The Student Room Group

I'm bad at every job i get

I'm a 20 year old guy. Partly due to these issues with my employment i applied to university and got accepted, to do history which is my passion
I seem to have real trouble succeeding in jobs and holding them down.

Since the age of 17 when i had my first job I've had between 6 and 8 jobs depending on whether you consider transfers or new roles in the same company as new jobs. I've had 3 in retail, 1 in a pub, 1/2 for a pizza delivery place (did two seperate stores because i got a job elsewhere and came back), and 1 in a full time office job in freight.

I just seem bad at every job i get. First job was a supermarket job, did about 2-3 months over christmas kept getting stuff wrong in the end resigned. BUT i was having a mental breakdown at the time and was literally trying to get drunk on my breaks (unsuccessfully) so i don't really know if i can consider that.

Second job - a local pub on something silly like six quid an hour very few hours btu liked the people they let me go after the summer season ended as they no longer neede me or a couple of others. did it for like a couple or so months,.

Third job was in a pizza delivery place, did it for like six months, good perks good money for doing relatively little. left to get a full time job in the office in the freight trade.

here i was on £21k but found the work boring. kept making mistakes, person training me was blatantly rude. i was alrady diagnosed as autistic at this point and they made very few allowances and in the end they said they couldn't accomodate me, told me i could either resign or be dismissed. could, would, should have sued for unfair dismissal on the grounds of disability but couldn't be asked because i didn't like the job so what was the point?

go back to the pizza place different branch did this for another six months when i start working for tesco.

Before i started tesco i was diagnosed with adhd and put on medication, started seeing the difference at tesco compared to my other retail jobs i could actually focus

got recommende dfor promotion to shift leader did the training manager was a d1ck and set me up to fail ,ended up transferring to another store where i gave it another go (where i'm at now). once again i seem completely inept, it's a very stressful job and i keep getting things werong or not doing enough for them etc. I'm working my hardest but still not meeting their expectatiuons. Once again i'm being told about "options" and a transfer. I've already told them i'm going uni. I'll probably resign but i'm just so frustrated at how i can't seem to do well in any job. I'm dyspraxic as well which probably doesn't help in this kind of job where it's manual and that's kind of why i'm going university to get a degree so i can actually do something partly intellectual. I'm intelligent, I got 2 A*s and an a A in my a levels and everyone even my old employers at the office mentioned how intelligent i was and even told me there was no future in that job and how it was dead end etc.

Honestly i'm just a bit down because i just want to be good at something regardless of how poorly paid of it is. I'd start my own business but don't know what, my younger brother is very successful and does his own businesss but i haven't really got any ideas.

Thanks
Original post by civicpride2506
I'm dyspraxic as well which probably doesn't help in this kind of job where it's manual and that's kind of why i'm going university to get a degree so i can actually do something partly intellectual. I'm intelligent, I got 2 A*s and an a A in my a levels and everyone even my old employers at the office mentioned how intelligent i was and even told me there was no future in that job and how it was dead end etc.

With A-Level grades A*A*A I'm surprised you didn't apply to uni years earlier. With a degree you can obviously do more than just retail and service jobs.
Reply 2
Original post by Potted_Plant
With A-Level grades A*A*A I'm surprised you didn't apply to uni years earlier. With a degree you can obviously do more than just retail and service jobs.

I actually did and started but i got physically ill whilst i was there (pneumonia) missed a lot and dropped out. I then reapplied like the next year to do criminolgoy whilst living at home but thank god i didn't as i've learnt just how poorly criminology as a degree is thought of.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Think of it as God´s way of telling you that kind of job isnt for you. You are for so much more. You're still young. Always think positive in every negative

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending