The Student Room Group

Why do people brag about intelligence

We all know that one person. The self-proclaimed Albert Einstein. "Look at me I'm smarter than everyone just because I said so". Why do people feel the need to brag about intelligence? Really smart people don't feel the need to do that. They'd rather hear it from others.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You know, I don't actually know anyone like that. But someone once told me that intelligent people are at least smart enough to realise they actually know very little.
There is always more to be learnt, always more knowledge to be discovered, there is no limit. You can always learn something from another person. (I suppose the person who call themselves intelligent BUT isn't willing to learn from others is what I'd consider odd).

But I suppose it is more acceptable to simply state your relative intelligence (but not as a brag) than in other areas such as physical looks.

Looking at this from a psychological point of view, perhaps as a child, you were an anti-social bookish kid, perhaps the 'intelligent' label was a defence mechanism that as an adult you just continue to use. Perhaps you did indeed receive so many compliments on your intelligence relative to other areas, that you continue to tout that as one of your ideal traits.
(edited 6 years ago)
I once got 10/10 in a spelling test. That makes me really intelligent, right?
they're often super competitive. it's all about feeling superior.
Reply 5
They’re often not smart but just memorise the textbooks. That’s not entirely being smart since you’d have to have relevant and irrelevant off topic knowledge. I know one guy like this and the funny thing is... he failed AS & probably A2 :u:

I went to school with a lot of smart people but it never reflected in their attitude, they worked hard, knew how to have fun and always helped people when asked. Except that one kid, boring, just read textbooks and never helped people, ask him a real world scenario and he won’t even apply the textbook to it - he’ll basically quote what the textbook says rather than actually applying it lol so he clearly didn’t have the smarts.
Why do people brag about anything?
Why do people brag about being ripped or how much they can lift?
they have self-esteem issues

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't read books??!

Spoiler

Reply 10
It is my opinion that intelligence accounts for a small fraction of what we know.

It all boils down to who can be bothered to do the reading and do their research in the end.

This is why 'smart' students are not naturally like that, they just have a very conscientious attitude towards putting the hours into academic work.

They are 'secret studiers' who claim to not do much work, when actually as soon as they get back to their house the first thing they do is grab a coffee and revise. It's their way of remaining competitive with you; so they brag about doing little work to achieve.

When actually, unless they are gifted, (which they probably aren't) - they are just spluttering lies.

Only <1% of people can naturally take info in and memorise every last word. The other 99% it takes a very long time to get to the same level as the true geniuses.

That's why you need to put 20 hrs a week for 50 years to be considered an 'expert' at something. (Equates to 10,000 hrs).

It takes a very long time indeed to get to knowing lots of things. So people who brag about knowing everything are just being arrogant and silly (unless you've met a bright, smart, gifted genius, which you probably have not).
(edited 6 years ago)
People always down to brag about their knowledge in order to get a reaction like 'wow, such knowledge' or whatever are needy and reaction-seeking. They feel a need to have the attention on them, and this is their way of doing it.

They're smart, but they make the mistake that they believe nobody's smarter than them, which makes them less smart than someone truly smart.

I know this because my dad does it and I can practically feel the puke coming up my oesophagus every time.
Bro allow,Kyx is already banned.
There are few things people wouldn't brag about, so isn't that surprising.
Reply 14
Your maths puns are good enough for me. Very witty
I don’t know, it could be because they are incredibly insecure and only think they’re smart because their opinion is that they’re smart, and some think that opinion = fact.
I prefer not to receive any praise, it just feels like a circlejerk to me, I don’t need to hear 50 people saying how well I did, I just need 5 telling me how I can improve.
Original post by WhoDaresWins
Sorry what?... Did someone just mention Kyx?

Thankfully Kyx is long gone :h:
Reply 17
Oh come on, you're very quick witted.

Spoiler

100%, gotta refer to doge every now and then.
Reply 19
Original post by _gcx
Thankfully Kyx is long gone :h:

Permanent ban?

Quick Reply

Latest