The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Economics new 7136 - 06, 13 & 19 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ayyboss
Ye, I just saw monopolies and oligopolies in the 25 marker and thought it would be easy but wasn't sure whether it would be better to do sugar tax. Then I compared the 15 markers and monopolistic question was quite easy so I chose that then realised my mistake when I started the 25 marker.

I think the idea was to describe each market and how they can be a potential market failure (i.e. inefficiencies, consumer exploitation through either monopoly abuse or oligopoly collusion, etc.) and therefore gov. should regulate but not always (maybe talk about Economies of scale, innovation, product differentiation and possibly natural monopolies, etc.). Then talk about monopolistic markets and whether gov. should regulate them. Conclusion. Also I think you had to talk about wasteful advertising (X-inefficiency) as it said in the source.

Not that I did all of this or to a good degree as I was stressing too much and rushed it = no logical structure or judgement and minimal evaluation.

I picked that question. Holy **** it was just so confusing.

It was way too easy to mix up monopolistic and monopoly when you were writing ergh
Original post by BintM
Same, it was a rushed decision. Oh well lol

I had similar points but i don't think i explained them well tbh. I also talked about the high advertising costs being sunk costs making it more contestable and less competitive but i have no idea if thats a valid point lol :dontknow:

Just got to concentrate on macro now :s

That's actually a pretty good point but wouldn't it make it less contestable as there would be higher barriers?

I'm just gonna make sure that in macro I should chill out and structure my answer before I write it. Such a good use of time I think.
Original post by ayyboss
That's actually a pretty good point but wouldn't it make it less contestable as there would be higher barriers?

I'm just gonna make sure that in macro I should chill out and structure my answer before I write it. Such a good use of time I think.

Oh yeah lol my bad.

If you have good points and context and all but a bad structure how many marks could you lose?
Anyone have good notes on fiscal policy? Like a2 notes. I can never understand how to answer questions involving that unit.
Reply 624
Original post by amerahussain
I wrote this too, but not sure. Surely if Royal Mail are only a working monopoly, they may increase output which reduces AC and pass these onto consumers as lower prices to increase SNP and market share?

Yeh I definitely think its a possible scenario so we should get at least some marks for it.
Original post by BintM
Oh yeah lol my bad.

If you have good points and context and all but a bad structure how many marks could you lose?

In the aqa mark scheme, a Level 4-5 answer (16+ marks) must be "well organised" and also have "well focused analysis with clear, logical chains of reasoning". So you would probably be limited to Level 3 which is 11-15 marks. But if your analysis and evaluation is strong enough, I guess you might be able to get into level 4 :smile:
Original post by tdfa98
Does anyone remember the exact question for the 15 marker in Essay 2

It was about the causes of poverty but I dont remember if it was UK specific
I mentioned how unemployment - seasonal, structural and cyclical - related cyclical to geographic immobility and the decline of mining in the North due to Thatcher, low skills leads to low MRP and low income and the lack of owning assets.
I also mentioned how absolute poverty can be caused by subsistence farming in the developing world - if the question was UK specific this was irrelevant. Would I get marked down for this?

It was UK specific. I remember pretty well since I was relating everything to the Uk context. I am sure you will get some credit regardless :smile: dont worry about it!
Original post by FTSE420
It was UK specific. I remember pretty well since I was relating everything to the Uk context. I am sure you will get some credit regardless :smile: dont worry about it!

I agree.. It was definitely UK specific
Original post by FTSE420

Explain the main causes of poverty in the UK
Original post by Imogensmith123
I did essay 3! And I didn't put in about behavioural economic intervention was the needed?

In the question it mentioned behavioural economics, so it gave you the option to write about it. However, as long as you wrote about alternative government policies you should be fine :smile:
do any of you guys reckon financial markets will come up on the macro paper?
I was expecting a bit more of behavioural economics being tested in the micro but was surprised to see it wasn't heavily included in the paper! (not complaining :P)
I HATE financial markets fingers cross that doesn't come up!
Original post by tamcat
I was expecting a bit more of behavioural economics being tested in the micro but was surprised to see it wasn't heavily included in the paper! (not complaining :P)

more than possible it will yes but hopefully its a section b
Original post by tamcat

Its unlikely to come up as an essay question, it is not a big enough topic. Its more about incorporating it into other essays that hint at it
(edited 6 years ago)
What did you guys write for the 25 Mark essay on Privatised?? I just waffled I don't even know what I wrote
Reply 634
Original post by hodon99999
What did you guys write for the 25 Mark essay on Privatised?? I just waffled I don't even know what I wrote
same
Hey guys collated all exam questions again, makes me really realise how much I don't know:colonhash:. I need to really get up to date with all the news and data didn't use any figures in the micro exam :s-smilie: deffo more important for macro :smile:

Topical questions

25 marks

The advantages and disadvantages of globalisation to developed countries such as the USA or the UK.

The advantages and disadvantages of free trade/protectionism

Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of Britain’s decision to leave the EU.

Analyse the consequence of a weak pound to the UK Macroeconomic performance.

Discuss the consequence of a growing account current account deficit to the UK economy.

Discuss whether deflation is a threat to the UK Economy.

Evaluate the impact of increased fiscal austerity measures on macroeconomic stability.

Discuss the impact of free market strategies versus interventionist Strategies to improve growth and development in developing countries

Evaluate whether financial market regulation is the most effective way to reduce systemic risk.

The international economy:

Using the data and your knowledge of economics, evaluate the view that the UK should focus its monetary policy on managing the exchange rate in order to improve macroeconomic performance. June 16, 25

Explain how the UK Government could reduce a balance of payments deficit on the current account, other than through the use of import controls, June 15, 15

Assess the importance of a floating exchange rate to a country trying to achieve macroeconomic stability, june 14, 25

Explain the main features of a single market, such as that which exists within the European Union (EU). (15 marks) June 13

Evaluate the possible economic costs and benefits to an EU member state, such as the UK, of being part of the EU single market. June 13, 25

Discuss the possible contribution of supply-side reforms to achieving an improvement in the UK balance of trade in goods, june 13, 25

Using the data and your economic knowledge, discuss the possible impact on the UK balance of payments of an increasing rate of inflation throughout the global economy, 25 June 14

Explain how membership of a customs union, such as the EU, affects the pattern and volume of trade between countries. June 16, 1

Monetary policy and Fiscal policy

To what extent are low interest rates appropriate in the UK at a time of high inflation? June 13, 25

Explain possible economic reasons why a government might prefer to cut government spending to reduce a budget deficit rather than raise taxes. 15 Marks June 14

Assess the effectiveness of monetary policy in the last 25 years

Macroeconomic Performance

Evaluate the view that reducing unemployment inevitably has trade-offs with other macroeconomic objectives June 15, 25

Evaluate the likely impact of a fall in the saving ratio on the performance of the UK economy June 15, 25

To what extent do you agree that a further reduction in the UK’s unemployment rate is most likely to be achieved by improvements in the supply-side rather than the demand-side of the economy? June 16, 25

To what extent do you agree that a persistent trade deficit is more damaging to the UK’s macroeconomic performance than a persistent budget deficit? Justify your answer.

Development Economics

Evaluate the effectiveness to which the financial sector can promote development in developing and emerging economies 15 M

Evaluate the view that increased economic growth inevitable worsens the gap between the rich and poor in developing countries/conflicts with other macroeconomic objectives 25 Mark

Explain the measures of development 15 M

Explain the difference between economic growth and economic development.

Financial Markets

Evaluate the case for the BofE to continue to use quantitative easing.
Anyone got predictions for what is likely to come up this tuesday? Having done well in Micro, the side I am better in, I feel nervous for tuesday; I have 200 cards to learn in order to ensure that I have learnt the whole spec and I have politics as well on Monday as well as work tomorrow and saturday night so the pressure is on.

So if you could write predictions id be interested to see what you think!
Original post by junky27
Anyone got predictions for what is likely to come up this tuesday? Having done well in Micro, the side I am better in, I feel nervous for tuesday; I have 200 cards to learn in order to ensure that I have learnt the whole spec and I have politics as well on Monday as well as work tomorrow and saturday night so the pressure is on.

So if you could write predictions id be interested to see what you think!

I predict something around protectionism / globalisation just because it fits the time frame and probably something to do with monetary policy have you econdalplus predictions in YouTube, he got same of the predictions right for micro so watch his macro potential question videos :smile: also good luck with your exams! I have maths the day after so I know how it feels
How many makes do you guys think we're needed for an A and A* in micro ?
Reply 639
Original post by physicsamor
Hey guys collated all exam questions again, makes me really realise how much I don't know:colonhash:. I need to really get up to date with all the news and data didn't use any figures in the micro exam :s-smilie: deffo more important for macro :smile:

Topical questions

25 marks

The advantages and disadvantages of globalisation to developed countries such as the USA or the UK.

The advantages and disadvantages of free trade/protectionism

Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of Britain’s decision to leave the EU.

Analyse the consequence of a weak pound to the UK Macroeconomic performance.

Discuss the consequence of a growing account current account deficit to the UK economy.

Discuss whether deflation is a threat to the UK Economy.

Evaluate the impact of increased fiscal austerity measures on macroeconomic stability.

Discuss the impact of free market strategies versus interventionist Strategies to improve growth and development in developing countries

Evaluate whether financial market regulation is the most effective way to reduce systemic risk.

The international economy:

Using the data and your knowledge of economics, evaluate the view that the UK should focus its monetary policy on managing the exchange rate in order to improve macroeconomic performance. June 16, 25

Explain how the UK Government could reduce a balance of payments deficit on the current account, other than through the use of import controls, June 15, 15

Assess the importance of a floating exchange rate to a country trying to achieve macroeconomic stability, june 14, 25

Explain the main features of a single market, such as that which exists within the European Union (EU). (15 marks) June 13

Evaluate the possible economic costs and benefits to an EU member state, such as the UK, of being part of the EU single market. June 13, 25

Discuss the possible contribution of supply-side reforms to achieving an improvement in the UK balance of trade in goods, june 13, 25

Using the data and your economic knowledge, discuss the possible impact on the UK balance of payments of an increasing rate of inflation throughout the global economy, 25 June 14

Explain how membership of a customs union, such as the EU, affects the pattern and volume of trade between countries. June 16, 1

Monetary policy and Fiscal policy

To what extent are low interest rates appropriate in the UK at a time of high inflation? June 13, 25

Explain possible economic reasons why a government might prefer to cut government spending to reduce a budget deficit rather than raise taxes. 15 Marks June 14

Assess the effectiveness of monetary policy in the last 25 years

Macroeconomic Performance

Evaluate the view that reducing unemployment inevitably has trade-offs with other macroeconomic objectives June 15, 25

Evaluate the likely impact of a fall in the saving ratio on the performance of the UK economy June 15, 25

To what extent do you agree that a further reduction in the UK’s unemployment rate is most likely to be achieved by improvements in the supply-side rather than the demand-side of the economy? June 16, 25

To what extent do you agree that a persistent trade deficit is more damaging to the UK’s macroeconomic performance than a persistent budget deficit? Justify your answer.

Development Economics

Evaluate the effectiveness to which the financial sector can promote development in developing and emerging economies 15 M

Evaluate the view that increased economic growth inevitable worsens the gap between the rich and poor in developing countries/conflicts with other macroeconomic objectives 25 Mark

Explain the measures of development 15 M

Explain the difference between economic growth and economic development.

Financial Markets

Evaluate the case for the BofE to continue to use quantitative easing.

Hi, what context in terms of a real life economic situation are they likely to put in ?

Say a question comes up on Globalisation, Free trade or Protectionism, what context do you think they will give in terms of a real life situation that happened ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending