The Student Room Group

Does anyone else find British food generally bland?

Compared to the majority of the countries I have been to, it seems like so many people here don't season their food. And by seasoning I don't even mean just spices; herbs and even salt and pepper are underused in many dishes. I went to Fridays and ordered a steak, which turned out to be the driest, most tasteless stake I have ever tasted. I added salt and pepper and covered it with Jack Daniels sauce to make it edible. Fridays was much better when I had it abroad.

A number of other European countries are the same when it comes to food. It's the Mediterranean European countries that have great cuisines.

I love roasts, pie and mash, and other traditional British dishes when they are home-cooked by someone who knows how to season. They're rarely good when eaten at a restaurant though.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

yes we arabs have spice !!!
Original post by Eunomia
Compared to the majority of the countries I have been to, it seems like so many people here don't season their food. And by seasoning I don't even mean just spices; herbs and even salt and pepper are underused in many dishes. I went to Fridays and ordered a steak, which turned out to be the driest, most tasteless stake I have ever tasted. I added salt and pepper and covered it with Jack Daniels sauce to make it edible.

A number of other European countries are the same when it comes to food. It's the Mediterranean European countries that have great cuisines.

I love roasts, pie and mash, and other traditional British dishes when they are home-cooked by someone who knows how to season. They're rarely good when eaten at a restaurant though.

I agree! I love a good, spicy curry on the weekend!
(edited 6 years ago)
Us Asians have dat spicy curry
I love all kinds of food, honestly, I enjoy British food just as much as I enjoy Asian foods.

I rarely ever dislike food/not enjoy them.
Original post by elforjg02
yes we arabs have spice !!!

I love Arab food, many dishes aren't chili but they're full of flavour.
Cut the bs, you don't need good-tasting food. Eat food regardless of taste. Man or woman the forkk up.

Food is overrated*
Original post by Eunomia
I love Arab food, many dishes aren't chili but they're full of flavour.

yeah i love it too :tongue: the bland dishes to arabs are probz the spiciest a British person ever had lol
yeah i love it too :tongue: the bland dishes to arabs are probz the spiciest a British person ever had lol

Arab food? What's that....and where can i get it
Reply 9

Indian here saying what?
wasn't balti invented in England?
British food? You mean fish and chips?
I love British food.
Original post by JustDoIt!
Arab food? What's that....and where can i get it

food originated from arabic countries lol and anywhere really im sure there has to be an arabic restaurant where you live
Original post by TheBBQ
Indian here saying what?

fam we all know indian food is bomb too ! :biggrin:
food originated from arabic countries lol and anywhere really im sure there has to be an arabic restaurant where you live

Any dishes you recommend?
Reply 16
Wallahi once you've had jollof rice British food doesn't cut it.
Original post by Emerald7770
British food? You mean fish and chips?

😂😂😂😂
Reply 18
fam we all know indian food is bomb too ! :biggrin:

I mean I don't think arab food is as spicy as Indian food.. some of us eat whole chillies for goodness sake :tongue:
beans on toast

/thread

Quick Reply

Latest