The Student Room Group

Which uni is the best out of York,loughborough and southampton

Please give pro's and Con's
Depends on the subject.

York=Southamptom>Loughborough
Reply 2
Best for what? Why have you shortlisted those 3?

And, specifically, which course are you considering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd go York > Southampton >>>> Loughborough.

York and Southampton are both half decent, whereas Loughborough is mediocre at best and extremely overrated by the league tables.
What course(s) are you going for? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Dot.Cotton
I'd go York > Southampton >>>> Loughborough.

York and Southampton are both half decent, whereas Loughborough is mediocre at best and extremely overrated by the league tables.

O rly?

Loughborough - TEF Gold
York - TEF Silver
Southampton - TEF Bronze
Original post by Doonesbury
O rly?

Loughborough - TEF Gold
York - TEF Silver
Southampton - TEF Bronze

The TEF is a load of BS. Do you really think Bishop Grosseteste and Liverpool Hope are better universities than LSE?
Reply 7
Have you visited them?

Check the detailed course descriptions.

Southampton is a city university, not really a campus in the same way as Loughborough or York. Loughborough has a very large campus with excellent sports facilities (it's the leading sport university in the UK).

But I wouldn't say any of your 3 are especially "well known" for Physics...
Reply 8
quite a vague question. it is all down to the course, what modules they teach because i know it differs from uni to uni, the location, and your personal preference. league tables don't mean anything.
Original post by Dot.Cotton
The TEF is a load of BS. Do you really think Bishop Grosseteste and Liverpool Hope are better universities than LSE?

Clearly in terms of teaching practices, they are.
Reply 10
I don't think any of those 3 are particularly renowned for "nightlife"

https://university.which.co.uk/advice/student-life/which-university-student-survey-the-results#nightlife

But as Southampton is the bigger city I'd hazard it has the "better" nightlife.

That said Loughborough consistently tops the polls for best overall student experience
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/12195473/Top-100-universities-for-student-experience.html

And https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1599489
Okay, so this year, 2017, according to league tables for Physics, the ranking of those universities are as follows:

Southampton (18th)
York (23rd)
Loughborough (28th)

I'm assuming that you are going to be studying a three year degree in Physics for these next points. All academic viewpoints are taken from Unistats.

Southampton pros:
- Student satisfaction overall is highest out of the three universities with 94% overall satisfied with their course.
- Employment salary after 6 months of graduation is also the highest, with graduates earning £24,000 after the course (but this is a general estimate bear in mind).
- Plenty of accommodation rooms available to choose from.
- Academic support and organisation of the course are high.
- Russell Group University

Southampton cons:
- If you do not enjoy exams then with warning, this is a very exam based degree; 2nd and 3rd years have 69% and 77% exam based assessments respectively.
- 66% of students are satisfied with their students union (mot entirely bad but can be improved, but because Southampton is a city, there's lots to do outside of campus I guess).

York pros:
- Consistently high satisfaction rates with regards to the course (feedback, lecturers explaining things, academic support).
- The course at York has helped students to develop themselves personally (through gaining new skills).
- Roughly equal ratio of exams to coursework based assessments
- Shared/ensuite, catered/self catered options for accommodations are available
- Russel Group University

York cons:
- Most expensive accommodation costs out of the three universities.
- 60% are satisfied with their student's union (but again, you can enjoy nightlife outside of campus).

Loughborough pros:
- Cheapest accommodation fees out of the three universities
- Shared/ensuite, catered/self catered rooms available with Towers Hall catering students for 7 days in the week.
- Highest satisfaction out of the three universities for their students union with 90% satisfied. (Have visited the uni and it's actually brilliant).
- Shops are in close proximity as it is a university town.
- Brilliant sporting facilities.

Loughborough cons:
- Though it isn't a really really small town, it is still far smaller than a city, so it will be definitely quieter than Southampton and York.
- Not much to do in the town, but the student's union greatly compensates for this. Access by car/train/coach to Nottingham and Birmingham for bigger nights out.
- Non Russell Group university

All three universities give additional accreditation to the Physics course.

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending