The Student Room Group

Psychology degree without a psychology a level?

I really want to study psychology with neuroscience or just straight psychooogy at uni but I haven't done psychology a level. I know in terms of entry requirements that psychology isn't needed (I do biology and chemistry) but will this massively impact me? Will I be really behind others/struggle?
You don't need Psychology A level. Heaps of schools don't offer it and Unis don't expect it.

If they dont ask for it or say 'Psychology preferred' then its fine. You wont be a any disadvantage.
The first term of the degree will get everyone to the same standard with no prior knowledge necessary. This goes for statistics too.
Reply 3
Original post by returnmigrant
You don't need Psychology A level. Heaps of schools don't offer it and Unis don't expect it.

If they dont ask for it or say 'Psychology preferred' then its fine. You wont be a any disadvantage.

Okay thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by Noodlzzz
The first term of the degree will get everyone to the same standard with no prior knowledge necessary. This goes for statistics too.

That's really good to hear, thanks :smile:
My sister studied completely unrelated A levels and got a First Class in Psychology; you will be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
as long as you sound passionate about studying a psychology degree in your personal statement, you should still receive an offer. don't worry
Reply 7
Just push how interested you are in psychology in your personal statement. Maybe mention some research you've done into particular psychology-related areas, or relate work experience to psychology (eg I mentioned how helping out at my mum's nursery fuelled my interest towards developmental psych). I think that studying psychology at A-Level did help me as I already knew some of the content they were teaching at university-level, but you definitely won't fall behind as a lot of students on my course had never studied psych before. You'll be totally fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest