The Student Room Group

Should I apply to UNIQ and/or Sutton Trust?

I'm at a grammar school which sends approx 5 a year to Oxbridge, but at my old school where I took my GCSEs they send 0-1 a year. I got 3 9s, 4A*s and 4As (remarks pending) which I think was the best at my old school but I'm not sure. My mum went to Uni and my dad went to a polytechnic. I live in a fairly rich area I think. Is there any point in applying to UNIQ or Sutton Trust? If I have no chance I'll spend my time applying for something else, but didn't want to discount it completely, as I'd love to go!
If your parents both went to university, and you live in fairly rich area your chances will be lower. But your old school seems quite a low standard so that will help. I think the application process is quite easy, so you might as well apply. I went to them and they were really good :smile:.
(edited 6 years ago)
You have nothing to lose
Reply 3
Original post by teenhorrorstory
You have nothing to lose

Yeah that's true - only my time, really. If/when I don't get in, it's not reflective of my chances of getting in to a top Uni - just got to remind myself of that!
Reply 4
Original post by ravenclaw_
I'm at a grammar school which sends approx 5 a year to Oxbridge, but at my old school where I took my GCSEs they send 0-1 a year. I got 3 9s, 4A*s and 4As (remarks pending) which I think was the best at my old school but I'm not sure. My mum went to Uni and my dad went to a polytechnic. I live in a fairly rich area I think. Is there any point in applying to UNIQ or Sutton Trust? If I have no chance I'll spend my time applying for something else, but didn't want to discount it completely, as I'd love to go!

You won't be able to get into UNIQ so don't waste ur time to writing the personal statement etc - find alternatives as you have said.

Source: I went on UNIQ medicine school last summer
Reply 5
Original post by PoliticsandP
If your parents both went to university, and you live in fairly rich areas your chances will be lower. But if your old school seems quite a low standard so that will help. I think the application process is quite easy, so you might as well apply. I went to them and they were really good :smile:.

Yeah I've heard so many good things about them :smile: I think I've just got to be strategic about applying and make sure my personal statement is as good as possible. If I don't get in, atleast it will probably be because I'm too privileged and not because I'm not good enough to go to a top uni!
Reply 6
Original post by Jakir
You won't be able to get into UNIQ so don't waste ur time to writing the personal statement etc - find alternatives as you have said.

Source: I went on UNIQ medicine school last summer

Difficult to decide whether to apply - I realise how competitive it is to get in and I'm sure there are people more deserving of a place than me... But then again if I don't apply I might regret it.
Reply 7
Original post by ravenclaw_
Difficult to decide whether to apply - I realise how competitive it is to get in and I'm sure there are people more deserving of a place than me... But then again if I don't apply I might regret it.

Very true.. if you really believe you would be able to write an amazing ps for it. Go for it - like you are more enthusiastic about it than I ever was. I only found out about it the week before the deadline.

Quick Reply

Latest