The Student Room Group

I do not understand the 16-25 rail card and 18+ oyster

So I recently bought the railcard, 3+ years. It says I'd save 1/3 which is equal to 33% off.

So I travel from Kings cross to Hatfield at a fare of 14.10 during peak times and 12.10 during Non peak times.

I recently bought a railcard and showed the guy my railcard. He gave me a discount of £12. Ok I am not complaining, slightly cheaper but it did say it will save me 1/3 off ticket prices.

£14.10 * 0.33 = £4.65 14.10-4.65 = £9.45

So shouldn't it be a discount of 9.45 instead of 12. I am completely missing the plot here, maybe I am wrong; if I am wrong can someone care to explain. Ill probably ask someone at the ticket office to explain tommorow.

I have an 18+ oyster and travel from bromley to kings cross. I thought I get discounts on pay as you go but apparently its just for travel card. is that true?

However when I go online to buy 7 day travel card it gives the full price of 26.60 (Zone 1-3) when it should be 30 percnet of that and is £18.69.

I do not get this at all. Is this some sort of money making machine.
Railcard:

Get 1/3 off Standard Anytime,
Off-Peak, Standard Advanced and
First Class Advanced fares

So this doesn't apply to peak times.

Oyster:
If you have an 18+ Student Oyster photocard, you can get 30% off the price of adult-rate Travelcards and Bus & Tram Pass season tickets.If you live near your school, college or university, or only make a few journeys, you may not need a Travelcard or Bus & Tram Pass season ticket. You may be better off using pay as you go at the adult rate.If you have a 16-25 Railcard, you can add the discount to your 18+ Student Oyster photocard to get a 34% discount on off-peak pay as you go fares and off-peak daily caps on Tube, DLR, London Overground, TfL Rail and most National Rail services in London.
Were you travelling before 9/10am? If so £12 is correct.*

Early in the morning, you can only use your 16-25 railcard if your fare is over £12 - in which case it brings your fare down to £12.*
Reply 3
Original post by alleycat393
Railcard:

Get 1/3 off Standard Anytime,
Off-Peak, Standard Advanced and
First Class Advanced fares

So this doesn't apply to peak times.

Oyster:
If you have an 18+ Student Oyster photocard, you can get 30% off the price of adult-rate Travelcards and Bus & Tram Pass season tickets.If you live near your school, college or university, or only make a few journeys, you may not need a Travelcard or Bus & Tram Pass season ticket. You may be better off using pay as you go at the adult rate.If you have a 16-25 Railcard, you can add the discount to your 18+ Student Oyster photocard to get a 34% discount on off-peak pay as you go fares and off-peak daily caps on Tube, DLR, London Overground, TfL Rail and most National Rail services in London.

Can I apply for an 18 + Oyster if I have a week left before I enter uni?
Original post by Aeo98
Can I apply for an 18 + Oyster if I have a week left before I enter uni?

Yes, applications for an 18+ Oyster for the academic year 2017/2018 end on 31 July 2018 so you still have a lot of time to purchase one.

Latest

Trending

Trending