The Student Room Group

Is biomedical science worth it

Hi I want to do a degree in biomedical science. Do you think it's worth it? As in are there jobs available for graduates and how easy is it to get a job? Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Emma201246
Hi I want to do a degree in biomedical science. Do you think it's worth it? As in are there jobs available for graduates and how easy is it to get a job? Thanks

Well that's a tough question. It is probably the biggest area in the life sciences. Just look at the PhDs available. Most of them are biomed.

Medical jobs continue to be sought after and with growing human age that's not going to change. However, overpopulation is a real threat to the competition factor.

I'd say by now most jobs are highly competitive. There are a few niches that may not be or which are particularly sought after right now like data sciences. But in time even they will fill up.

Biomed definitely offers you great skills for the future.

But here's the real deciding factor, if you know you're going to love biomed, definitely do it. Because frankly, you'll be best at what you love!
Reply 2
Original post by Afiah90
Well that's a tough question. It is probably the biggest area in the life sciences. Just look at the PhDs available. Most of them are biomed.

Medical jobs continue to be sought after and with growing human age that's not going to change. However, overpopulation is a real threat to the competition factor.

I'd say by now most jobs are highly competitive. There are a few niches that may not be or which are particularly sought after right now like data sciences. But in time even they will fill up.

Biomed definitely offers you great skills for the future.

But here's the real deciding factor, if you know you're going to love biomed, definitely do it. Because frankly, you'll be best at what you love!

Thanks very much 👍🏾 But I've been told there are no/very few jobs available for biomed graduates do you agree with this?
I finished my degree on the Friday and began my career as a Biomedical Scientist on the Monday. If you want to work in the NHS as a BMS then the quickest and most employable route is via BSc Healthcare Science. If you're not interested in being a NHS BMS, then you've got some other options.
Reply 4
Original post by TraineeBMS
I finished my degree on the Friday and began my career as a Biomedical Scientist on the Monday. If you want to work in the NHS as a BMS then the quickest and most employable route is via BSc Healthcare Science. If you're not interested in being a NHS BMS, then you've got some other options.

Can you give more detail about the BSc healthcare science. How does that get you to become a BMS? What uni did you do this course? Thanks
Can you give more detail about the BSc healthcare science. How does that get you to become a BMS? What uni did you do this course? Thanks

The UCAS website will tell you what courses do this site. Even better, the NHS website when you look at the Practitioner Training Program on there.

It leads you to become a BMS because it is the ONLY course that allows you to gain HCPC registration during the 3-year's. HCPC registration is required to be a BMS. You cannot legally call yourself a BMS without it, it's actually a criminal offence.
Reply 6
The UCAS website will tell you what courses do this site. Even better, the NHS website when you look at the Practitioner Training Program on there.

It leads you to become a BMS because it is the ONLY course that allows you to gain HCPC registration during the 3-year's. HCPC registration is required to be a BMS. You cannot legally call yourself a BMS without it, it's actually a criminal offence.

Thanks very much 👍🏾 One more question, would you say the job market for BMS graduates is good?
Thanks very much 👍🏾 One more question, would you say the job market for BMS graduates is good?

In terms of the NHS only, it depends on the discipline. My current lab, Biochemistry, are struggling to recruit and are having to settle for Trainee roles. Other disciplines such as Microbiology, on the other hand, are much more competitive.
Reply 8
In terms of the NHS only, it depends on the discipline. My current lab, Biochemistry, are struggling to recruit and are having to settle for Trainee roles. Other disciplines such as Microbiology, on the other hand, are much more competitive.

Okay sounds like I can get a job then😁 Thank you very much 👍🏾
Yes. Science degrees have better starting salaries than humanities and most social science degree. However, that shouldn't be your only factor. Whether you enjoy it should be your main factor...hence why i'm going to study history :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by jungleseu
Yes. Science degrees have better starting salaries than humanities and most social science degree. However, that shouldn't be your only factor. Whether you enjoy it should be your main factor...hence why i'm going to study history :smile:

I agree on loving what you do but honestly I love science(i.e. biology) and can't see myself doing anything else🙂
However I am worried about the job availability because tho I love it I don't want to do it and have no job to do with it, which will be a waste of my time doing that degree 😉

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending