The Student Room Group

If I get A*A*A on results day, should I take a gap year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SuperHuman98
Oxbridge compare GCSE's to your school's average

I am applying (if I get good AS grades on results day) with similar GCSE's to yours, I resat year 12 with different subjects. I say you should go with it especially with those achieved grades, and imo admissions test can help put a weaker GCSE profile to one side.

Good luck!

I didn't resit year 12 with different subjects though :s-smilie:? Wouldn't that look bad
Original post by APersonYo
I didn't resit year 12 with different subjects though :s-smilie:? Wouldn't that look bad

I think if they don't want that then it will say on the entry requirements (usually for courses like medicine?). Have you had a check?

Tagging @Doonesbury who may help. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 22

I think if they don't want that then it will say on the entry requirements (usually for courses like medicine?). Have you had a check?

Thanks for the tag :smile:

OP, I'm sure you've asked this before? Anyway it will entirely depend on the university's view of resits and your particular circumstances. Check what they say (i.e. call them up and ask them).

If you want Cambridge's view you can ask an actual Admissions Tutor in her thread here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4847466

Also the same AT is hosting an event at Christ's College for students potentially in your situation.
https://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/admissions/post-results-advice-clinic-2017
Reply 23
Original post by Doonesbury
Thanks for the tag :smile:

OP, I'm sure you've asked this before? Anyway it will entirely depend on the university's view of resits and your particular circumstances. Check what they say (i.e. call them up and ask them).

If you want Cambridge's view you can ask an actual Admissions Tutor in her thread here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4847466

Also the same AT is hosting an event at Christ's College for students potentially in your situation.
https://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/admissions/post-results-advice-clinic-2017

I haven't asked this before haha. I just might got an A* in maths and chemistry so I'm a bit like EH what do I do.Everyone else is suggesting cambridge Im like hell no
Reply 24

'we would be concerned about an applicant who is retaking large numbers of exams, unless this number of retakes was justified by circumstances beyond the applicant’s control and explained in their UCAS reference and/or Extenuating Circumstances Form.'

Thats why I won't get in haha
I got a Cambridge offer with 3 GCSE A*s and stated plans to retake AS levels.... what they liked was that in my personal statement and my interview, my passion for the subject shone. Remember, they're looking for people they want to work with who share an interest and intense work ethic, and an upwards trajectory of performance in exams is also liked - which you have shown Imo. Best apply and be rejected, rather than wonder what if. I was not thinking of applying at all, for similar reasons as yours, but my teachers encouraged me and I'm so glad I tried.
i would be 20 when I go to university though, also I resat my AS levels and I have fairly okay-ish gcses. 6As 1A* 4Bs and a B in FSMQ.

Should I even possibly consider LSE or UCL or Warwick??? If I get these grades

Ucl and warwick are fairly easy to get into as long as you meet their grade requirement. It does depend on the course but if you do manage to get good grades just take a year off. When your at uni nobody seems to care what age anyone is. When you get to the age of like 19 you feel very similar to those who are 20-21 etc. So i would say go for the gap year or try to find a space through clearing if they somehow are not full. If not take a gap year travel, relax, improve yourself and you should be ready for a interesting time.
Reply 27
I haven't asked this before haha. I just might got an A* in maths and chemistry so I'm a bit like EH what do I do.Everyone else is suggesting cambridge Im like hell no

Don't get hung up on having A*s as being a "problem" requiring a solution.

Ignoring grades, do you want to do that course at Bath? It's an excellent university.

If yes, then stick with what you have.

If not, then taking a gap year and applying elsewhere having done proper research is probably the best bet. It matters not what age you are; 19 or 20 is hardly a factor. What course do you *really* want to do?

And ask about Cambridge in that thread. You have nothing to lose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by Doonesbury
Don't get hung up on having A*s as being a "problem" requiring a solution.

Ignoring grades, do you want to do that course at Bath? It's an excellent university.

If yes, then stick with what you have.

If not, then taking a gap year and applying elsewhere having done proper research is probably the best bet. It matters not what age you are; 19 or 20 is hardly a factor. What course do you *really* want to do?

And ask about Cambridge in that thread. You have nothing to lose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I like my course and I like the city. I'm always pestered by the idea that 'UCL is better though', that is for finance anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest