The Student Room Group

Medicine and retaking A-Levels

Hey, I did well in AS, got AAAB but retaken 2 Maths modules to maximize my chances of an A or A* in Maths in second year. I dropped Physics so only do Maths, Chemistry and Biology at A2. I've retaken Core 1 and Core 2 as they became a lot easier after doing Core 4. I'm honestly thinking I'll achieve CCC max at the minute.
Now, I've had some horrific exams for all my subjects, and I'm not hopeful about getting A's at all. I've got offers but it's not looking good.
So my question is, as I've already retaken some Math's modules, is Medicine out of the question if I retake the entire A2 year for Maths, Chemistry and Biology. Will any uni's accept me having essentially retaken both years?
If my results are shite should I just give up?
Original post by slowdive
Hey, I did well in AS, got AAAB but retaken 2 Maths modules to maximize my chances of an A or A* in Maths in second year. I dropped Physics so only do Maths, Chemistry and Biology at A2. I've retaken Core 1 and Core 2 as they became a lot easier after doing Core 4. I'm honestly thinking I'll achieve CCC max at the minute.
Now, I've had some horrific exams for all my subjects, and I'm not hopeful about getting A's at all. I've got offers but it's not looking good.
So my question is, as I've already retaken some Math's modules, is Medicine out of the question if I retake the entire A2 year for Maths, Chemistry and Biology. Will any uni's accept me having essentially retaken both years?

Taking Yr 13 twice for medicine is not accepted by any med schools without extenuating circumstances.

Retaking maths modules within the 2 years isn't a problem, it's normal practice, restarting Yr 12 because you chose the wrong subjects for AS levels is also often acceptable. Extending your A levels to resit over 3 years will not be accepted.

There's other routes into medicine that might be worth considering (foundation might be an option or graduate entry medicine after another degree) or you might want to look into other health professional careers - there's a lot of options out there.
Original post by PQ
Taking Yr 13 twice for medicine is not accepted by any med schools without extenuating circumstances.

Retaking maths modules within the 2 years isn't a problem, it's normal practice, restarting Yr 12 because you chose the wrong subjects for AS levels is also often acceptable. Extending your A levels to resit over 3 years will not be accepted.

There's other routes into medicine that might be worth considering (foundation might be an option or graduate entry medicine after another degree) or you might want to look into other health professional careers - there's a lot of options out there.

I'm sure people have retook year 13 because they've missed out on their offers beforehand. Even some uni websites are okay with it as long as you reflect on why you have to retake. So extending your A Levels must be accepted in some cases?
I'm sure people have retook year 13 because they've missed out on their offers beforehand. Even some uni websites are okay with it as long as you reflect on why you have to retake. So extending your A Levels must be accepted in some cases?

Not for medicine

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/medicine/medical-school-resit-policies Is a bit out of date but you can always check directly.
Original post by PQ
Not for medicine

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/medicine/medical-school-resit-policies Is a bit out of date but you can always check directly.

They do. Even the link you posted says resits are allowed for some unis post year-13. E.g Brighton and Sussex is on that list. Check UEA for example. Some even don't require you to have extenuating circumstances. I think I answered my own question. Perhaps you misunderstood mine?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by qwertyuiop786
I'm in a similar position to you. I have seen a few websites where they accept it without circumstances (I'll try finding them later and shall send them). However, there is usually still a minimum they expect for the first sitting e.g. CCC.

Which exam boards are you with?

UEA is a definite uni that accept retakes without extenuating circumstances that I can think of out the top of my head. It'd be good to get a better idea about what unis we could apply for, if we flop it on results day!

You can, although your options will be extremely limited tbh and it won't be easy. It's been a while since I've looked at the resit requirements for Medical Schools but there may be a few that will accept you.

If you don't get in, you could consider GEM although that's even more competitive than the 'normal' route. Otherwise, you could consider studying abroad.

They do. Even the link you posted says resits are allowed for some unis post year-13. E.g Brighton and Sussex is on that list. Check UEA for example. Some even don't require you to have extenuating circumstances. I think I answered my own question. Perhaps you misunderstood mine?

You need at least AAB first time for UEA if you want to apply as a resitting applicant.
Original post by usycool1
You can, although your options will be extremely limited tbh and it won't be easy. It's been a while since I've looked at the resit requirements for Medical Schools but there may be a few that will accept you.

If you don't get in, you could consider GEM although that's even more competitive than the 'normal' route. Otherwise, you could consider studying abroad.

You need at least AAB first time for UEA if you want to apply as a resitting applicant.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to see come results day! Hopefully this is all for nothing :biggrin:
UEA is a definite uni that accept retakes without extenuating circumstances that I can think of out the top of my head. It'd be good to get a better idea about what unis we could apply for, if we flop it on results day!

I'm actually so scared I'm going to see U's. It's so annoying after working so hard and having done relatively well through the year. Feels like it's all been for nothing.

I plan to make a list after exams, just to say which Unis accept them and at what grades on the first sitting. That way I've got something to look at if results day doesn't go to plan because searching for all the information then will probably make me feel even more crappy.

Goodluck tho, hopefully this is just us stressing
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by PQ

That’s not true there are medical unis that accept retakes for example kings I have a cousin who retook and got in please don’t mislead people
Original post by Asiya 123
That’s not true there are medical unis that accept retakes for example kings I have a cousin who retook and got in please don’t mislead people

4 years ago when that post was made it was true.

Latest