The Student Room Group

CONSERVATIVE Party sign pact with DUP (who oppose abortion for raped woman)

The Conservative party officially sign a pact with the a party, the DUP, that supports the current Northern Ireland law, which prevents woman who are raped by their family members from having an abortion. - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40403434

"Northern Ireland has one of the most restrictive abortion laws in Europe, and is the only part of the UK that does not allow abortion except in the narrowest of circumstances and not including in cases of rape, incest or fatal foetal abnormality. " Guardian.

Oh and remember that magic money tree? It appears the Tories have found it. They gave the DUP an extra £1.5 billion. I want to go cry...

These people need to go, quick. :zomg:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The DUP is what the Tories should strive to be - pro-Brexit, anti-immigration, pro-traditional values. They are a proper right-wing, conservative party, a far cry from the Tories who are basically centrists now.
I oppose abortion too but you need to realise that abortion laws are very much here to stay and this deal will most likely not change that. There are too many pro-choice Tories in order for that to happen.
Original post by Dot.Cotton
The DUP is what the Tories should strive to be - pro-Brexit, anti-immigration, pro-traditional values. They are a proper right-wing, conservative party, a far cry from the Tories who are basically centrists now.

This is so true. The Consevatives have lost touch of true conservatism, and that means preserving traditional values
Reply 4
The DUP are better conservatives than the Conservatives. They actually stand for traditional Christian values, something only the Cornerstone Group in the Conservative Party supports. True conservatism should include social conservatism as well as fiscal conservatism.
Reply 5
I don't have a problem with the party. They can believe whatever the hell they want.

The issue is with the people repeatedly voting them into office...
Labour voters: Be really nice to have University free at the point of use ...
Conservative voters: THERE'S NO MAGIC MONEY TREE YOU COMMUNIST SCUM NOW **** OFF BACK TO VENEZUELAAAA!
DUP: Can we get an extra £1 billion?
Conservative Party: Sure babe, here you go. Take £1.5 billion.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40403434
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
The DUP are better conservatives than the Conservatives. They actually stand for traditional Christian values, something only the Cornerstone Group in the Conservative Party supports. True conservatism should include social conservatism as well as fiscal conservatism.

I agree - the Tories betrayed their Christian base when they passed homosexual marriage without even a fuss. Unless you live in NI it's now UKIP or bust if you're a Christian.
Reply 8
Original post by Mathemagicien
But to be fair, tuition fees would both cost a lot more than a one-off £1bn - probably at least £35bn annually - and investment is something this country desperately needs, it will definitely repay itself.

Enough people are already going to university. There are more graduates than jobs, so why should we be encouraging even more people to go to university?
But to be fair, tuition fees would both cost a lot more than a one-off £1bn - probably at least £35bn annually - and investment is something this country desperately needs, it will definitely repay itself.

It would cost £9 and education is an investment in the economy. Do you think we skill the next generation by magic?
Original post by Reformed2010
Labour voters: Be nice to have University free at the point of use ...
Conservative voters: THERE'S NO MAGIC MONEY TREE YOU COMMUNIST SCUM!!!
DUP: Can we get an extra £1 billion?
Conservative Party: Sure, here you go.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40403434

It's called making a deal and compromising, though I wouldn't expect someone with an EU avatar to understand.
Original post by Trapz99
There are more graduates than jobs

I've never heard that before Where's your source?
I agree - the Tories betrayed their Christian base when they passed homosexual marriage without even a fuss. Unless you live in NI it's now UKIP or bust if you're a Christian.

Shouldn't base it off any religion, should just do what is best for the people. Allowing gay marriage does not affect a Christian in any way at all, unless they choose to be petty about it.
(edited 6 years ago)
It's called making a deal and compromising, though I wouldn't expect someone with an EU avatar to understand.
EU policy making works through compromising minority and majority opinions. But i wouldn't expect someone with a UKIP avatar to understand how the EU works.

Also I have a democratic right and thus free to disagree with any deal on anything I damn well like. But again, don't expect someone with a UKIP avatar to understand how the UK works either.

Silly UKIP. Aw. :h:
(edited 6 years ago)

If that is seriously what the right wants then I'm sold that as a Labour voter I am on the right side of history. Thank you.
The DUP is what the Tories should strive to be - pro-Brexit, anti-immigration, pro-traditional values.

Original post by SpreadGoodNews
The Consevatives have lost touch of true conservatism, and that means preserving traditional values

Original post by Trapz99

"Traditional values" generally means discriminating against gay people, taking away women's reproductive rights, and just generally forcing religious views and attitudes on society against its will.

We're a modern country with a secular and socially liberal society where the majority of people are either non religious or don't place great importance on religion, with Northern Ireland appearing to be something of an exception. "Traditional values" need to be consigned to the history books.
Reply 16
Original post by Reformed2010
The Conservative party officially sign a pact with the a party, the DUP, that supports the current Northern Ireland law, which prevents woman who are raped by their family members from having an abortion. - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40403434

I find it quite tedious to try to vilify anyone on any side of the abortion debate in this cack-handed way. Abortion is a complex moral question and any sensible contribution to the abortion debate will recognise that.

I'd also point out from a partisan perspective that Labour's sister party in Northern Ireland, the SDLP, are also pro-life.

Oh and remember that magic money tree? It appears the Tories have found it. They gave the DUP an extra £1.5 billion. I want to go cry...

Some of the provisions are spending over two years, some over five years. In either case, £1.5 billion isn't a huge amount of money taken over a multi-year period.

To address the tuition fees stuff in your signature - I'll put aside my obvious misgivings about you wanting to dole out middle class benefits that will harm poorer students' prospects of going to university and skip straight to the cost. £11.2 billion, according to the Labour Party's own figures, in each year.

Being christian doesn't allow you to impose on other people's freedoms.
Reply 18
How the hell you can't allow abortion for rape, incest, or fetal defects is beyond me.

How you can allow it for rape and incest if you accept that an unborn child has a right to life is equally beyond me. If you don't accept that right, then it is of course logically reasonable - but if you do, I'm not sure how you could possibly justify ending a life on the basis that a parent was raped or involved in incest.
Original post by L i b
How you can allow it for rape and incest if you accept that an unborn child has a right to life is equally beyond me. If you don't accept that right, then it is of course logically reasonable - but if you do, I'm not sure how you could possibly justify ending a life on the basis that a parent was raped or involved in incest.

Life does not start at conception. It starts at conciousness...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending