The Student Room Group

are you dumb if you do a foundation year for a uni degree?

I got a U in comp sci a levels, I never liked the course and knew I would fail, but I got D in the other two. My mum won't be too happy, but ok. I got accepted into a uni with my dream course but with a foundation year. I feel like my mum is ashamed of me taking foundation, so it's making me feel bad. But Idm doing a foundation year, is anyone else taking foundation?
Original post by derin005
I got a U in comp sci a levels, I never liked the course and knew I would fail, but I got D in the other two. My mum won't be too happy, but ok. I got accepted into a uni with my dream course but with a foundation year. I feel like my mum is ashamed of me taking foundation, so it's making me feel bad. But Idm doing a foundation year, is anyone else taking foundation?

It preps you for first year, nothing wrong with spending another year getting up to scratch. Your mother will support you, well most normal parents will anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by random_matt
It preps you for first year, nothing wrong with spending another year getting up to scratch. Your mother will support you, well most normal parents will anyway.

Thank you. I lied and told her my results are coming next week, I feel it's best if I tell her during our mini vacation to Paris so I'll get less backlash and insults.
I did a foundation course at Durham and many students on the course came from many different backgrounds. A foundation course doesn’t mean you’re not good enough and I know of a student who got the highest grade in their year (I believe they are doing a PHD now). Sometimes we need to take a step back before going forward. Foundation courses give students a second chance! I have just completed my MA so do what you think is right for you! All the best.
(edited 8 months ago)

Honestly im not just saying this for the sake of it but there is no shame in taking a foundation year if it is the best option for you. Just because you didnt get the grades for the first year doesnt mean that foundation year is not going to be great. do not be dissatisfied because you came so far and its your dream course! I was talking to alot of people today who got their alevels and so many of them decided to do a foundation year because of the same reason as you. ITS NOT ONLY YOU OK!!
Reply 5
Original post by Medieval1984
I did a foundation course at Durham and many students on the course came from many different backgrounds. A foundation course doesn’t mean you’re not good enough and I know of a student who got the highest grade in their year (I believe they are doing a PHD now). Sometimes we need to take a step back before going forward. Foundation courses give students a second chance! I have just completed my MA so do what you think is right for you! All the best.

Thank you! I was feeling confident in taking it till I saw the look of my mum's face when I mentioned I wanted to do it. This helps gain my confidence back because I didn't initially see it as a bad thing.
Reply 6
Original post by Alexabright
Honestly im not just saying this for the sake of it but there is no shame in taking a foundation year if it is the best option for you. Just because you didnt get the grades for the first year doesnt mean that foundation year is not going to be great. do not be dissatisfied because you came so far and its your dream course! I was talking to alot of people today who got their alevels and so many of them decided to do a foundation year because of the same reason as you. ITS NOT ONLY YOU OK!!

Ok thank you!
I'm really sad to read this thread. So let me emphasise this really clearly, absolutely not.

A foundation year does what it says in the name, it provides you with a solid foundation to take with you for the rest of your degree course. It is nothing to be ashamed of and at the end of it all, it really won't matter. You'll graduate with a degree, having done a course you say is your dream course! You will have made life-long memories and experienced challenges and new situations you haven't experienced before. I know it's hard, I suffer something chronic with being terrified about what others might think of me. But remember this, this is your life. It doesn't matter in the slightest what anyone else thinks. If you want to do this and you're passionate about it, do it.

You deserve this chance, please don't let your fear of ignorant people deprive you of it.

Wishing you every success :smile:

Hey @derin005 :smile:

Please don't feel bad, there's absolutely nothing wrong at all with taking a foundation year! Like others have said they help equip you with the knowledge and skills you need to progress onto the undergrad course, and it's fantastic to read that you got accepted into a uni with your dream course, it doesn't matter that it's with a foundation year, just think how happy you'll be studying a course you love after! You'll feel fully prepared to start a degree, having made new friends and feeling integrated into uni life :smile:

Also, hope you have a fantastic trip to Paris! I hope you start feeling really happy and excited about the new chapter that awaits in your educational journey! I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time at uni :smile: #BeResultsProud

Becky

Hi @derin005,

Huge congratulations on your offer! You should be so proud of yourself regardless! There’s nothing wrong in taking a foundation year at all. In fact taking a foundation year at university is a valid choice and can be a positive step towards achieving your educational and career goals. It's important to remember that everyone's academic journey is unique, and there's no one-size-fits-all path to success.

A foundation year can provide you with a strong academic foundation, help you bridge any knowledge gaps, and prepare you for the challenges of your chosen degree program. It's a chance to build confidence in your abilities and ensure you're well-prepared for the rest of your studies.

Rather than feeling bad about it, consider reframing your perspective. Look at the foundation year as an opportunity for growth and preparation, and remind yourself that taking this extra time can set you up for success in the long run. If you're still concerned, it might help to speak with academic advisors or current students who have gone through foundation years to gain a better understanding of the benefits and outcomes.

Wishing you all the best,
Ellie

Heya, there's quite a few people considering foundation years this year :hugs: I actually did a science foundation year a couple of years ago and now I'm going into third year in October :yep: I found my foundation year uni lecturers explained things exceptionally well, and many of the concepts that seemed very complicated now made sense. Also, it means you'll be well settled by the time you're ready to start First year.
You're going to uni, congrats! Point of entry isn't anything to be ashamed of. I hope you enjoy your course! :biggrin:
Reply 12
If you've got the right A-levels, it would be better to resit your A-levels than to take a foundation year at university, because a) you're still paying for the foundation year, b) a foundation year gives you less flexibility with your university choices and c) you still finish at the same time whether you're resitting A-levels or doing the foundation year.
(edited 8 months ago)

Absolutely not, an Integrated Foundation Degree incorporates an extra year prior to starting a course. This additional year has been specially designed to prepare you in gaining the study skills and subject knowledge required for the rest of your honours degree. There are many advantages to studying for a foundation degree. First and foremost, alongside gaining an introduction to your chosen course, you'll develop essential academic skills such as writing, communication, problem-solving, and independent study. The extra year will also allow you to build your confidence in a Higher Education environment so you'll feel more prepared going into the first year of your degree.
There is no shame in doing a foundation year and putting yourself on the right track for the rest of your degree.
It's not anything to be ashamed of! People in foundation year come from a variety of backgrounds, and your results absolutely don't 100% reflect your competence. There are a variety of factors that can affect how you perform on a certain day, and if you can study your dream course, even if it's with a foundation year, that's a step in the right direction! I took a foundation year last year and I have zero regrets. My advice would be, though, even if there's a foundation year, don't slack off or just focus on getting a pass. Use the time to really get settled in to the uni community. Who knows, you might end up with a really cool position in first year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending