The Student Room Group

Bad uni or a foundation year at a good uni ?

I have bad grades. DO you suggest getting into a bad uni with those low grades or do a foundation year and enter a good uni instead? Which would have better job prospect and overall feasibility? Note that a foundation year would be ONE extra year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hunainshamsi
I have bad grades. DO you suggest getting into a bad uni with those low grades or do a foundation year and enter a good uni instead? Which would have better job prospect and overall feasibility? Note that a foundation year would be ONE extra year

Go to the good uni since ego's everything..
Alternatively, you could do an extra year and get better grades to get into a good uni.
Reply 2
Foundation year at a good uni definitely better as you'll end up with your degree from a good uni.

Or, take a year out and retake your bad exams and get into a good uni first time.
Up to you really. But I think if the bad uni is somewhere like UWE, Swansea, Heriot Watt, all universities with fairly strong reputations in industry then go straight in.

Otherwise only you can really decide if the extra year is worth it.
Retake your A levels.

Then you wont have to make choices like this.
Original post by returnmigrant
Retake your A levels.

Then you wont have to make choices like this.

Not necessarily a good idea. You still get the loss of a year like the foundation year but with much less of a guarantee that you get into your target uni.
Yeah but what about getting into Queens Belfast, Coventry or Kingston with my current low grades or getting into Manchester/Bath/Sheffield with a foundation year?
Original post by Helloworld_95
You still get the loss of a year like the foundation year but with much less of a guarantee that you get into your target uni.

And another year's Uni debt.
Reply 8
Yeah but what about getting into Queens Belfast, Coventry or Kingston with my current low grades or getting into Manchester/Bath/Sheffield with a foundation year?

Don't go kingston. Take a year to retake your a levels or go to the foundation year.
Do not pay 9k or more to be at kingston. It is like robbing yourself.
Barring negative comments about "bad" universities, doing the foundation year is realistically to your benefit, as its content is core to an engineering degree (and career) anywhere, which if you got bad grades means you probably don't have a great grasp on. Having the extra year to fully build up your base knowledge on the core areas before going into the course, at any university, would probably be the best approach for you specifically, regardless of the circumstances leading to the poorer grades than expected.
(edited 6 years ago)
What about Uni of Glasgow for Aerospace engineering? It has a foundation year program from which we progress directly into YEAR 2 of the bachelor degree. Is Glasgow good in terms of reputation and all?
Original post by artful_lounger
Barring negative comments about "bad" universities, doing the foundation year is realistically to your benefit, as it's content that is core to an engineering degree (and career) anywhere, which if you got bad grades means you probably don't have a great grasp on. Having the extra year to fully build up your base knowledge on the core areas before going into the course, at any university, would probably be the best approach for you specifically, regardless of the circumstances leading to the poorer grades than expected.

AYY thanks man!
What about Uni of Glasgow for Aerospace engineering? It has a foundation year program from which we progress directly into YEAR 2 of the bachelor degree. Is Glasgow good in terms of reputation and all?

That seems like a good deal. Glasgow is a good uni for engineering.

With regards to your question, it's really up to you to decide whether it's worth spending an extra year to go to a university that you want to go to vs one that you can get into now. But keep in mind, what makes you marketable to employers isn't where your degree comes from, but what knowledge, skills and experience you have to offer. And doing your BEng at somewhere lower ranked and then doing an MSc at a higher ranking university is always an option, too.
Original post by Smack
That seems like a good deal. Glasgow is a good uni for engineering.

With regards to your question, it's really up to you to decide whether it's worth spending an extra year to go to a university that you want to go to vs one that you can get into now. But keep in mind, what makes you marketable to employers isn't where your degree comes from, but what knowledge, skills and experience you have to offer. And doing your BEng at somewhere lower ranked and then doing an MSc at a higher ranking university is always an option, too.

What are my chances of getting into a good uni for my MSc after graduating with honors and good grades from a low ranked uni but with some work experience as well?
What are my chances of getting into a good uni for my MSc after graduating with honors and good grades from a low ranked uni but with some work experience as well?

Probably extremely high. Although after getting some (presumably post graduate) work experience you may not want to go back to do a masters. I was more referring to straight after your bachelors.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
And another year's Uni debt.

Arguably that's worth the guarantee and experience.

Bear in mind that Glasgow's degree is a 4 year Bachelor's/5 year master's compared to the usual 3 and 4, so this just puts you on the same footing as a normal student there, or foundation year student elsewhere.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Bear in mind that Glasgow's degree is a 4 year Bachelor's/5 year master's compared to the usual 3 and 4, so this just puts you on the same footing as a normal student there, or foundation year student elsewhere.

OH damn hahah I didnt know that! Thanks for that!
Hi hunainshamsi,

We've been mentioned in this post so wanted to add some info! :smile:

Undergraduate degrees in Scotland are generally over four years (or five if you choose to study a 5th year to gain an MEng instead of a BEng). Our first year is similar to a foundation year in England and often people with good A Level results will be able to bypass this and go directly into year two. You can check on our course finder if your grades would meet our year one requirements.

The benefits of starting at year one of a Scottish uni could mean no retakes are required and, with our foundation bursary, you would pay the same tuition fees as you would on a three year degree.

If you aren't sure what type of engineering you want to do yet, you have the option of our BEng Engineering course. You would study a range of subjects during your first year and decide which area of expertise you want to work towards from Year two. The A-Level entry requirements for this are BBC.

We definitely wouldn't be a 'bad uni' choice and have great rankings of our engineering courses!

> 1st in Scotland for Chemical Engineering and ​2nd in Scotland for Mechanical Engineering. (Guardian University Guide 2018)

> 4th in the UK and 1st in Scotland for Mechanical Engineering (National Student Survey 2017)

> 5th in the UK for Chemical Engineering, 8th in the UK for General Engineering and Mechanical Engineering (The Times / The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018)

> 8th in the UK for Chemical Engineering, Top 25% in the UK for Electrical & Electronic Engineering and Mechanical Engineering (The Complete University Guide 2018)

> Top 150 worldwide for Chemical Engineering, and Civil and Structural Engineering (QS World University Rankings 2017)

We are based just outside of Edinburgh, which is a beautiful city with lots happening. We're a campus based university so you can live and study on our lovely parkland campus. We have an Open Day on Friday 27 October if you'd like to come and visit!

We also have campuses in Dubai and Malaysia and if studying abroad interests you, you could take part in an Inter-Campus Transfer for a semester or year with our Go Global programme!

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

Carole

Resits are the cheapest an most cost effective solution.

Quick Reply

Latest