The Student Room Group

French Edexcel 2017 (A-level)

Does anyone have any predictions for the discursive essay and research based essay on the Unit 4 paper?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Expecting something on Trump politics ie. populism etc...maybe something on brexit?

last year they had something on 'libre circulation' which is basically referring to brexit...perhaps this year something on refugees?

this year we've seen Brexit, Trump, Le Pen nearly won....I think it's highly likely something like this will come up.

I'm revising everything but focusing on politics/refugees/far right politicians - as well as issues arising from immigration (think: terrorism/crime - other controversial topics)

in terms of research - I'm doing literature and the arts - we think something on 'le style' will come up-

they've asked about themes X2, characters X2, context X2 and style only once.....just a guess but might be right...anyway have fun revising!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Lawhopeful2017
Expecting something on Trump politics ie. populism etc...maybe something on brexit?

last year they had something on 'libre circulation' which is basically referring to brexit...perhaps this year something on refugies?

this year we've seen brexit, trump, le pen nearly win....I think it's highly likely something like this will come up.

I'm revising everything but focussing on politics/refugees/far right politicians

in terms of research - I'm doing literature and the arts - we think something on 'le style' will come up-

they've asked about themes X2, characters X2, context X2 and style only once.....just a guess but might be right...anyway have fun revising!

But are the questions not set a couple of years before? Good observation on the style, that would be a really tricky one though
Oh maybe? I've never heard of that before. I just assumed they set them based on current affairs - especially because of June 2016's questions of:

monarchy or republic (Brexit sort of brought these issues of sovereignty into discussion)
for/against free circulation (again, as mentioned before, Brexit directly involved these issues)

In any case, this is all speculation! How are you revising (for both essays)? I need an A to meet my offer so very stressful...

I'm quite lucky in that my teacher thinks style might come up so has really placed an emphasis on this...I'm doing Au Revoir Les Enfants - more than happy to share my notes if anyone wants them...?the research essay is basically worth 50% of the A2 (it's 45 marks) - so it's just as important as the other essay!Also I'm retaking my AS tomorrow - I got a very low A last year and after a year of A2, the AS paper becomes very very easy...anyone else doing this?
Reply 4
Oh maybe? I've never heard of that before. I just assumed they set them based on current affairs - especially because of June 2016's questions of:

monarchy or republic (Brexit sort of brought these issues of sovereignty into discussion)
for/against free circulation (again, as mentioned before, Brexit directly involved these issues)

In any case, this is all speculation! How are you revising (for both essays)? I need an A to meet my offer so very stressful...

I'm quite lucky in that my teacher thinks style might come up so has really placed an emphasis on this...I'm doing Au Revoir Les Enfants - more than happy to share my notes if anyone wants them...?the research essay is basically worth 50% of the A2 (it's 45 marks) - so it's just as important as the other essay!Also I'm retaking my AS tomorrow - I got a very low A last year and after a year of A2, the AS paper becomes very very easy...anyone else doing this?

I'm doing Les Mains Sales and period of History (Vichy France) and mainly going over key points, themes and characters in mind maps and key dates, quotes and vocab.
I'm also doing AS tomorrow but didn't do the actual exam last year so this is my only chance! Hope its not too hard as I heard that the Spanish was quite difficult!
You're preparing two research essays??

I've only got Au Revoir Les Enfants prepared!

the AS is actually very easy imo - I got a low A last year by sort of passive revision - I did very little learning.

I'm predicted an A at A2 so I'm doing quite well - having done the A2 course and content, the AS is a breeze - especially the writing - they plan it out for you!! with bulletpoints and everything!!

How do you feel about it?? What's your predicted A2 grade? Also what's your uni plan?

I've got an offer from Bristol for law with french which is AAA eek...
Reply 6
You're preparing two research essays??

I've only got Au Revoir Les Enfants prepared!

the AS is actually very easy imo - I got a low A last year by sort of passive revision - I did very little learning.

I'm predicted an A at A2 so I'm doing quite well - having done the A2 course and content, the AS is a breeze - especially the writing - they plan it out for you!! with bulletpoints and everything!!

How do you feel about it?? What's your predicted A2 grade? Also what's your uni plan?

I've got an offer from Bristol for law with french which is AAA eek...

Yeah my teacher prepares us for two so we have a choice in the exam. I feel okay, a little bit nervy but apparently the grade boundaries are going to be lower this year so thats a relief! I'm predicted an A overall and I got an A in my AS speaking already.

I'm going to Bristol too! (hopefully) to do French (singlehons). Need ABB to get in.
How did everyone find the AS exam today??
Original post by gracemay_
How did everyone find the AS exam today??

in all honesty... found the listening quite hard, reading was decent and essay was good. two other people i know who did the exam also said the same.

what about you?
I thought it was okay...listening was hard..

You know that question about road safety or whatever - passage two?

Do you remember what you put as your 4 tick boxes?

i was confused as didn't know whether it was in multiple countries or simply france as it was a european week but the passage only talked about a town in france??
Yes exactly!! I spent so long honestly - the passage only spoke about that french village - but it was European week???

the answers were like either 1. this project involved many countries or 2. this initiative involved ONLY france

I put 1. because i thought 'this project' is European week? also i didn't fully understand everything on the tape so i think there must have been stuff at the start ??

I know Edexcel tries to trick but it would be ridiculous to have a passage called 'European XYZ week' and then have an answer where the initiative involves 'uniquement' France?

Answers were:
- Many countries involved in the project
- Improve road safety
- Try new means of transport
- They will expand the bike trail (or however they called it)
Yes exactly!! I spent so long honestly - the passage only spoke about that french village - but it was European week???

the answers were like either 1. this project involved many countries or 2. this initiative involved ONLY france

I put 1. because i thought 'this project' is European week? also i didn't fully understand everything on the tape so i think there must have been stuff at the start ??

I know Edexcel tries to trick but it would be ridiculous to have a passage called 'European XYZ week' and then have an answer where the initiative involves 'uniquement' France?

I hate how they try to catch us out - but I think I did put solely french in the end as it talked only about what that town and their MPs were doing but I wasn't sure.
Original post by NotKidding
Answers were:
- Many countries involved in the project
- Improve road safety
- Try new means of transport
- They will expand the bike trail (or however they called it)

i know i put to improve road safety and a new means of transport but idk what i put for the other two... probably wrong argh.

what did you think of the brazilian fishing boat one? i found it so confusing... the answers didnt add up with what the passage was saying? think i put a) accusé, b) crédité c) absence, and d) privé maybe? no idea honestly it really stressed me.

Also i found the first question really hard, which is weird cos i always usually get it right?

also what did you guys write for the essay bullet points?
Original post by ameerah.qureshi
i know i put to improve road safety and a new means of transport but idk what i put for the other two... probably wrong argh.

what did you think of the brazilian fishing boat one? i found it so confusing... the answers didnt add up with what the passage was saying? think i put a) accusé, b) crédité c) absence, and d) privé maybe? no idea honestly it really stressed me.

Also i found the first question really hard, which is weird cos i always usually get it right?

Fishing boat answers were:
- Accusé
- Experimenté
- Absence
- Privé

Basically the listening said he was a fisherman with over 20 yrs experience or something similar (hence experimenté)
I could make an unofficial mark scheme but there's no way I can remember the last reading question...Too many small parts to it :smile:
Original post by NotKidding
Fishing boat answers were:
- Accusé
- Experimenté
- Absence
- Privé

Basically the listening said he was a fisherman with over 20 yrs experience or something similar (hence experimenté)

I got the same
Original post by ameerah.qureshi

What did everyone put for the first question?
Original post by lilypad1998
What did everyone put for the first question?

First question answers:
- Learn online on their website
- Qualified (diplomas in cooking)
- Cheap meals
- Making your guests happy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending