The Student Room Group

What should i be doing to get an A* in linear Biology A-Level

As a year 12 going into year 13 following the new linear a level specification for biology, what are the things I should be doing to prepare myself.

Scroll to see replies

PRACTISE!

PAST PAPERS x 10.
Know your facts inside out ...so memorise but understand concepts.

Know your KEY terms.

Constantly revise as the workload is ALOT.
Reply 3
Which exam board?
Reply 4
Original post by Inister
Which exam board?

OCR-A, but surely this thread will be applying to all boards?
(edited 6 years ago)
sell ur soul to satan and u might scrape a C :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by rockistar
OCR-A, but surely this thread will be applying to all board?

I just did that exam board - revised for 7-8 hours every day since January and OCR threw a mixture of maths, unrelated questions and impossibly difficult questions at us. (this was A2 - AS year was fine )

Hopefully it will be easier for upcoming years though, as this was the first year of the spec
It's great you're already thinking about it because you have to be prepared for the crap ton of work you will have to do. Considering how the exams where this year there's no way I got an A* but my biggest advice would be print out the spec from the OCR website and start ticking things off from September. Start evising the first year content from September and try and go over it at least three times before exam season next year. In my college the teachers didn't spend a single lesson on first year content in the second year so you have to do everything yourself. Make sure you keep on top of your second year content as well as it's pretty detailed. And basically memorise everything on the spec make sure you know everything. And basically good luck because it will be very tough. Oh also make a spreadsheet in excel with all the old spec past papers and do them all and fill in the spreadsheet so you know which papers you struggled on so you can do it again
I'm doing OCR A Chem but lemme just tell u...

OCR is a CRAP exam board OVERALL.
hahahaahahahaha good luck, I got 92% raw marks at AS for OCR A Biology and I don't think I've even got a B this year geezer.
you'd be better off not revising imo, didn't help one bit - it is a joke.
Reply 10
Original post by sortmeoutgeezer
hahahaahahahaha good luck, I got 92% raw marks at AS for OCR A Biology and I don't think I've even got a B this year geezer.
you'd be better off not revising imo, didn't help one bit - it is a joke.

Sorry to hear that bud, surely the grade boundaries will be low as **** though?
(edited 6 years ago)
Oh ****. Sorry to hear that bud, the exam totally **** you over eh? Surely the grade boundaries will be low as ****?

We'll find out tomorrow hopefully ( hope a teacher leaks them ) geezer
But yeah if you don't need Biology A level, imo drop it
if you need it then all I can say is good luck and don't be disappointed if you feel like you revised loads for nothing ( how I feel rn)
Reply 12
We'll find out tomorrow hopefully ( hope a teacher leaks them ) geezer
But yeah if you don't need Biology A level, imo drop it
if you need it then all I can say is good luck and don't be disappointed if you feel like you revised loads for nothing ( how I feel rn)

I'm a hopeful medic hahaha :s-smilie:
Reply 13
Original post by StudentofGCSE
It's great you're already thinking about it because you have to be prepared for the crap ton of work you will have to do. Considering how the exams where this year there's no way I got an A* but my biggest advice would be print out the spec from the OCR website and start ticking things off from September. Start evising the first year content from September and try and go over it at least three times before exam season next year. In my college the teachers didn't spend a single lesson on first year content in the second year so you have to do everything yourself. Make sure you keep on top of your second year content as well as it's pretty detailed. And basically memorise everything on the spec make sure you know everything. And basically good luck because it will be very tough. Oh also make a spreadsheet in excel with all the old spec past papers and do them all and fill in the spreadsheet so you know which papers you struggled on so you can do it again

So a lot of people are complaining about the exam. How did yours go?
Reply 14
Original post by Inister
I just did that exam board - revised for 7-8 hours every day since January and OCR threw a mixture of maths, unrelated questions and impossibly difficult questions at us. (this was A2 - AS year was fine )

Hopefully it will be easier for upcoming years though, as this was the first year of the spec

How does one go about revising for 7-8 hours a day?
I'm a hopeful medic hahaha :s-smilie:

haha same, only one of my 4 med schools needed it tho so i wish i never took it geez
Reply 16
haha same, only one of my 4 med schools needed it tho so i wish i never took it geez

What are you going to do if you don't get an offer?
How does one go about revising for 7-8 hours a day?

I had only a few hours of lessons each day. So I'd go in at around 9am, go to all my lessons, revise in the library then come home about 7-8pm

I also had a lot of motivation
What are you going to do if you don't get an offer?

I got all of them geezer
Original post by Inister
I had only a few hours of lessons each day. So I'd go in at around 9am, go to all my lessons, revise in the library then come home about 7-8pm

I also had a lot of motivation

you reckon you got the A in OCR Bio geez?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending