The Student Room Group

Chemistry advise

i didn't do my GCSE in chemistry would it be a good idea to take it for a level if i had a tutor for it as well or would i be too behind and fail the subject.... keep in mind i am very behind i haven't done much but I'm willing to put my all into it.
Reply 1
Original post by sarah1223
i didn't do my GCSE in chemistry would it be a good idea to take it for a level if i had a tutor for it as well or would i be too behind and fail the subject.... keep in mind i am very behind i haven't done much but I'm willing to put my all into it.

Most of the stuff taught in GCSE chemistry are lies. Literally.

You should be fine if you work hard and do papers etc.

I couldn't even remember GCSE chemistry when I started A level chemistry
Original post by SGHD26716
Most of the stuff taught in GCSE chemistry are lies. Literally.

You should be fine if you work hard and do papers etc.

I couldn't even remember GCSE chemistry when I started A level chemistry

A lot of A-level is still "lies"
Reply 3
Original post by The Wavefunction
A lot of A-level is still "lies"

Great. Filling my head with bullsh*t since 2013.

But my point is more that the stuff you learn in GCSE isn't really applicable much to A level anyway
yes you can do it. just be prepared to be confused a lot with the amount of bs which doesn't make sense half the time.
Reply 5
so you think it would be better do do chemistry instead of math?
so you think it would be better do do chemistry instead of math?

what do you want to do in the future?

generally maths alevel is better imo
Reply 7
well I'm pretty bad at maths and i just haven't seen chemistry for like a year and a bit i want to do something with animals or become nurse dentist something like that
well I'm pretty bad at maths and i just haven't seen chemistry for like a year and a bit i want to do something with animals or become nurse dentist something like that

ok, do chemistry then
Reply 9
sorry for so many questions super nervous about a level... but i guess as i haven't done chemistry for nearly 2 years i would be quite bad at it but will i be given the chance to excel in it if i study super hard before school starts? and also any books you recommend to get me super prepared for it! sorry again ahaha
sorry for so many questions super nervous about a level... but i guess as i haven't done chemistry for nearly 2 years i would be quite bad at it but will i be given the chance to excel in it if i study super hard before school starts? and also any books you recommend to get me super prepared for it! sorry again ahaha

it's alright, I'm here to help anyway so.

yes you will struggle no way around that (just life).

if you study super hard then you will catch up and succeed.

actually, GCSE chemistry is easy and most of it is irrelevant because it is all lies, so I wouldn't make much of a fuss about that because you will learn the relevant content at alevel.

so it's all very possible, just ensure you work hard and STAY ON TOP OF WORK. You should also mention to your teacher that you didn't do GCSE.

Books? it depends on your exam board: I only revise use the textbook, everything else is online.

A good online website for chemistry is called "chemguide"
Original post by SGHD26716
Great. Filling my head with bullsh*t since 2013.

But my point is more that the stuff you learn in GCSE isn't really applicable much to A level anyway

I think it's harsh to call what you learn lies, but a lot is "dulled down" to make it teachable. The models used work perfectly well for A-level but breakdown in certain situations.
Original post by The Wavefunction
I think it's harsh to call what you learn lies, but a lot is "dulled down" to make it teachable. The models used work perfectly well for A-level but breakdown in certain situations.

what content are "lies" in alevel? what am I being taught falsely on? :smile:
Reply 13
thank you so much!! I'm gonna get on to studying !!!
Original post by BTAnonymous
what content are "lies" in alevel? what am I being taught falsely on? :smile:

Like I said, lies isn't really the correct word, but stuff like you don't neccesarily have to have 2 electrons to form one bond. You can stuff like 3 centred two electron bonds, where you have 3 atoms with two bonds and two electrons. Admittedly these bonds are really weak but NMR proves that that is the correct structure. It's more that you aren't told the full truth as opposed to being lied to. There will be other examples but it's been a while since I did A-level chem, but Valence bond theory is the big one. At degree level you use molecular orbital theory to explain bonding. Most of chemistry is centred around that.

Quick Reply

Latest