The Student Room Group

How to remember Geography case studies?

I've got to remember 10 case studies plus my fieldwork investigation for my Geography GCSE and I'm struggling to remember which effects/responses/background info goes with which. Can anyone give me any revision tips for this?
CPG guides. And make notes to stick around your house (places you look often at) like the fridge, bathroom, sofa and in your bedroom :biggrin:
We had to learn 11. I put them on flashcards and had my brother test me. You can also make mind maps. Don't try to learn everything, also - if there's six points under each header, learn two or three that you can explain well.
I made up most of my case studies and stats for GCSE geography and got an A* and also for AS in which I got an A in. I doubt the examiner will have time to check.
Original post by laurawatt
CPG guides. And make notes to stick around your house (places you look often at) like the fridge, bathroom, sofa and in your bedroom :biggrin:

Good idea, thanks :smile:

Original post by Ediesedgewick
I made up most of my case studies and stats for GCSE geography and got an A* and also for AS in which I got an A in. I doubt the examiner will have time to check.

Lol really? That's reassuring if I can't remember them.

Original post by orderofthelotus
We had to learn 11. I put them on flashcards and had my brother test me. You can also make mind maps. Don't try to learn everything, also - if there's six points under each header, learn two or three that you can explain well.

Okay thank you :smile: so I don't have to remember everything, just the key points that I can expand on and explain?
Original post by Pepsi_Max

Okay thank you :smile: so I don't have to remember everything, just the key points that I can expand on and explain?

Yeah. I'm assuming you're doing AQA spec A? They won't ask you to rewrite your entire textbook. An 8 marker (9 marker if you're doing 9-1) needs maximum 3-4 points explained.
(edited 6 years ago)
I've got to remember 10 case studies plus my fieldwork investigation for my Geography GCSE and I'm struggling to remember which effects/responses/background info goes with which. Can anyone give me any revision tips for this?

I do AS geography and have a lot of case studies, basically make a flash card for each. You only have to know very key concise important information. Think about how the case study fits into your course. :smile:
Original post by orderofthelotus
Yeah. I'm assuming you're doing AQA spec A? They won't ask you to rewrite your entire textbook. An 8 marker (9 marker if you're doing 9-1) needs maximum 3-4 points explained.

I'm doing AQA 9-1. And that's good to know, means I can condense it a lot : )
Original post by SuperHuman98
I do AS geography and have a lot of case studies, basically make a flash card for each. You only have to know very key concise important information. Think about how the case study fits into your course. :smile:

Okay thank you :smile: Will do flashcards then. How is AS Geography? Thinking about taking it.

We had to learn 14 and only 3 of them were gonna come up. I remembered 6 and all 3 that came up were in my 6.

I would say pick the most likely to come up and practice them and then do the rest after you have them locked down.
Okay thank you :smile: Will do flashcards then. How is AS Geography? Thinking about taking it.

AS Geography I am on Edexcel btw.

I study Tectonic Hazards, Coasts, Globalisation and Regenerating Places. Geography is very interesting for me, its just so cool to learn about the coast and know the theory behind whats happening globally and around us.

You should consider AS Geography if...

You like exams that have a wide variety of questions rather than exams that focus on a few essays. (For me this is how Geo contrasts History)

I really like learning about new useful information, and Geography does this.

You don't mind going on fieldtrips (we had to go on 2 1 was a few months before the exam one after). These were really good tho

You like writing essays :tongue:

You like GCSE Geography

You don't mind Science/maths. Basically in Geography there is basic statistics, basic graphs, stuff like accuracy,reliablity of results, science terminology for fieldwork but its at a much more basic level imo as I can manage it :tongue:.

You want to do coursework in A2?

Willing to learn a lot of content

Geography is a hard subject, but so are most A-levels. Its all about practice, at the start of the year I remember getting a U on work set about the Primary and Secondary hazards of volcanoes and earthquakes. I revised it that weekend , and over the year kept revisiting it. I became an expert, and in my AS Geo exam it came up as a 6marker and I probably got 5/6 marks :smile:. I kept revisiting my notes over the year, and learning case studies.
Original post by Balkaran
We had to learn 14 and only 3 of them were gonna come up. I remembered 6 and all 3 that came up were in my 6.

I would say pick the most likely to come up and practice them and then do the rest after you have them locked down.

In my GCSE Geog exam one of the 9markers or 8 (the case study question) was not actually a case study question (apparently examiners can do that). So for Physical I only needed to learn 2:colonhash:
I just memorized it, just learn at least 3 points for effects/ cause/ solutions/ primary impacts and secondary impacts. When I was doing it I found out that some didn't have much primary or secondary impacts, so you will have less points, that cover different areas. Enough to memorize case studies.

Quick Reply

Latest