The Student Room Group

ANY ADVICE ? I am so confused

I have a hearing impairment. I’ve done my GCSES came out with 9 GCSEs! 2 As, 4 Bs and 2 C* and a C. I’m in my 1st year of A levels and have dropped to 2 subjects and after my exams I’m thinking of dropping out but I have no clue what to do? The full AS level this year was so so difficult as I moved to a new school with a completely different teaching style and my hearing loss had held me back a lot during the year.I have become so so unmotivated with my A levels and cannot concentrate. So does anyone have any advice on what I should do?

I’m very confused on my whole future choices.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Louise!!
I have a hearing impairment. I’ve done my GCSES came out with 9 GCSEs! 2 As, 4 Bs and 2 C* and a C. I’m in my 1st year of A levels and have dropped to 2 subjects and after my exams I’m thinking of dropping out but I have no clue what to do? The full A level this year was so so difficult as I moved to a new school with a completely different teaching style and my hearing loss had held me back a lot during the year.I have become so so unmotivated with my A levels and cannot concentrate. So does anyone have any advice on what I should do?

I’m very confused on my whole future choices.

Maybe stay back a year, which will give you more time to complete your a levels. Or you can do other a level, that interest you more. There are also a lot of level 4 apprenticeships available which will only require GCSEs. There are probably other options so don't feel too down.
Reply 2
Original post by JaCey04
Maybe stay back a year, which will give you more time to complete your a levels. Or you can do other a level, that interest you more. There are also a lot of level 4 apprenticeships available which will only require GCSEs. There are probably other options so don't feel too down.

Right will definitely look into staying back a year! Does it affect future choices say if I wanted to go down university route or even apprenticeship if I got held back a year? Sorry I have no clue! Thank you by the way for replying.
Reply 3
Original post by Louise!!
Right will definitely look into staying back a year! Does it affect future choices say if I wanted to go down university route or even apprenticeship if I got held back a year? Sorry I have no clue! Thank you by the way for replying.

I believe only the absolute top universities like Oxbridge and imperial require you to take have taken your a levels over a 2 year period. Most medicine courses also require this. However, since you have a hearing impairment, if you still wanted to go to these unis you'd probably be fine doing your A levels over a longer period. Although you should check with the university.
I have never seen an apprenticship that requires you to have done your a level over 2 years and I very much doubt any of them do.
If you wanted to do completely new a level you won't be affected in any way.
Reply 4
Original post by JaCey04
I believe only the absolute top universities like Oxbridge and imperial require you to take have taken your a levels over a 2 year period. Most medicine courses also require this. However, since you have a hearing impairment, if you still wanted to go to these unis you'd probably be fine doing your A levels over a longer period. Although you should check with the university.
I have never seen an apprenticship that requires you to have done your a level over 2 years and I very much doubt any of them do.
If you wanted to do completely new a level you won't be affected in any way.

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this all to me! I definitely feel a lot less worried now that I have other options. Thank you so so much!

Quick Reply

Latest