The Student Room Group

What to study to become a lecturer after completing PGCE?

So I will be starting my PGCE in modern languages (Spanish) this year and I would like to think about my professional development. I've read a bit and apparently I could study a master's degree in education or maybe something related to Spanish language and then try to get a PhD?

Has anyone done something similar?

Thank you!
Original post by Achotiodeque
So I will be starting my PGCE in modern languages (Spanish) this year and I would like to think about my professional development. I've read a bit and apparently I could study a master's degree in education or maybe something related to Spanish language and then try to get a PhD?

Has anyone done something similar?

Thank you!

Do you want to be a teacher or an academic? The main function of a university lecturer is to do academic research, teaching undergraduate students forms a relatively minor part of the job. Are you interested in research?
Lecturers at university are usually primarily research staff as @snufkin stated - although some places do advertise specific teaching fellowships. In any case, a PGCE is not required to teach at university. In theory usually a Masters degree is the minimum (sometimes a Bachelors will be sufficient for some small aspect of the course) although most have a PhD, both because they are also research academics and because most PhD programmes include aspects of university teaching - e.g. marking work, running seminars/labs/tutorial sessions and so on. These degrees will be in their subject area (i.e. of the department/subject they're teaching in). Few have any formal educational qualifications - although often they'll have some teaching "training" comprising a day course or something during their PhD, and some experience in demonstrating/marking as above.
(edited 6 years ago)
Lecturers at university are usually primarily research work so do about your interest
It depends if you means a College lecturer/teacher (i.e. teaching A level, adult courses etc.) or University lecturer (teaching undergraduates and conducting research).For a college lecturer/teacher you can pretty much apply straight after your PGCE, you want to be a university lecturer than a PGCE isn't going to help much (there is also such as thing as a PGCHE, although you can only do this once you have a position). At this stage you need to focus on research development - a masters and then a PhD in your chosen field, with papers or books published and presentations given at conferences. This is a long and difficult route, unfortunately, and requires dedication, although potentially with a lot of fun and job satisfaction if you like the academic world (and you get to be a student for quite a while!).
Oh thank you for your responses. Well I am not that attracted by research I guess. I was thinking in career development and obviously I would like to teach in a higher level some day thats why I thought of becoming a lecturer!

Can you think of any other career development for a teacher? Thank you!
Reply 6
Oh thank you for your responses. Well I am not that attracted by research I guess. I was thinking in career development and obviously I would like to teach in a higher level some day thats why I thought of becoming a lecturer!

Can you think of any other career development for a teacher? Thank you!

Teaching fellow. You absolutely can lecture at university level without doing research*.

*aside from your PhD obviously.
Original post by S27
Teaching fellow. You absolutely can lecture at university level without doing research*.

*aside from your PhD obviously.

In Spanish? Unlikely. If a university wants a teaching fellow to just teach and conduct no research at all then they will almost certainly hire a native Spanish speaker.
You could work at a uni teaching on the pgce? I doubt that involves a lot of research. Otherwise it's progression in school such as senior leadership
Original post by Snufkin
In Spanish? Unlikely. If a university wants a teaching fellow to just teach and conduct no research at all then they will almost certainly hire a native Spanish speaker.

I forgot to mention I am actually a native Spanish speaker, does it change anything?
I forgot to mention I am actually a native Spanish speaker, does it change anything?

Possibly, it is true that some language teaching fellows don't (or at least, aren't required to) do research, but you'd still need a PhD, and a lot of luck.
Original post by Snufkin
Possibly, it is true that some language teaching fellows don't (or at least, aren't required to) do research, but you'd still need a PhD, and a lot of luck.

Well it is a goal :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending