/September time. (I've got both on pre-order.) There's also the old set of three Maths In Action books, but are schools still using them?

For AH Statistics, I can only see the old Maths In Action pair. And for AH Mechanics ... there's not very much at all! Is there really absolutely nothing for the new exams?
Reply 13
Original post by Ring_Zero
I'm probably not sitting the exams in 2018, but doing preparation for them anyway. I'd be most interested to find out which, if any, textbooks people are using, and what you think of them?

For AH Maths, the choice just now is between the Brightred Study Guide (Feb 2017) and Maths in Action (Oct 2015). Leckie & Leckie have a Student Book in preparation, and also a book of Practice Papers, but not due out until August/September time. (I've got both on pre-order.) There's also the old set of three Maths In Action books, but are schools still using them?

For AH Statistics, I can only see the old Maths In Action pair. And for AH Mechanics ... there's not very much at all! Is there really absolutely nothing for the new exams?

My school used Maths in Action last year and they were pretty decent
Reply 14

This thread has been updated with the official exam date. The full 2018 SQA exam timetable can be found here.
Reply 15
Original post by Ring_Zero

When I done AH maths we just copied from the board and the only book we used was a small book from Heriot-Watt University. I'd suggest buying both the Brightred Study Guide and Maths in Action books so you have as much revision material at your disposal. I've used a few Brightred Study Guides when I was doing my Highers and they were pretty decent. But if you're going for self preperation I'd purchase both of them, if you can.
For AH mechanics I done some digging around and found the following website from a school.
http://maths.qahs.org.uk/home-study-2/ah-mechanics/
They have notes on the Mechanics course at the bottom of the page. As for textbooks I couldn't find any for the AH mechanics course.
As for AH statistics I would recommend buying the old Maths in Action book.
I did find the following links for some notes on AH statistics.
http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/AHCUSNStatistics.pdf
http://maths.qahs.org.uk/home-study-2/ah-statistics/
The second link there has some notes at the bottom.
I hope this helps you.
Original post by KrisMel
When I done AH maths we just copied from the board and the only book we used was a small book from Heriot-Watt University. I'd suggest buying both the Brightred Study Guide and Maths in Action books so you have as much revision material at your disposal. I've used a few Brightred Study Guides when I was doing my Highers and they were pretty decent. But if you're going for self preperation I'd purchase both of them, if you can.
For AH mechanics I done some digging around and found the following website from a school.
http://maths.qahs.org.uk/home-study-2/ah-mechanics/
They have notes on the Mechanics course at the bottom of the page. As for textbooks I couldn't find any for the AH mechanics course.
As for AH statistics I would recommend buying the old Maths in Action book.
I did find the following links for some notes on AH statistics.
http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/AHCUSNStatistics.pdf
http://maths.qahs.org.uk/home-study-2/ah-statistics/
The second link there has some notes at the bottom.
I hope this helps you.

That Queen Anne website is very good. I have the book "Understanding Mechanics" by Sadler et al, its pretty good and my tutor thinks it will be excellent. He also gave me an A level textbook for M1 and M2, which will probably cover some of the material.
Reply 17
That Queen Anne website is very good. I have the book "Understanding Mechanics" by Sadler et al, its pretty good and my tutor thinks it will be excellent. He also gave me an A level textbook for M1 and M2, which will probably cover some of the material.

"Understanding Mechanics" seems a good book to use, as it says it's specifically for A-level students and further and higher education. So it will probably be a good intro to mechanics. I never did AH mechanics although I have just done a mechanics course in my 2nd year. The A-level textbook would also be a good shout, as I'd imagine the A-level course would be very similar to the AH course.
Posting for updates. I've just finished my honours years of my Maths degree so while I'm not around that often if anyone has any AH Maths (and possibly mechanics) questions feel free to PM. :colonhash:
Sat this exam this year, got a B in the prelim and predicted an A in the final exam.
I strongly urge you guys to study from day 1 and not slack like I did (I only started studying 3 weeks before the prelim :/), I would not recommend taking this subject just to fill up a slot - it's a lot of work so you have to be somewhat passionate about maths, a lot of really smart people in my year didn't pass the prelim - just because you got an A for higher does not mean getting an A in Adv maths is a given. WERK. WERK. WERK.

Besides that I thoroughly enjoyed the integration and differentiation parts of the course, you'll probably start out on binomials theorom/partial fractions - really get to grips with this, it'll be a doddle in the final exam!

Hope yall enjoy the course, DLBmaths is going to be your bud throughout the coourse. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending