The Student Room Group

Is anyone doing 2 a levels only

^^^^^^
as in is anyone only doing 2 a level subjects at school, (doesnt include if you were doing more but you only passed 2)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by feiow
^^^^^^
as in is anyone only doing 2 a level subjects at school, (doesnt include if you were doing more but you only passed 2)

It's highly unlikely, 3 is expected.
I'm only doing A-Level maths, but i'm a home student and only need a level maths for my path, don't need to go to uni
Original post by RuthieG101
I'm only doing A-Level maths, but i'm a home student and only need a level maths for my path, don't need to go to uni

You doing an apprenticeship?
Original post by feiow
^^^^^^

You should look into taking an additional one or a BTEC as it will greatly restrict the places you can apply to.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
You should look into taking an additional one or a BTEC as it will greatly restrict the places you can apply to.

Basically, I have an A Level in my home language, an A*, but its not a modern foreign language and I'm not sure if that counts or not. My school told me it counts but I still have to take 3 A Levels in school. I spoke to the uni I want to go to and they said as long as I have 3 A Levels in total it would be fine, and that would be much easier for me to get As (as I would only be doing 2 in school as I have already completed 1 - the A* grade). Im trying to find out if it is possible for a different school to allow me to do 2 A Levels, bearing in mind that I already have my 3rd.
Reply 6
Original post by Divide Et Impera

As I have already replied to someone, I have an A Level in my home language, an A*, but its not a modern foreign language and I'm not sure if that counts or not. My school told me it counts but I still have to take 3 A Levels in school. I spoke to the uni I want to go to and they said as long as I have 3 A Levels in total it would be fine, and that would be much easier for me to get As (as I would only be doing 2 in school as I have already completed 1 - the A* grade). Im trying to find out if it is possible for a different school to allow me to do 2 A Levels, bearing in mind that I already have my 3rd.
Reply 7
Original post by DreamlinerFinder
It's highly unlikely, 3 is expected.

As I have already replied to someone, I have an A Level in my home language, an A*, but its not a modern foreign language and I'm not sure if that counts or not. My school told me it counts but I still have to take 3 A Levels in school. I spoke to the uni I want to go to and they said as long as I have 3 A Levels in total it would be fine, and that would be much easier for me to get As (as I would only be doing 2 in school as I have already completed 1 - the A* grade). Im trying to find out if it is possible for a different school to allow me to do 2 A Levels, bearing in mind that I already have my 3rd.
Original post by feiow

They expect 3 in the one sitting, :sorry:, and it depends on school policy.
I know you said it's not your path, but universities expect 3 in one sitting, also I'm pretty sure I saw on here that some universities won't accept an A level in a person's native language.
Reply 10
Lots of universities won't accept an A level in a native speaker's language (Spanish if you're Spanish, German if you're German etc), plus most ask for 3 a levels in one sitting so that they know that you can handle the workload at university. Think about any third a levels you might want to do to greatly enhance your opportunities
Original post by Divide Et Impera

I'm not no.
I plan on teaching functional skills numeracy. For this I need maths and a teaching certificate, which I'm going for after maths.
I do plan on getting a degree in maths but through the open university. I don't need any a levels for their courses but didn't even think of attempting it without the a level.
I'm not a school leaver, and have a family that is my priority so I'm taking many years to get to the point of degrees. You never know, I may take another a level in an unrelated subject if I feel like it, but this won't happen yet while the new specifications are so new.
I did just two A-levels in Year 13, and that didn't hinder me from getting university offers.
Reply 13
Original post by DreamlinerFinder
They expect 3 in the one sitting, :sorry:, and it depends on school policy.

Really? So if I did it one year early does that not count? Because last year I was doing 4 subjects in school and my extra home language outside of school. So, in total I had 5 A Levels last year, which was way too much for me to handle. This year we're allowed to drop subjects and since I received an A*, which I was really happy about I decided I wanted to drop 2 and therefore meet the entry requirements of having 3 A Levels. If I knew it had to be in one sitting, I would just do the A2 at the same time as all of my other A2 subjects and not while I was doing my AS'
Reply 14
Original post by thegalaxy
I know you said it's not your path, but universities expect 3 in one sitting, also I'm pretty sure I saw on here that some universities won't accept an A level in a person's native language.

Ah that sucks!
Reply 15
Original post by spectral_theory
I did just two A-levels in Year 13, and that didn't hinder me from getting university offers.

Really? May I ask what course you're doing?
Reply 16
Original post by feiow
Really? So if I did it one year early does that not count? Because last year I was doing 4 subjects in school and my extra home language outside of school. So, in total I had 5 A Levels last year, which was way too much for me to handle. This year we're allowed to drop subjects and since I received an A*, which I was really happy about I decided I wanted to drop 2 and therefore meet the entry requirements of having 3 A Levels. If I knew it had to be in one sitting, I would just do the A2 at the same time as all of my other A2 subjects and not while I was doing my AS'

It *entirely* depends on the university (and sometimes the course). If the universities you are interested in are happy with your plans, and you have written confirmation, you are fine.

Email them again stating exactly the A-levels you have and are planning to take and ask them to confirm your choices are ok.
Reply 17
Original post by Doonesbury
It *entirely* depends on the university (and sometimes the course). If the universities you are interested in are happy with your plans, and you have written confirmation, you are fine.

Email them again stating exactly the A-levels you have and are planning to take and ask them to confirm your choices are ok.

OK, many thanks for all your help!
Original post by feiow
Really? May I ask what course you're doing?

I've just completed a maths degree.
Reply 19
Original post by feiow
OK, many thanks for all your help!

You may find that universities that make UCAS tariff points-based offers* will be ok with "just" 2 A-levels. They may also be ok with an A-level in a native language.

You just need to check their stated entry requirements, and if there's any doubt, ask them.

*These are often the "lower-ranked" universities. But may apply to "mid-tier" ones as well.

Quick Reply

Latest