The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Economics new 7136 - 06, 13 & 19 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

How would one go about answering an essay on falling/rising commodity prices on the performance UK economy.

Anyone have essay plans?
Evaluation?

Also would falling commodity prices boost exports in the sense that loads of firms import raw materials, soit helps them?
Original post by physicsamor
How would one go about answering an essay on falling/rising commodity prices on the performance UK economy.

Anyone have essay plans?
Evaluation?

Also would falling commodity prices boost exports in the sense that loads of firms import raw materials, soit helps them?

Think about how rising commodity prices affects each one of the macroeconomic objectives. How does it affect Economic growth, employment, inflation and BOP. A diagram should help a lot with this question and then do a paragraph on each of the economic objectives :smile:

Anyone have essay plans?
Evaluation?

For a rise in commodity prices:

leftward shift of SRAS (icost push nflation, slow growth, higher prices for consumers)

Reduction in the value of net exports (reduction in AD, negative multiplier effect, cyclical unemployment)

High costs mean that there is less incentive or businesses to start up, leads to a slow down on the trend rate of growth.

could actually attract demand to the uk steel industry and prevent structural unemployment in this industry

Anyone have essay plans?
Evaluation?

in the introduction you could also talk about the causes of a rise in the price of commodities (specualtive demand, increased demand due to developing economies)
Original post by RG110man
Think about how rising commodity prices affects each one of the macroeconomic objectives. How does it affect Economic growth, employment, inflation and BOP. A diagram should help a lot with this question and then do a paragraph on each of the economic objectives :smile:

Ah okay, gonna attempt to write with this structure, thank you!!

Original post by SWISH99
leftward shift of SRAS (icost push nflation, slow growth, higher prices for consumers)

Reduction in the value of net exports (reduction in AD, negative multiplier effect, cyclical unemployment)

High costs mean that there is less incentive or businesses to start up, leads to a slow down on the trend rate of growth.

could actually attract demand to the uk steel industry and prevent structural unemployment in this industry

Thank you, I'm a bit confused on how it would lead to a reduction in exports/boost the steel industry, could you explain that (sorry :colondollar:)
Original post by SWISH99
in the introduction you could also talk about the causes of a rise in the price of commodities (specualtive demand, increased demand due to developing economies)

ah okay thank you!
Ah okay, gonna attempt to write with this structure, thank you!!

Thank you, I'm a bit confused on how it would lead to a reduction in exports/boost the steel industry, could you explain that (sorry :colondollar:)

ah okay thank you!

many companies import commodities in order to produce their goods. If the price of commodities increases, the firms will have to spend more on imports. This would lead to a reduction in net exports (exports-imports). Imports are a withdrawal of the circular flow of income. Therefore, a rise in the value of imports would decrease AD, potentially leading to the negative multiplier effect.

The point about the steel industry is not as strong. Steel is a commodity (i think). The UK could take advantage of increasing world steel prices by trying to improve efficiency, which would reduce Uk steel prices, leading to an increase in demand for UK steel
so ****ed for this exam
Reply 687
Do you think financial regulation will come up?
Original post by Kaasi
Do you think financial regulation will come up?

don't really know, but I'm taking a gamble and not revising for it.
Even if I do revise it, I will 100% not chose a question on financial regulation - so I might as well not revise it
Original post by SWISH99
many companies import commodities in order to produce their goods. If the price of commodities increases, the firms will have to spend more on imports. This would lead to a reduction in net exports (exports-imports). Imports are a withdrawal of the circular flow of income. Therefore, a rise in the value of imports would decrease AD, potentially leading to the negative multiplier effect.

The point about the steel industry is not as strong. Steel is a commodity (i think). The UK could take advantage of increasing world steel prices by trying to improve efficiency, which would reduce Uk steel prices, leading to an increase in demand for UK steel

Whoops I'm an idiot, I understand thank you :smile:
How would you approach a financial regulation question if it came up?
Reply 691
Original post by GGHarambe
How would you approach a financial regulation question if it came up?

I would approach it by ignoring it
are there tariffs on services as well?
Anyone got any ideas on how to revise for paper 3? The only two specimins are miles different from one another so I don't really know what to revise and how to revise for it in terms of the essays because there's just such a broad amount of questions that could come up!
Original post by Arran1109
Anyone got any ideas on how to revise for paper 3? The only two specimins are miles different from one another so I don't really know what to revise and how to revise for it in terms of the essays because there's just such a broad amount of questions that could come up!

APT and Tutor2u papers for paper 3. Legacy papers on ECON1 and ECON2 for multiple choice questions. Remembering that it is essential to use the extract in answering every question in the case study.
please can somebody help me to understand crowding out.
Am I right in saying that in a recession Gov spending will most likely be financed through government borrowing. Therefore to raise money the gov will issue more bonds which increases the supply of pounds and therefore brings down the bonds market price. As a result this will increase the yield on bonds and most loan or mortgages use the yield as a benchmark for interest rates. Therefore, due to the increased bond yield, interest rates will increase and as a result crowd out private sector lending? absolutely no idea if i am right tho!!! HELP
Original post by Arran1109
I guess after paper 2 we might have an idea of what could come up
Original post by Gemmamcconville
please can somebody help me to understand crowding out.
Am I right in saying that in a recession Gov spending will most likely be financed through government borrowing. Therefore to raise money the gov will issue more bonds which increases the supply of pounds and therefore brings down the bonds market price. As a result this will increase the yield on bonds and most loan or mortgages use the yield as a benchmark for interest rates. Therefore, due to the increased bond yield, interest rates will increase and as a result crowd out private sector lending? absolutely no idea if i am right tho!!! HELP

think of it this way - much easier to explain
1) increased gov spending not an issue as UK gov can simply increase money suppply
2) However, this is bad for anyone holding a bond as inflation erodes the yield as coupon payments are fixed
3) Before this even happens, the expectation of this occurring leads to a fall in confidence and ratings on credit score agencies
4) this leads to a fall in demand for bonds and thus a fall in the price of bonds
5) the price of a bond is inversely proportional to yield(interest), therefore a fall in price of bond will lead to a rise in interest rates
6) investment is less attractive for firms as instead of borrowing and spending that money they can save it to and get an higher return
7) thus low levels of investment and LRAS shifts to the left
This is FINANCIAL CROWDING OUT

1) the private sector buying to many bonds as a result of the gov trying to sell the bonds in order to fund their spending will lead to a lack of resources (in this case money) for the private sector to use to invest. This also shifts LRAS to the left
This is RESOURCE CROWDING OUT
who would inflation in other countries cause the pound to appreciate?
Original post by SWISH99
who would inflation in other countries cause the pound to appreciate?

Inflation would raise the price of imports, so I think it would cause the pound to depreciate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending