The Student Room Group

Oxford

Hi i'm planning to apply for E and M at oxford and was wondering if my grades could get me in because i know they place a lot of weight on GCSE and i wasn't too sure how the rest of my qualifications would measure up. I have a ton of Extra curricular achievements so my Personal Statement isn't really an issue, however i have
GCSE: 3A* 8A 1 B
but Alevel i'm predicted A* A* A
in Geography, Economics and Maths respectively. Any idea if my GCSE's will weigh me down that much? I know there's also a TSE so how much weight is given to that too?
Reply 1
Original post by Z-27
Hi i'm planning to apply for E and M at oxford and was wondering if my grades could get me in because i know they place a lot of weight on GCSE and i wasn't too sure how the rest of my qualifications would measure up. I have a ton of Extra curricular achievements so my Personal Statement isn't really an issue, however i have
in Geography, Economics and Maths respectively. Any idea if my GCSE's will weigh me down that much? I know there's also a TSE so how much weight is given to that too?

GCSEs don't shout in your favour.
Joking.
E and M is an exceptionally competitive course I'm afraid with those grades and predictions it's a long shot at best and I would suggest an interview is highly unlikely given that I know someone with 11A*s and 4 A* predictions at A level who didn't even get called to interview. It does however depend on how you do in the TSA and a near perfect score in that would probably get you called to interview although even then you would need an excellent interview score.
I know for a fact that successful E & M applicants usually have around 7+ A*s in GCSEs.
The course itself is really competitive since a lot of international students apply to that course.
If you did well on your AS Level, and if you think you can do well in the Economics Admission Assessment, why don't you apply to Cambridge?
Original post by Z-27

Would you be "flagged"? What are your GCSE grades like compared to other students in your school?

Grades can be looked at contextually, if those grades are the best in a poorly performing school you'll have a much better shot, although E&M is very competitive.

If you have a couple of safe university choices, I think there is no harm in applying - it is only one slot on your form and no one here can tell you the right answer.
Reply 5
Original post by WhiteScythe
E and M is an exceptionally competitive course I'm afraid with those grades and predictions it's a long shot at best and I would suggest an interview is highly unlikely given that I know someone with 11A*s and 4 A* predictions at A level who didn't even get called to interview. It does however depend on how you do in the TSA and a near perfect score in that would probably get you called to interview although even then you would need an excellent interview score.

Exactly that would make me think they're not really just looking at the grades.
Reply 6
Original post by premedmath
I know for a fact that successful E & M applicants usually have around 7+ A*s in GCSEs.
The course itself is really competitive since a lot of international students apply to that course.
If you did well on your AS Level, and if you think you can do well in the Economics Admission Assessment, why don't you apply to Cambridge?

AS is almost entirely gone, Cambridge well definitely look to GCSEs
Original post by Z-27
Exactly that would make me think they're not really just looking at the grades.

You are right there. As Brasenose Admissions posted not long ago, all decisions to interview are taken on a more holistic basis, including grades achieved, predicted grades and admission test results.

Having said that, an earlier poster was correct in saying that E&M offer holders average >7 A* at GCSE (according to online FOI responses from a few colleges).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending