The Student Room Group

Teachers writing embarrassing reference (maths application)

I think I'm quite inquisitive and work on a lot of problems and proofs outside of the content we learn in class. Instead of writing a humble and down to earth reference, I think my teachers have quite embarrassingly portrayed me as some sort of genius. I hate to have to live up to this claim If I happen to get to a Cambridge interview, where I will just seem like arrogant when they find out I'm really not a genius (by almost any mathematician's standards). Honestly, I think most of my teachers are incredibly mathematically immature and whilst they may have good intentions, I feel that this may leave admissions tutors with a bad taste.

Also, it's not like my A level ums were really that great (low 90s, a couple high 90s, and a couple in the 80s) neither have I been outstanding in challenges (only got to a gold award and never BMO). Meanwhile people globally applying to these colleges would have serious, ums achievements experiences; I just seem like out of my league if I brag then. What should I do?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by pagefan
I think I'm quite inquisitive and work on a lot of problems and proofs outside of the content we learn in class. Instead of writing a humble and down to earth reference, I think my teachers have quite embarrassingly portrayed me as some sort of genius. I hate to have to live up to this claim If I happen to get to a Cambridge interview, where I will just seem like arrogant when they find out I'm really not a genius (by almost any mathematician's standards). Honestly, I think most of my teachers are incredibly mathematically immature and whilst they may have good intentions, I feel that this may leave admissions tutors with a bad taste.

Also, it's not like my A level ums were really that great (low 90s, a couple high 90s, and a couple in the 80s) neither have I been outstanding in challenges (only got to a gold award and never BMO). Meanwhile people globally applying to these colleges would have serious, ums achievements experiences; I just seem like out of my league if I brag then. What should I do?

Say thank you to the teachers providing a reference for you. The viewpoint of your mathematical ability is all relative and admissions will be used to a range of references coming through for applicants. What your teachers write about you won't leave a bad taste imo. The reference you've got sounds like it'll be very positive and importantly shows that you're enthusiastic about learning.
Reply 2
Misleading thread title

I thought your teachers wrote you're an asswh*le or something

Quick Reply

Latest