The Student Room Group

Sociology Teacher?

Can anyone help me?

My dream is to teach sociology in a secondary school. I'm planning to do a degree in Sociology and Education.

I've researched for PGCE in Social Science but there isn't a lot of choice. Am i researching something wrong?

They have other PGCES like in English and Religious Studies so why not Sociology??

Will i need to do another PGCE first or can i do one in general education?

Thanks!!! ☺️
Reply 1
Sociology is not really taught at gcse, just A level.

Most sociology teachers also teach another subject to justify a full time job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sociology is taught at GCSE in many schools... But as above said, you'll likely have to teach a 2nd/3rd subject. The Sociology teacher in my department also teaches Government and Politics, Health and Social Care and History. In the past, I've taught RE, MFL, Health and Social Care, Sociology and Psychology.

You should be able to find pure PGCE Sociology or PGCE Social Sciences (which would give you better cross-subject experience)
some secondary's do sociology for gcse but its better to have a history degree that's what me teacher says you have more of a profession
Original post by sociologygem
Can anyone help me?

My dream is to teach sociology in a secondary school. I'm planning to do a degree in Sociology and Education.

I've researched for PGCE in Social Science but there isn't a lot of choice. Am i researching something wrong?

They have other PGCES like in English and Religious Studies so why not Sociology??

Thanks!!! ☺️
yeah defo become a sociology a level teacher- students will get the most out of it and also you will be able to really teach them the depths of the topic you like
Original post by sociologygem
Can anyone help me?

Thanks!!! ☺️

Unis tend to tailor their PGCEs to demand. They don't want to produce a load of teachers who will struggle to get jobs. Every school needs lots of English and RS teachers, as English and RS are taught to all students 11-16 and most schools will offer them as A-levels as well. Social sciences are more commonly only taught at A-level now, often by teachers who also teach another subject.

I'd consider doing a joint honours degree between sociology and a national curriculum subject (e.g. history) and then you will have more options when it comes to choosing your PGCE. Once you have a PGCE, you can teach any subject, so you can apply to sociology jobs as well, or you may be offered the chance to teach sociology by a school you work in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending