The Student Room Group

Edexcel English Literature 9TE0 - 15, 22 & 29 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussions]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
How long was everyone told to spend on each question?
Original post by marionn

One hour fifteen on the unseen and And an hour on the taught poetry (modernism for me)
Original post by marionn

Well both are weighted equally, so I was hoping for an hour each with 15 minutes planning both.
(And given the fact I remember little, I'm concerned even 5 minutes would be too much.)
These poems better not come up or else I'm screwed:

History
War correspondent
You Shiva and my mum

Don't have a clue whats going on in them and there is not much to analyse at all.
Original post by joshsimons383
These poems better not come up or else I'm screwed:

History
War correspondent
You Shiva and my mum

Don't have a clue whats going on in them and there is not much to analyse at all.

They messed up the edexcel notes for war correspondent in the revision packs so... but then again Wagner came up in Faustus and they got the houses wrong for GCSE English ....
Reply 365
can someone please explain the fox in museum poem
Original post by shrl0
can someone please explain the fox in museum poem

Basically, the fox could serve as a metaphor for us, people living in the modern era looking back on history and how it shaped us and the different cultures we live in.
The ending is rather negative which could signify a negative future or significant of all the negativity that occuered in the past and which is considered as history.
Original post by auburnstar
They messed up the edexcel notes for war correspondent in the revision packs so... but then again Wagner came up in Faustus and they got the houses wrong for GCSE English ....

It better not
Good luck for tomorrow people
Just realised how horrific some of these poems are, what the hell is Journal from a dissapointed man and that fox one? I mean Keats is hard but at least his poems have clear purposes and meanings (well, most of them) some of these poems in the anthology are so dead in things to analyse and their overall meanings.
Guys for last minute revision try this website:
http://interpreture.com/
Reply 371
John donne poem The Relic analysis someone help
Reply 372
Do we have to bring photocopies of the poems? Or do we get them in the paper?
Original post by joshsimons383
Just realised how horrific some of these poems are, what the hell is Journal from a dissapointed man and that fox one? I mean Keats is hard but at least his poems have clear purposes and meanings (well, most of them) some of these poems in the anthology are so dead in things to analyse and their overall meanings.

Someone's already explained the fox but the Journal one is about a man who plays an observing role - he can't become part of the male masculine workers because he is distanced from them emotionally (see academic dehumanising language 'monsters').

As a general tip, it does not matter if your interpretation is a bit out there! It's ok if you are creative with your analysis and you understand the poem in a way that most people might not. As long as you can make an argument/state ideas, give poetic evidence and relate it to the other poem and the theme, there isn't a "right" answer for these poems (especially given the long-winded/confusing nature of some!).
Original post by auburnstar
Someone's already explained the fox but the Journal one is about a man who plays an observing role - he can't become part of the male masculine workers because he is distanced from them emotionally (see academic dehumanising language 'monsters':wink:.

As a general tip, it does not matter if your interpretation is a bit out there! It's ok if you are creative with your analysis and you understand the poem in a way that most people might not. As long as you can make an argument/state ideas, give poetic evidence and relate it to the other poem and the theme, there isn't a "right" answer for these poems (especially given the long-winded/confusing nature of some!).

Ah okay thanks. What about you,shiva and my mum? Seems to me it's just someone taking pride in her mum's outgoingness/achievements at 80 years old.
Original post by Kat.99
Do we have to bring photocopies of the poems? Or do we get them in the paper?

You're supposed to take in blank copies of the anthology as a whole - I.e the book.
Some schools and colleges might have blank copies to lend you, but you should have your own to take in with you
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
You're supposed to take in blank copies of the anthology as a whole - I.e the book.
Some schools and colleges might have blank copies to lend you, but you should have your own to take in with you

No, the poems we need for modern-unseen comparison are in the exam paper itself.
Good fortune, people, hoping for the best!

A big thank you to @auburnstar, who has been a massive help to me, and pretty much everybody else; and a big thank you to @Beth_H, whose blog is saving my butt.

Another thanks goes to the people who helped with my admittedly many queries, in whatever way they could.

The rating system here is a tad obnoxious, so I figured let me dedicate a post to my gratitude - you're all lifesavers.

This is the last hurdle - smash it and have a great summer.
The last hurdle sounds like a poem that will be in the f*cking anthology.

Nevertheless thanks to everyone in the thread.

You can do it!
Good luck everyone! Just wanted to quickly ask though, how long are you all going to spend planning for the unseen bit? I was thinking I should go for 5 mins but even this seems unrealistic. I'll probably spend 10 minutes then 1 hour writing. Hopefully it goes well and to plan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending