The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Economics new 7136 - 06, 13 & 19 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by coatsoft
Wait for context 1 question 1 was it the 3 or 4 firm concentration ratio?

context 1 3 firm, context 2 five country mean
Original post by junky27
context 1 3 firm, context 2 five country mean

phew haha. Thanks
Original post by ItsRoger
For the context 1 9 marker I wrote that royal mail would produce where MC=MR for profit maximisation and that the universal post service requiring them to deliver 6 days a week would increase their output to where MC=AR so their allocatively efficient and to optimize consumer surplus? Can anybody tell me if I'm right or wrong???!!!

Yeah man I did that, don't see anything wrong with it and it's wrong to say that the average cost curve would shift up if wages stay the same.
If any of you need cheering up just check aqa economics on Twitter, exam Twitter always cheers me up lool
Reply 504
No point dwelling. Move on to the next one guys!
9 Marker context 2 , didn't have too much of a clue what to write as i thought it was mainly a wage discrimantion digram, drew the perfectly competative labour market diagram and tried to explain MRP could i possibly gain 2-3 marks out of 9, I anwsered everything else so i'm hoping i could at least save 2 marks here
Original post by SANTR
No point dwelling. Move on to the next one guys!

You are right - it helps to find closure tho
Original post by Remaine
Also; for the 25 marker in Essay 3, do you need to talk about more than one policy?

If you were to:

- Acknowledge sugary drinks as a demerit good, resulting from imperfect information, which is information failure
- Use a diagram to show the effects of this demerit good in the free market (above the socially optimal level of output, where MSB=MSC)
- Define a tax, and refer to how it leftward shifts the S curve
- Use a diagram to show just that, whilst also showing the total tax paid, the total tax paid by the consumer, the total tax paid by the producer
- The advantages of tax (cost of negative externalities is internalised in the price of the good, so demand is reduced; revenue can be used to offset the negative externalities)
- The disadvantages of tax (increases cost of production reducing international competitiveness which may cause firms to relocate, doesn't work if demand is price inelastic, just because externalities can be offset does not mean they will, difficult to put monetary value on cost of the negative externalities)
- Mentioning how it depends on the price elasticity of demand, and how sugary drinks are more price elastic admittedly; but it does not mean they cannot switch to a cheaper sugary drink

How would this fare?

Cheers

To be honest that sounds almost exactly the same as my essay but I said that unhealthy food and drink could be addictive causing the PED to be inelastic. Other than that I added in a short paragraph about a potential black market that could form because I had some spare time but yeah, what you just said looks good
What was the concentration ratio ? On scenario 1
Original post by eaglescharlton
To be honest that sounds almost exactly the same as my essay but I said that unhealthy food and drink could be addictive causing the PED to be inelastic. Other than that I added in a short paragraph about a potential black market that could form because I had some spare time but yeah, what you just said looks good

That is an interesting and valid stance - I was considering habitual consumption, but thought that was more applicable to cigarettes. It would have been nice to include, as analysis is analysis; if you put some behavioural economics in there to back this up too, you smashed it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 510
Original post by Deavk006
What was the concentration ratio ? On scenario 1

It was 53.5% from what i can remember.
Original post by Jedwilk222
One way around this is if you refered to negative externalities associated with the impact on the NHS. More sugar consumed = more strain on health services = less health services available to others. Therefore the private cost of consuming these drinks e.g obesity is less than the social cost of insufficient health care available for others.

This is why I was confused when drawing my diagram and put msc higher than mpc but I did mention this
ah brill
Reply 513
What monopoly diagram was it for context 1 - Q3?
Original post by Holdsworth1
Hi everyone, I did context 2 on the gender pay gap and the essay 2 on poverty.

For the first 25 marker I wrote about how trade unions/ the NMW and progressive taxation and benefits could be used to reduce the gao in the economy and how successful each policy was.

For the second 25 marker I wrote about how the trickle down effect/economic growth could be used by the market forces to reduce poverty, and the NMW/progressive taxation and benefits for government intervention,

Does this sound about right on the whole? Found the paper fairly good.

Anyone else do this, and have an opinion on my essays?
Anyone do Essay 1? seems like im the only guy that did it out of my classmates so i got no one to talk to about it lol.
Hi I did context 1 and essay 3. I also made a complete mess of it. Only got to write half of what I wanted to because of time constraints, I probably missed out by a whole grade because of this. I also completely misunderstood the 9 marker on context one. Anyone think they messed up? :s-smilie:
Reply 517
Original post by HK4
Hi I did context 1 and essay 3. I also made a complete mess of it. Only got to write half of what I wanted to because of time constraints, I probably missed out by a whole grade because of this. I also completely misunderstood the 9 marker on context one. Anyone think they messed up? :s-smilie:

I also misunderstood the 9 marker lol as did most of my friends that I talked to. It was a little confusing
I am really not looking forward to macro, so much to cover and all the revision I did for micro and nothing really came up so I'm hoping macro has better questions haha:tongue:
Hey! Just a question; for the 15 mark question about sugary drinks, do you think it's alright if I talked about behavioural economics and mainly bounded rationality and utility and then added a market failure and consumption diagram?
Also, did anyone run out of time for the last question or was I the only one??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending