The Student Room Group

How do resign a job?

I know this might sound stupid but I’m not happy at my job because know matter hard I try or work my arse off for the pub and yeah I realise I’ve made some important that costly hi the pub and some small mistakes.

But as off now they are telling me your not improving enough even though I work to the best of my ability to try and ensure everything is running smoothly therefore they have reduced my hours and quite frankly I want to resign next week is it possible or do I have to give two weeks notice? I’m at a point we’re I just don’t want to return for work.
Do you have contracted hours? If yes then you have to give the notice on your contract, if you are on a zero hour contract you don’t need to work your 2 weeks notice.
Original post by Jamesx199612
I know this might sound stupid but I’m not happy at my job because know matter hard I try or work my arse off for the pub and yeah I realise I’ve made some important that costly hi the pub and some small mistakes.

But as off now they are telling me your not improving enough even though I work to the best of my ability to try and ensure everything is running smoothly therefore they have reduced my hours and quite frankly I want to resign next week is it possible or do I have to give two weeks notice? I’m at a point we’re I just don’t want to return for work.

Check your contract to see how much notice you have to give. Then write a letter saying that you are giving X amount of notice and your last day will be X date. Then give it to your manager.
If you dont have a contract, then just give a week.
Original post by ALEreapp
Do you have contracted hours? If yes then you have to give the notice on your contract, if you are on a zero hour contract you don’t need to work your 2 weeks notice.

Not necessarily.
Even on zero hour contracts you can still be required to give notice. You may not be guaranteed any hours, but you are often required to give notice as the rota may have been done and you may already have been allocated shifts.
Original post by Emma:-)
Not necessarily.
Even on zero hour contracts you can still be required to give notice. You may not be guaranteed any hours, but you are often required to give notice as the rota may have been done and you may already have been allocated shifts.

Zero hour works both ways, you can ‘give notice’ that doesn’t mean you are obligated to turn up for a single shift. Employers can remove your shifts at a moments notice and you can also let them down at a moments notice.
So yes for zero hour you do not need to work your notice, what are they going to do? Fire you lol
Zero hour works both ways, you can ‘give notice’ that doesn’t mean you are obligated to turn up for a single shift. Employers can remove your shifts at a moments notice and you can also let them down at a moments notice.
So yes for zero hour you do not need to work your notice, what are they going to do? Fire you lol

Its in your best interests to give the notice required in your contract though.
A good example- if you need a reference for your next job. They could quite easily refuse to give you a reference, or if they did give one they could mention that you left without giving notice. Neither of which looks good to any future employer.
Original post by Emma:-)
Its in your best interests to give the notice required in your contract though.
A good example- if you need a reference for your next job. They could quite easily refuse to give you a reference, or if they did give one they could mention that you left without giving notice. Neither of which looks good to any future employer.

In the case of this person I don’t think they would get a positive reference anyway so seems futile to me to waste more time with them. If a company thinks notice is so important they should not be using zero hour contracts, companies like to use them because it mainly works in their favour but screws over the employee.
Reply 7

It’s there fist time running a up so I wouldn’t be surprised they did. Also the manger doesn’t even read his own contract is that also quite bad?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending