The Student Room Group

Study Needs Assessment

Hi all,

So Ive just had an email saying that I need to book a
'Study Needs Assessment'. I would be interested in hearing everyone's experiences of these.
Original post by tony.fisher83
Hi all,

So Ive just had an email saying that I need to book a
'Study Needs Assessment'. I would be interested in hearing everyone's experiences of these.

It's basically a conversation to decide what support might help you so they ll ask how your condition affects you and then make suggestions of support you can have. I ve had two and they were pretty stress free
OK, thats great. Although I cant see what their going to be able to do to be honest.
OK, thats great. Although I cant see what their going to be able to do to be honest.

you are dyslexic if i m remembering correctly? They can give you a study support tutor who can proofread for you, a laptop, reading software, a Dictaphone, mindmapping software and recommend that you have extra time or exam adjustments.
Had my needs assessment today. Much as I expected, Im not going to get anything.
Had my needs assessment today. Much as I expected, Im not going to get anything.

When you say anything they didn't offer you anything at all? Who did this assessment

How come? Of course, you all have different needs. But generally, you may get things like exam arrangements, (a smaller room, extra time, etc) a laptop, software and a note taker. I think some people may also get help with study skills too.
The university had already offered extra time and rest breaks as well as unlimited printing. The DSA people looked and said I didn't need any software, laptop or note taker.

In fairness I kind of knew what would happen, my main struggle is with reading and retention. So the things they would normally offer wouldn't help.
The university had already offered extra time and rest breaks as well as unlimited printing. The DSA people looked and said I didn't need any software, laptop or note taker.

In fairness I kind of knew what would happen, my main struggle is with reading and retention. So the things they would normally offer wouldn't help.

They could have offered text to speech software surely, I would disagree with the assessment and see what they say.
We did look at speech to text. My laptop already has two text to speech systems as standard for Windows 10. The impression I was given was there was a criteria that was to be followed and I didn't fit that.
We did look at speech to text. My laptop already has two text to speech systems as standard for Windows 10. The impression I was given was there was a criteria that was to be followed and I didn't fit that.

Specific software is more advanced than what Windows 10 can do generally, I think you had a bad assessor
That's possible. It's probably all about cutting cost, my lose is another students gain and all that jazz. guess that's life, just another challenge to kick in the pants.
That's possible. It's probably all about cutting cost, my lose is another students gain and all that jazz. guess that's life, just another challenge to kick in the pants.

Hi Tony. :smile:

It sounds like you had a bad assessment/assessor. I didn't have a particularly great assessment either. I was already offered extra time and rest breaks for exams, but a lot of the things I was eligible to get - I didn't. When I told a learning advisor about it, they admitted DSA is suffering due to cost-cutting. Note takers and mentors aren't assigned any more, unless desperately needed. I was hoping to benefit from a note-taker myself. I have ADHD and although I'm interested in my chosen University subject, lectures can be hard to pay attention for an extended period of time.

You could always re-apply for an assessment. I managed to pass the year (luckily) but for other students, I can imagine it being a struggle if you haven't got the equipment and support you need.

Hope this helps! :smile:
hi,

yea the impression I got was that funds were limited. in truth I don't need a note taker or their software. As I tried to explain to the assessor I learn by actually doing what I have been taught.

to that end I have been able to find a local law firm that will let me do probono work to practise what I have learnt. lol next week I get to sue someone. (sorry took a little too much joy in that, I'm twisted).
Whilst funds are limited and things have changed, they really should give you things that you need. So, some people may get on fine with a dictaphone, rather than a note taker. But they can't just refuse to give you stuff that you need because of money.

You might be able to get a second opinion?
I guess the problem was the things I need they cant give. To be fair the disability services are limited to what they can throw money at which is pretty poor as many of us would benefit from a more hands on approach. I have a Dictaphone that I use for lectures and the university already give me all the study notes,slides and unlimited printing credit.

Think Im just going to have to wing this one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending