The Student Room Group

2025-6 Tuition Fees

I just finished school, didn't get the grades I needed for university (got ABB). I wanna do a programme (nothing to do with formal education) which lasts a year and a half, so I'd be ready to start university in September 2025. Kind of a gap two years.

The issue is, my understanding is that the price cap on tuition fees will be lifted for when I want to start, so it will be significantly more expensive...

1. Am I correct to understand that tutition fees will go up for 2025?
2. Would it be better to ditch the idea of the 1.5 year programme, and do a foundation year in a good university instead, starting in the next few months? That way I can get in to the degree even with the 'bad' A-Levels.

Thank you very much.
Original post by Nicholson1882
I just finished school, didn't get the grades I needed for university (got ABB). I wanna do a programme (nothing to do with formal education) which lasts a year and a half, so I'd be ready to start university in September 2025. Kind of a gap two years.

The issue is, my understanding is that the price cap on tuition fees will be lifted for when I want to start, so it will be significantly more expensive...

1. Am I correct to understand that tutition fees will go up for 2025?
2. Would it be better to ditch the idea of the 1.5 year programme, and do a foundation year in a good university instead, starting in the next few months? That way I can get in to the degree even with the 'bad' A-Levels.

Thank you very much.

The cap is frozen at the moment until 'at least 2024' - it could be extended or raised. Just my opinion, but if the cap is raised I doubt it will go up a huge amount. The cost of tuition is largely irrelevant as what you will pay in real terms depends on your earnings above the threshold and the payment term. With the introduction of a lower earnings threshold and a repayment term of 40 years, the cost of a degree for this year's starters is more expensive than previous years' students.

I'm not sure why you think ABB are 'bad' results and that you will need to do a foundation course to get into a 'good' uni. There are lots of good unis that will happily take you with those grades. What did you want to study?
Original post by normaw
The cap is frozen at the moment until 'at least 2024' - it could be extended or raised. Just my opinion, but if the cap is raised I doubt it will go up a huge amount. The cost of tuition is largely irrelevant as what you will pay in real terms depends on your earnings above the threshold and the payment term. With the introduction of a lower earnings threshold and a repayment term of 40 years, the cost of a degree for this year's starters is more expensive than previous years' students.

I'm not sure why you think ABB are 'bad' results and that you will need to do a foundation course to get into a 'good' uni. There are lots of good unis that will happily take you with those grades. What did you want to study?

I wanted to study Data Science, but anything mathematical with a bit of programming would be cool. Any coruse you reccomend?

Thank you very much for the advice on the cap.
I wanted to study Data Science, but anything mathematical with a bit of programming would be cool. Any coruse you reccomend?

Thank you very much for the advice on the cap.

Lancaster still has clearing places for maths and data science (you're one grade off for data science but it might be worth a call at this stage of clearing): https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/clearing/courses/#
Original post by normaw
Lancaster still has clearing places for maths and data science (you're one grade off for data science but it might be worth a call at this stage of clearing): https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/clearing/courses/#

Thanks! Is there any particular search mechanism you use?
Thanks! Is there any particular search mechanism you use?

Just use the link I gave you and scroll down to data science and then maths - they're listed alphabetically.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending