The Student Room Group

Want to quit my job after the first day - advice?

Hi, I just got a job at a Wetherspoons and I want to quit, but I'm not sure how. I've checked the rota and there are no managers in during my shift the rest of this week, would it be okay to phone in and resign? I don't know if the office will be unlocked when I go in, and I don't know if I want to even go in for the next shift, so I'm not sure there is any way I could leave a letter. My contract says I don't need to give notice, so is it okay to just phone and say I'm not coming in tomorrow?
My shifts start at 4 or 5am, and I can't cope with it being so early, plus no buses run at those times so I have to get a taxi, which costs so much it's barely worth going in. Was going to stay for the rest of the week, but don't know if I want to honestly. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:

Are you financially able to give up the pub job and find a new one within the next fortnight without a serious deterioration in your financial situation?
If not, I'd recommend that you continue for the rest of the week and resign in writing once the managers have returned.
Once you have secured a more convenient new job somewhere else and signed all the paperwork so that you are ready to start work immediately.
Good luck!
Original post by londonmyst
Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:

Are you financially able to give up the pub job and find a new one within the next fortnight without a serious deterioration in your financial situation?
If not, I'd recommend that you continue for the rest of the week and resign in writing once the managers have returned.
Once you have secured a more convenient new job somewhere else and signed all the paperwork so that you are ready to start work immediately.
Good luck!

Thank you!

I don't really need the money from it that badly, no - do you think I'd be okay to phone them and resign today then?
Original post by GreatnessInSpace
Thank you!

I don't really need the money from it that badly, no - do you think I'd be okay to phone them and resign today then?

No.
I think that you should be professional, resign in writing to a manager and let them know at least 48hrs before you leave- as a matter of personal courtesy.
Original post by GreatnessInSpace
Hi, I just got a job at a Wetherspoons and I want to quit, but I'm not sure how. I've checked the rota and there are no managers in during my shift the rest of this week, would it be okay to phone in and resign? I don't know if the office will be unlocked when I go in, and I don't know if I want to even go in for the next shift, so I'm not sure there is any way I could leave a letter. My contract says I don't need to give notice, so is it okay to just phone and say I'm not coming in tomorrow?
My shifts start at 4 or 5am, and I can't cope with it being so early, plus no buses run at those times so I have to get a taxi, which costs so much it's barely worth going in. Was going to stay for the rest of the week, but don't know if I want to honestly. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

how did you get the job at Wetherspoons tho please did you write a cover letter

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending