The Student Room Group

Is law a good A Level to take when you choose 2 "traditional" subjects?

The traditional subjects that I would be taking would likely be Maths and History. I know taking a law A Level doesn't give an advantage at all the universities I've looked at, but is it possible it would be a disadvantage when put with Maths and History?
Original post by Goldfish4343
The traditional subjects that I would be taking would likely be Maths and History. I know taking a law A Level doesn't give an advantage at all the universities I've looked at, but is it possible it would be a disadvantage when put with Maths and History?

No, taking law would not disadvantage you (especially in combination with so-called traditional subjects). Lots of people get into the very best universities after having taken law at A level.
Original post by Snufkin
No, taking law would not disadvantage you (especially in combination with so-called traditional subjects). Lots of people get into the very best universities after having taken law at A level.

Thank you. I would like to just take it at A Level mostly just to see if I would actually like to learn about law rather than just jumping into it at university.
I do A-level law and I would personally not advise taking it there is so much to remember in terms of cases and definitions :frown:
Original post by tiredgirl123
I do A-level law and I would personally not advise taking it there is so much to remember in terms of cases and definitions :frown:

But won't all subjects have a lot to remember?
But won't all subjects have a lot to remember?

They do! But out of all of my 3 a levels there's so much more to remember for Law.
They do! But out of all of my 3 a levels there's so much more to remember for Law.

What are your other A Levels?

I'm not too bothered about having to memorise everything due to the new GCSEs which are now just memory test. Even science isn't tested on practical skills.
What are your other A Levels?

I'm not too bothered about having to memorise everything due to the new GCSEs which are now just memory test. Even science isn't tested on practical skills.

ICT, Sociology and Business. I understand what you mean but A-Levels are so much harder than GCSEs, you're expected to know a lot more and write a lot more in a short amount of time.
ICT, Sociology and Business. I understand what you mean but A-Levels are so much harder than GCSEs, you're expected to know a lot more and write a lot more in a short amount of time.

I know that the A Levels will be a lot harder than GCSEs. I guess I'll just search around for more information about law just to see if I definitely want to do it. It will either be law or Psychology (which I've heard is harder)

Quick Reply

Latest