The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Is queen Mary good ?

So I don't think I've met my firm uni offer of AAA and I might have potentially gotten A*AC.
I'm thinking about clearing for qmul for the same course. Is queen Mary quite a good university or is it just average? Compared to the likes of ucl

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by robinhood111
So I don't think I've met my firm uni offer of AAA and I might have potentially gotten A*AC.
I'm thinking about clearing for qmul for the same course. Is queen Mary quite a good university or is it just average? Compared to the likes of ucl

its fine not amazing (i dont go there im just talking about how i perceive them)
also im in the same position as you, i know a guy who missed his offer to ucl, got a first at queen marys now works at barclays upon graduating
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by Inker
its fine not amazing (i dont go there im just talking about how i perceive them)
also im in the same position as you, i know a guy who missed his offer to ucl, got a first at queen marys now works at barclays upon graduating

For them not being that great they certainly do require some high grades, that's amazing that they got a first, I wanna do a masters with my course so I'd probably be stuck there for 4 years if I went (unless I pay the 9k out of my own pocket for the masters year and I probably can't afford that), tbh I think the area is putting me off a little, compare soho to Mile End😭😭
Surrey is my insurance and I know I'll probably get in but I've changed my mind in the last second and decided to stay in London.
Obviously it is dependent on the course but QMUL has a great reputation across the world. Most people only regard some of the "good schools" to be Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, LSE but the type of applicants are of those school's calibre. I would love to go to Queen Mary in September and I don't understand why people think that it's any lesser than any other university. Particularly as a law student, it ranked in Guardian 2018 University ranking as third, just behind Oxford and Cambridge. So if you're going to go exclusively off rankings then that's a pretty good show of QMUL's good reputation. They also score consistently highly in rankings in the UK and across the world, not to mention they're part of the 'elite' Russell Group universities, known for their high quality teaching and research.
(edited 6 years ago)
For science based subjects it is pretty good but I have it as my insurance for English... but I will enter clearing if I miss my firm. The only thing about QMUL, They think they are better than they actually are and I didn't like that arrogance. It was going to be my firm until I saw Southampton uni where they were higher for my course and didn't seem to pressure students. Hope this helps 🙂

I go to QMUL and whether it is good is very much dependent on your department. I study English and History. The English department is okay but the History department is amazing. Very good lecturers.

The area I'll admit Mile End is bit of a dump but Tower Hamlets is one of the most deprived London boroughs. The university is not far from the better parts of London. Only a few train stops away from the London party scene. So you won't have much trouble enjoying the night life.

I can't tell you much about the university's accommodation as I am a commuter but from what I've seen when I've visited friends in their rooms, they're pretty small. All the rooms have en-suite and you share kitchens.

QMUL also has a lot of career opportunities. The student union advertises a lot of voluntary opportunities. There is also something called QProjects where you can be a project leader with different organisations. They also have temp jobs advertised through QTemps as well. You can also do mock interviews and get feedback on your CV and application forms.

So far, I've had a mixed experience but it has nothing to do with QMUL and more to do with my own personal circumstances. QMUL is very supportive of any issues you may have and will try to help you the best way they can.
Arse-end of the Russell Group.
QMUL is a truly great place. It's part of the prestigious Univ of London, and belongs to the The Russell Group, the top 24 research universities. St Bartholomews Hospital , & the Royal London Hospital form its medical school, two of the oldest and most famous hospitals in the world.
Particularly strong in Law, Medicine, Geography, History, English, Engineering.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm 27 - when I applied for uni 10 years ago it was mediocre/average but it has improved in the last ten years or so.
Now their calibre students is a lot higher.
Its in the Russell group but it is the lower end with Cardiff, Liverpool etc.
So its good but not amaze or top!
I go to Queen Mary
At the beginning I was hesitant to go there, mainly because I live very close to QM and I really just wanted to travel further.
But honestly, it is the best decision I have made. The School of Biological and Chemical Sciences is really really good.
One of the best things about Queen Mary is the graduate employment - we are top 10, almost all graduates are either in further studies or have got a job.

Like @constantine2016 said, QMUL also has a lot of career opportunities for student's which pay the London living wage (£9.92 an hour) and there are volunteering opportunities too.

Most people are put off by Queen Mary because of the area it is in, but the actual campus is very nice and clean.
Personally, I'm not too bothered about the area.
What about Math? Does anyone know how good is the math department? Is it better than Brunel when it comes to studying this course?
What about business studies i did my bacjelors frm uel n apllied to king college n queen university .got offer frm queen .please im confuse abt my decision
Original post by thenextchemist
I go to Queen Mary
At the beginning I was hesitant to go there, mainly because I live very close to QM and I really just wanted to travel further.
But honestly, it is the best decision I have made. The School of Biological and Chemical Sciences is really really good.
One of the best things about Queen Mary is the graduate employment - we are top 10, almost all graduates are either in further studies or have got a job.

Like @constantine2016 said, QMUL also has a lot of career opportunities for student's which pay the London living wage (£9.92 an hour) and there are volunteering opportunities too.

Most people are put off by Queen Mary because of the area it is in, but the actual campus is very nice and clean.
Personally, I'm not too bothered about the area.

hi what course do you do
Original post by anonymousmoon
hi what course do you do

I did chemistry
I've graduated now
I did chemistry
I've graduated now

thats awesome! im about to start biochem next week, are employment prospects good at qm for courses like ours
Original post by anonymousmoon
thats awesome! im about to start biochem next week, are employment prospects good at qm for courses like ours

Congratulations! I do hope you enjoy it.
I had blogged about my university experience when I was at queen mary, do check it out:

https://thenextchemist.wordpress.com/

Like with most degrees from any university, you won't be able to find a job if you don't put in the hardwork yourself.
Students can go a whole three or four years at university without joining any societies, taking part in any extracurricular activities or applying for any internships and then complain about not being able to get a job after graduating or perhaps, blaming the university for not placing you a pathway to success.
Queen Mary offer so much support and opportunties for students to network.
I highly recommend joining QConsult, Qtemps, volunteering scheme or other programmes queen mary offer.
http://www.careers.qmul.ac.uk/jobs-and-experience/
The careers centre is also very helpful and have won awards for providing students with job support, you can sign up for weekly updates for networking opportunities as well as internships.
Queen Mary also offer summer or year abroad schemes which many students take on. Some of my friends have been to china, malaysia, america, austrailia, etc.
As a biochemist, you will also be in the labs - you can ask your favourite lecturer or your advisor if you can do an internship with them over the summer during your time.
And there's also the obvious option of looking online for work placements, year in industries and internships during your 3 years at Queen Mary.
So as you can see, the opportunities are endless but it's all down to you at the end of the day

I hope this helps and good luck!

It’s good, it’s one of the top 50 Unis in the UK.
yes ma'am!

it's an rg so it's good.
I wanna apply their for medicine I heard it is one of the better medical schools. Not the best but albeit respectable.
Congratulations! I do hope you enjoy it.
I had blogged about my university experience when I was at queen mary, do check it out:

https://thenextchemist.wordpress.com/

Like with most degrees from any university, you won't be able to find a job if you don't put in the hardwork yourself.
Students can go a whole three or four years at university without joining any societies, taking part in any extracurricular activities or applying for any internships and then complain about not being able to get a job after graduating or perhaps, blaming the university for not placing you a pathway to success.
Queen Mary offer so much support and opportunties for students to network.
I highly recommend joining QConsult, Qtemps, volunteering scheme or other programmes queen mary offer.
http://www.careers.qmul.ac.uk/jobs-and-experience/
The careers centre is also very helpful and have won awards for providing students with job support, you can sign up for weekly updates for networking opportunities as well as internships.
Queen Mary also offer summer or year abroad schemes which many students take on. Some of my friends have been to china, malaysia, america, austrailia, etc.
As a biochemist, you will also be in the labs - you can ask your favourite lecturer or your advisor if you can do an internship with them over the summer during your time.
And there's also the obvious option of looking online for work placements, year in industries and internships during your 3 years at Queen Mary.
So as you can see, the opportunities are endless but it's all down to you at the end of the day

I hope this helps and good luck!

omg thanks so much!! this was very helpful, i will definitely check your blog out right now (:
what are you planning on doing this year ((: i hope things for well for you!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending