The Student Room Group

Do you think Theresa May should resign?

Supposedly a lot of Tories want her to resign and a few former ministers have said openly that she should resign. What do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

No. Not that she's much cop but that last election was to secure Theresa or Corbyn through the Brexit process. It would be a PR disaster to replace her with an unelected Tory overlord a few months on.
Nah. She may as well take all the blame for the messup and the ones to come. Why taint another name? And she is trying to make 'her best' of the already bad situation.
Tbh, it paints Tories in a bad light, but it would paint anyone in a bad light. Then whoever comes next, surely they can't do worse. I might end up eating my words here.
If only someone were to hand her a P45
no.

Because I don't want Labour in power.

It would be a disaster for the party if they booted her out now - it makes the last election look like an absolute failure and makes their whole process of choosing and supporting leaders look like a sham. Its the sort of nonsense that would last for years, and it would almost certainly lead to a new election sometime after, and a possible (likely) labour victory.

What the conservatives should do - and most likely will do - is back her... for now... but nominate a new leader sometime before the next election. Let her see out the immediate brexit negotiations, then let her leave having fulfilled the key challenge she came in to tackle. After this appoint a new more powerful and inspiring leader who is better prepared to campaign and take on corbyn.

Everything seems to indicate that this is their plan - and its a good plan. It minimises labours ability to attack the conservatives for being weak and devided as much as is possible (although it will always remain a problem).

Who is the new leader? There are quite a few waiting in the wings who would stand a decent chance:

Spoiler

Original post by DrMemegood
Supposedly a lot of Tories want her to resign and a few former ministers have said openly that she should resign. What do you guys think?

Donald Trump could help prop up the May regime in return for a greater US influence in the UK. Areas of Britain where their is anti-Brexit or anti-Tory sentiment could face US air strikes.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6

I'm narrowly saying yes.

I like a lot of things about May and when i calmed down after the election i even forgave that because we did ultimately win (i thought a summer 2019 election with her in charge would be a good idea). Unfortunately though, two factors changed that this week for me..

1) Despite her intent neither her Brexit or conference speech was remotely ambitious enough. An extra 8,000 homes is not a worthy challenge to Labour's policy and it looks like she's softened Brexit somewhat.

2) She cracks under political pressure. I'm sure she's great at managing a crisis but in terms of needing to deliver when things are against you, she does not have it in her and the speech this week showed that.

Personally i think she should go and that we should see a new election in early 2018.
She inherited a bad situation but she accepted that position and now it's her job to clean it up, which she hasn't been doing. If she screws up brexit we'll feel the effects for many years to come.
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
She inherited a bad situation but she accepted that position and now it's her job to clean it up, which she hasn't been doing. If she screws up brexit we'll feel the effects for many years to come.

She inherited her position in a time where Labour were wracked with infighting and instability, her party stopped trying to snipe the number 10 job and got behind her and she failed in an election she should have walked.

It's been said that the Conservative Party has two default positions; complacency and panic. Well she's experienced both and in her case one has led to the other.
Reply 9
Original post by Ambitious1999
Donald Trump could help prop up the May regime in return for a greater US influence in the UK. Areas of Britain where their is anti-Brexit or anti-Tory sentiment could face US air strikes.

You come out with so much bolleaux on a normal basis that I'm not sure I can tell when you're joking.

Yes.
And may I add that I nominate myself as her successor.
Reply 11
I've come to the conclusion that she's doing the Conservative Party no favours at the moment, but for the sake of the country she has to stay in place.

We're at a fairly vital point in Brexit negotiations, with the ever-present sound of a ticking clock as the backdrop. A Conservative leadership election would take several months, during which there would be complete inertia in the Government and the European Commission would be unwilling to strike agreements with us.

We need a functioning government at this point, even if it's not quite ideal, to get us through this process and come away with an outcome that represents British interests. I'm no Eurosceptic, but ultimately the EU has made clear that it is pressing strongly for the interests of the 27 other member-states: we must match that, and we can't do it without a Prime Minister secure in her (or his) position right now.
If the Tories are smart they'll keep her in until the Brexit negotiations are finished and then ditcher her like the politically radioactive leper she'll have become from overseeing the brexit negotiations. Then their new leader can swoop in and try to quell the angry mobs by basically offering her head on a plate.

There's a reason Brexit barely appeared at the Labour party conference's agenda. They're not going to be in power for the negotiations so they're setting themselves up to basically take power by saying "we'll solve all the problems the nasty party has created". No one is going to be happy post-brexit.
Original post by Gwilym101
If the Tories are smart they'll keep her in until the Brexit negotiations are finished and then ditcher her like the politically radioactive leper she'll have become from overseeing the brexit negotiations. Then their new leader can swoop in and try to quell the angry mobs by basically offering her head on a plate.

There's a reason Brexit barely appeared at the Labour party conference's agenda. They're not going to be in power for the negotiations so they're setting themselves up to basically take power by saying "we'll solve all the problems the nasty party has created". No one is going to be happy post-brexit.

You've raised a good point.

Labour get criticised for not having a Brexit policy, but the truth of the matter is that by the time Labour are next in government, Brexit would already have happened.

I don't really know what Labour can do with regards to Brexit, other than ensure that the Tories own the failures of it, should it fail.
I wish we could have a dictator :frown: y stalin u die ? we ned u, plz coom bakc
Original post by Bornblue
You've raised a good point.

Labour get criticised for not having a Brexit policy, but the truth of the matter is that by the time Labour are next in government, Brexit would already have happened.

I don't really know what Labour can do with regards to Brexit, other than ensure that the Tories own the failures of it, should it fail.

Not necessarily.

Brexit isn't going to happen until March 2019 plus at least a two years transition period (so we are now told, this may change).

This is a minority government with the major party completely riven on Brexit policy. One side wants to stay in the Single Market the other doesn't. So that is a hell of a long time for a weak government conducting the most complicated and contentious negotiations to survive.

The likelihood of the Tories pulling off a Brexit deal that is livable with, is diminishing by the day. An agreement needs compromise from both parties, and the EU relishes our weakness and doesn't want an agreement at all. They want us to stay in. That is why they can play hardball.

So the possibility that there is another election before this is all concluded is high.

If Corbyn wins it, he will be faced with the mess. Or if the next Tory leader doe they will be.

The more I see how badly things are going the more I think we need a coalition, as in both wars. A coming together in the national interest, with party hostilities temporarily set aside.

But there seems no sign of that. None at all.
Original post by generallee
Not necessarily.

Brexit isn't going to happen until March 2019 plus at least a two years transition period (so we are now told, this may change).

This is a minority government with the major party completely riven on Brexit policy. One side wants to stay in the Single Market the other doesn't. So that is a hell of a long time for a weak government conducting the most complicated and contentious negotiations to survive.

The likelihood of the Tories pulling off a Brexit deal that is livable with, is diminishing by the day. An agreement needs compromise from both parties, and the EU relishes our weakness and doesn't want an agreement at all. They want us to stay in. That is why they can play hardball.

So the possibility that there is another election before this is all concluded is high.

If Corbyn wins it, he will be faced with the mess. Or if the next Tory leader doe they will be.

The more I see how badly things are going the more I think we need a coalition, as in both wars. A coming together in the national interest, with party hostilities temporarily set aside.

But there seems no sign of that. None at all.

I can't see any party coming up with a Brexit deal that is acceptable the population at large. Brexit bitterly divided the nation and any deal will likely do the same. Not that many people seemed to be indifferent about Brexit, the debate was so polarised.

Eventually they'll have to come to some sort of arrangement, most of the country won't like it but I don't see what else can be done. Whatever the agreement, there will be plenty on both sides of the argument saying it's not sufficient.

This is why I think Peter Hitchens was spot on about Brexit and how it should have been in a party's manifesto, rather than being put to a referendum. The referendum has produced a result that no one is responsible for implementing. If a party put in their manifesto that they would leave the EU and this meant leaving the single market, customs union, ECJ etc, then they would have been held accountable for delivering it.

As a Labour voter, I don't see what the Labour party can really do. The Brexit negotiations are a poisoned chalice and whichever party agrees the final deal will be punished by the electorate. All Labour can do really is try to ensure that the Tories own the Brexit negotiations and the mess that follows from them.
(edited 6 years ago)
We had a democratic election in June, where Theresa May stood as the leader of the Conservative party and put forward her manifesto.

The outcome of that democratic election was that she was able to form a government with her as Prime Minister, to deliver on her manifesto.

Now it seems that various Conservatives have decided that they didn't like that outcome, they don't want her as Prime Minister and they don't like things like the energy price cap which were in the manifesto and were endorsed by the British people. So they want to overthrow the verdict of the British people by tearing that up.

Why are these Conservatives so willing to reject the result of the election?

Face facts, we had an election, she was elected, shut up and deal with it. If you have such a problem with democracy then why not **** off to Europe?
Original post by Ninja Squirrel

Agreed, but it seems like its on a downhill slide
Original post by fallen_acorns
no.

Because I don't want Labour in power.

It would be a disaster for the party if they booted her out now - it makes the last election look like an absolute failure and makes their whole process of choosing and supporting leaders look like a sham. Its the sort of nonsense that would last for years, and it would almost certainly lead to a new election sometime after, and a possible (likely) labour victory.

What the conservatives should do - and most likely will do - is back her... for now... but nominate a new leader sometime before the next election. Let her see out the immediate brexit negotiations, then let her leave having fulfilled the key challenge she came in to tackle. After this appoint a new more powerful and inspiring leader who is better prepared to campaign and take on corbyn.

Everything seems to indicate that this is their plan - and its a good plan. It minimises labours ability to attack the conservatives for being weak and devided as much as is possible (although it will always remain a problem).

Who is the new leader? There are quite a few waiting in the wings who would stand a decent chance:

Spoiler

I love your optimism. My prediction is that the Tories will lose the next election by a landslide. A combination of a terrible Brexit deal (nothing has been achieved 6 months in), domestic affairs getting even worse than they are now and 5 years of incompetant leadership and infighting will make the Tories unelectable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending