The Student Room Group

Edexcel - Russia: 1917-91 Lenin-Yeltsin

Hey guys!

Who's taking the Russia exam? Probably the person reading this right now haha...

We have around 2 weeks left, this is just a place to ask questions and help each other out!!

Exam: 18th May

Structure:
Q1) Essay Question (20 marks) around 45 mins
Q2) Essay Question (20 marks) around 45 mins

Q3) Source analysis essay (20 marks) around 45 mins

Grade Boundaries:

A=80% (48/60)
B=70% (42/60)
C=60% (36/60)
D=50% (30/60)
etc. the grades go down in 10% (my teacher told me)

ALSO...
My teacher told me that because it's the new reformed a levels, the exam paper will be very similar to the real paper so make sure to check it out

Don't trust me on it but that's what my teacher told me

Scroll to see replies

What structure do you use when answering a Source Analysis question (q3)?
Reply 2
Original post by sarahgashii
What structure do you use when answering a Source Analysis question (q3)?

Intro outlining question

p1) for the argument
p2) against argument but same theme
p3) completely different factor

conclusion
Reply 3
Feeling alright about this exam. Pretty much planned all the spec questions and AS style questions from textbooks.
Have your teachers been marking your essays against the A Level mark scheme as opposed to the AS one? I feel like this has made my essays slightly stronger, but we shall find out.

What's your paper 2 on?
Reply 4
Part A is genuinely question on a specific leader as says in the textbook that's been endorsed by Edexcel itself. Part B usually covers a long time span period for instance how's the role of secret police changed in the period of 1917-1953 or the role of women change in 1953-1985? Etc, but how do you actually revise for the downfall of the USSR. The information on perestroika is vast cannot process right before the exam.
Reply 5
Original post by froa98
Feeling alright about this exam. Pretty much planned all the spec questions and AS style questions from textbooks.
Have your teachers been marking your essays against the A Level mark scheme as opposed to the AS one? I feel like this has made my essays slightly stronger, but we shall find out.

What's your paper 2 on?

GDR (sorry for the year late reply)
Hey - are you willing to share plans? i'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment... I have some good ones on political / economic early in period.
Reply 7
Original post by mazzletazzle
Hey - are you willing to share plans? i'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment... I have some good ones on political / economic early in period.

Message me your whatsapp, I'd be happy to help
Reply 8
How did everyone find it?
Reply 9
The one this year? Part B just hard
Original post by ak_0213
The one this year? Part B just hard

Ah yes I agree. I did the terror question and just got really confused on how to structure it. Ended up writing tons on the other 2 then going back to it at the end for the last 20 mins.
Original post by Gnatt27
Ah yes I agree. I did the terror question and just got really confused on how to structure it. Ended up writing tons on the other 2 then going back to it at the end for the last 20 mins.

Only got 30mins left for the part C and I have to read it, there goes my grade in the coffin
Original post by ak_0213
Only got 30mins left for the part C and I have to read it, there goes my grade in the coffin

Ah I wouldn't worry there is still another 50% worth left to do with the GDR and Warfare
Original post by Gnatt27
Ah I wouldn't worry there is still another 50% worth left to do with the GDR and Warfare

This gdr paper is actually okay ngl. But legit gdr is hella dead to learn.
Original post by ak_0213
This gdr paper is actually okay ngl. But legit gdr is hella dead to learn.

That Russia paper was probably the hardest of the 3 because of the sheer amount to learn. Plus it was easy to get muddled up between the 4 different leaders. GDR is much less content and just 2 leaders.
Original post by Gnatt27
That Russia paper was probably the hardest of the 3 because of the sheer amount to learn. Plus it was easy to get muddled up between the 4 different leaders. GDR is much less content and just 2 leaders.

You did the AS paper right, is only 2.
Yep Russia was hella hard, part b will traumatise me forever:frown:
Original post by ak_0213
You did the AS paper right, is only 2.
Yep Russia was hella hard, part b will traumatise me forever:frown:

Nah A2. By part b you are referring to the women and terror questions?
Original post by Gnatt27
Nah A2. By part b you are referring to the women and terror questions?

Mine was the AS exam, did you do Tudor as well?
Original post by ak_0213
Mine was the AS exam, did you do Tudor as well?

Nah I think you must be doing a different course. I do Russia, GDR and British warfare with a coursework unit.
Original post by Gnatt27
Nah I think you must be doing a different course. I do Russia, GDR and British warfare with a coursework unit.

I am doing Russia and GDR for AS Tudor for second year along with coursework

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending