The Student Room Group

Economics BSc without A level Economics

Hi, I have applied and am waiting for results day to study BSc Economics at University of Sheffield. However, I did not take A-level Economics and am worried about being very behind. (I took maths, biology, chemistry). I have heard that at some universities the first year of the course is recapping the A-level, is this true?
Original post by katie123_1998
Hi, I have applied and am waiting for results day to study BSc Economics at University of Sheffield. However, I did not take A-level Economics and am worried about being very behind. (I took maths, biology, chemistry). I have heard that at some universities the first year of the course is recapping the A-level, is this true?

Depends on the university. Best to look at Sheffield's course structure to see if it reflects what you have been doing at A level.
Reply 2
Original post by katie123_1998

As having A level Economics is not a prerequisite for studying BSc Econ at Sheffield (or most places as far as I know) I wouldn't be particularly concerned. It looks like intro macro / micro courses are mandatory in the 1st year so should cover everything you need without the assumption that you have studied the topics before. Might be worth taking a look at one or two popular introductory texts such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/Economics-Users-Guide-Pelican-Introduction/dp/0718197038 as much as anything to reassure yourself of your interest in the subject if you have not studied it before. Good luck!
Original post by GP2016
As having A level Economics is not a prerequisite for studying BSc Econ at Sheffield (or most places as far as I know) I wouldn't be particularly concerned. It looks like intro macro / micro courses are mandatory in the 1st year so should cover everything you need without the assumption that you have studied the topics before. Might be worth taking a look at one or two popular introductory texts such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/Economics-Users-Guide-Pelican-Introduction/dp/0718197038 as much as anything to reassure yourself of your interest in the subject if you have not studied it before. Good luck!

THank you so much xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending