The Student Room Group

UCAS help needed

Currently I have predicted grades of BBB and my teachers are refusing to change it. Should I still apply for vet med? Really stressful as I don't think I should, but I don't know what to change it to.
i know someone who's applying with those predicted grades since some places (like nottingham) don't look at them

tbh you may as well if you don't mind paying the £24 and filling out all the questionnaires because worst case scenario you don't get in, which is what would happen if you don't even apply
Reply 2
Original post by defenestrated
i know someone who's applying with those predicted grades since some places (like nottingham) don't look at them

tbh you may as well if you don't mind paying the £24 and filling out all the questionnaires because worst case scenario you don't get in, which is what would happen if you don't even apply

Yeah most places I've applied to have entries of AAB. So most people are like id you don't have the grades dont apply.
Some universities have a limit to the number of times you can apply to them (usually a maximum of one or two) for the veterinary course. You can never say for certain that you would or would not get an interview/offer with those grades but you would be at a disadvantage compared to many other applicants. At that point you would have to weigh up whether the chances of getting an offer/atleast interview practice are worth the risk. A gap year with higher actual grades and more work experience would make you a stronger, well rounded candidate but ultimately it is your decision :smile:
There are many options!! Firstly Nottingham do consider you with those grades because I had AAB and I got offered an interview but didn't get in, my best friend also had those predicted grades and she got into Nottingham (actually was the only one she got into). I think all the unis you can apply at least twice, so not to worry about that.

You could always take a gap year and I think for vet med that is a very good idea. A lot of vets I talk to today, newly graduated and older vets, turns out a lot of them took a gap year to do work experience and that stood them in good stead. My own vet that I use took a gap year and worked in Asda!! He didn't even get animal work experience and got in the second time. They like you to reapply. Also if you think your grades will be better than BBB then by taking a gap year it allows you to reapply with your better grades not because your teachers said you'd get some grades. I don't understand why they wouldn't change it because at my school they would for med and vet med and depending on what the student is applying to. But it's not the end of the world if they don't.

And even if you don't get the grades and say you get BBB or below, then there are many other options. You can take an undergraduate vet Bioscience or pretty much any degree and graduate with 2:1 or above and you are most likely going to get in. Of course this is a longer and more expensive route but it is definitely doable. It would be 3 years at an undergraduate corse and then 4 years for vet med because if you go in as a postgrad student you go straight into second year.
Original post by Student_222
There are many options!! Firstly Nottingham do consider you with those grades because I had AAB and I got offered an interview but didn't get in, my best friend also had those predicted grades and she got into Nottingham (actually was the only one she got into). I think all the unis you can apply at least twice, so not to worry about that.

You could always take a gap year and I think for vet med that is a very good idea. A lot of vets I talk to today, newly graduated and older vets, turns out a lot of them took a gap year to do work experience and that stood them in good stead. My own vet that I use took a gap year and worked in Asda!! He didn't even get animal work experience and got in the second time. They like you to reapply. Also if you think your grades will be better than BBB then by taking a gap year it allows you to reapply with your better grades not because your teachers said you'd get some grades. I don't understand why they wouldn't change it because at my school they would for med and vet med and depending on what the student is applying to. But it's not the end of the world if they don't.

And even if you don't get the grades and say you get BBB or below, then there are many other options. You can take an undergraduate vet Bioscience or pretty much any degree and graduate with 2:1 or above and you are most likely going to get in. Of course this is a longer and more expensive route but it is definitely doable. It would be 3 years at an undergraduate corse and then 4 years for vet med because if you go in as a postgrad student you go straight into second year.

I think that is slightly misleading - as a graduate student you would only do the vet med course in 4 years if you were accepted onto the 4 year graduate entry course at Edinburgh or the RVC.
Original post by Popsicle_pirate
I think that is slightly misleading - as a graduate student you would only do the vet med course in 4 years if you were accepted onto the 4 year graduate entry course at Edinburgh or the RVC.

It's the same at all uk unis, if you've done an undergrads which is a science degree you go straight into second year
Original post by Student_222
It's the same at all uk unis, if you've done an undergrads which is a science degree you go straight into second year

Sorry but that's definitely not the case for all the vet schools - I'm at Bristol vet school, doing the 5 year undergrad course and there are definitely grad students with biology etc as their first degree, who are also doing the 5 year course alongside me. Bristol don't currently offer a 4 year accelerated graduate course at all.

Also to OP - I think I saw in the 2018 thread that you've applied with your current predicted grades? So just to say, if you don't get any offers this year, try not to be too disheartened! A lot of people don't get in on their first attempt. I didn't! What I'd recommend is just doing your best to smash those predicted grades, and get at least AAB, or even better AAA which will give you even more options. Then reapply next year, and use the summer after A-levels and your gap year to get loads of work experience and make your application even stronger :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by bristolvet94
Sorry but that's definitely not the case for all the vet schools - I'm at Bristol vet school, doing the 5 year undergrad course and there are definitely grad students with biology etc as their first degree, who are also doing the 5 year course alongside me. Bristol don't currently offer a 4 year accelerated graduate course at all.

Also to OP - I think I saw in the 2018 thread that you've applied with your current predicted grades? So just to say, if you don't get any offers this year, try not to be too disheartened! A lot of people don't get in on their first attempt. I didn't! What I'd recommend is just doing your best to smash those predicted grades, and get at least AAB, or even better AAA which will give you even more options. Then reapply next year, and use the summer after A-levels and your gap year to get loads of work experience and make your application even stronger :smile:

Sorry for not getting back to you but I did apply with my current predicted grades> hoping to work hard and get AAA.
Original post by bristolvet94

sorry yes my mistake, up until recently i thought all vet unis are straight into second year for postgrads but it is only RVC and edinburgh i believe? possibly liverpool?
Reply 10
VictiniCup
Did you get into vet med anywhere in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending