The Student Room Group

alevel results help + advice

Hi. I was predicted 3A* with 8's and 9's in GCSEs and offer from ucl. I got my alevel results today and they were ABB and im devastated. i've got queen mary, which is of course good but i feel so miserable about my results. is re sitting worth it or should i firm it??
Original post by updown14
Hi. I was predicted 3A* with 8's and 9's in GCSEs and offer from ucl. I got my alevel results today and they were ABB and im devastated. i've got queen mary, which is of course good but i feel so miserable about my results. is re sitting worth it or should i firm it??

I acctually got the same results. Did queen mary accept you?
Three really important considerations:

Did you expect to do much better at A-level? What do you think went wrong? Do you think your results would improve much given another year? You may be able to request your scripts back and go through them.

Have you researched QMUL and visited? Are you happy with the course and university?

Do you have the (financial/practical) means to take a year out and resit? Have you asked your previous college if they would let you resit your exams there?

(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by particularlynone
I acctually got the same results. Did queen mary accept you?

yeah but i had contexual

Have you looked at the grade boundaries? How far off As were you?

Original post by _gcx

Did you expect to do much better at A-level? What do you think went wrong? Do you think your results would improve much given another year? You may be able to request your scripts back and go through them.

Have you researched QMUL and visited? Are you happy with the course and university?

Do you have the (financial/practical) means to take a year out and resit? Have you asked your previous college if they would let you resit your exams there?

This is such a helpful post.

I don't think it is worth rushing to accept to QMUL or feel the pressure to attend there if it is not what you truly want.
Reply 5
Original post by _gcx

1. its most likely my home conditions (have no room, no quiet space, no table etc) but nobody would take that into consideration.
2. Queens is not a bad uni but its definitely not the UCL/Imperial i was originally aiming for. It definitely not my vibe and I'm still stuck thinking about ucl
3.nope, i dont. however i havent asked my 6th form yet if they'll let me sit so ill try that
Reply 6
Original post by She-Ra
Have you looked at the grade boundaries? How far off As were you?

This is such a helpful post.

I don't think it is worth rushing to accept to QMUL or feel the pressure to attend there if it is not what you truly want.

does anyone know anything about transferring. For example if i did well in the first year of Queen Mary then transferred to ucl. Is that possible?
does anyone know anything about transferring. For example if i did well in the first year of Queen Mary then transferred to ucl. Is that possible?

This is a really risky strategy and we don't usually recommend it.

Lots of helpful advice here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424
Reply 8
Im in the same position, good gcse's, predicted a*'s and a's, ended up with abb and missed out my offer at imperial. I got into my insurance, Newcastle, however I do not think I will go. At the end of the day you have to ask yourself can I be content and get the career I want with these grades, and if the case is yes, do not waste a year re-sitting. If not, now is the best chance you will get to redeem it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending