The Student Room Group

Gap year.....Maths A - level...Cambridge ???

hey all, so basically my dilemma is i initially i started out wanting to do medicine. after some 'somewhat' invaluable work exp, i decided it wasn't for me. instead due to my 3rd a level of economics. (i'm doing bio chem econ) i began developing a massive interest for economics as a degree. i enjoy the subject and i find it very interesting. i'm applying for some economics courses this year, however i've been very limited to middle rank unis. (best is probably loughborough who want B only at GCSE) so my question is if i achieve my precited of A*A*A*A (EPQ ASWELL) and then did maths a level in my gap year... what are the chances i will get into economics for a top uni... more specifially Cambridge LSE, UCL. would i be at a disadvantage due to the fact i'm a year older or at at advantage as i already have 'A levels in the bag' Cambridge would be my main goal though..

many thanks

Scroll to see replies

It depends how high your grades are this year. Say if you got 2A*s and A this year then it would be quite likely you'd be able to get at least an A in maths in a gap year. That said they might be weary of the fact that you haven't done any maths for 2 years.
Reply 2
Original post by Light.Y
hey all, so basically my dilemma is i initially i started out wanting to do medicine. after some 'somewhat' invaluable work exp, i decided it wasn't for me. instead due to my 3rd a level of economics. (i'm doing bio chem econ) i began developing a massive interest for economics as a degree. i enjoy the subject and i find it very interesting. i'm applying for some economics courses this year, however i've been very limited to middle rank unis. (best is probably loughborough who want B only at GCSE) so my question is if i achieve my precited of A*A*A*A (EPQ ASWELL) and then did maths a level in my gap year... what are the chances i will get into economics for a top uni... more specifially Cambridge LSE, UCL. would i be at a disadvantage due to the fact i'm a year older or at at advantage as i already have 'A levels in the bag' Cambridge would be my main goal though..

many thanks

What are you other A-levels?

The gap year isn't a problem for Cambridge (it's only sometimes an issue if you are applying for maths, which you aren't).

Taking an extra A-level outside the normal 2 year period *might* be ok as you aren't resiting it, just doing it because you have the "wrong" A-levels.

It will probably be worth asking one of the ATs on TSR after the current rush of 2018 cycle applications has subsided.
Reply 3
Original post by Zacken
Would probably be in your interest to also take Further Maths A-Levels.

I was thinking that too - or at least AS FM (if that's still available?)
Reply 4
Original post by Doonesbury
What are you other A-levels?

The gap year isn't a problem for Cambridge (it's only sometimes an issue if you are applying for maths, which you aren't).

Taking an extra A-level outside the normal 2 year period *might* be ok as you aren't resiting it, just doing it because you have the "wrong" A-levels.

It will probably be worth asking one of the ATs on TSR after the current rush of 2018 cycle applications has subsided.

im doing: biology,chemistry,economics due to me originally wanting to pursue medicine..
Reply 5
I agree with the above poster, but I'd say that being a year older and having your A levels in the bag gives you a decent advantage. Maybe try to find some economics related work experience alongside the Maths A level during your gap year- it can be invaluable. i know people who achieve mediocre grades at A level and went on to study at top universities because they had professional work experience.
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken

Can I do ALL of Maths A level with further maths in a year though.. even with my 8 hour a day of studying, rule is that feasible..?!!
Reply 8
Original post by Light.Y
Can I do ALL of Maths A level with further maths in a year though.. even with my 8 hour a day of studying, rule is that feasible..?!!

Yes, you could do it in much less than a year with much less studying a day if you're sufficiently fast at learning lots of boring and easy material (are you?).
Reply 9
Original post by arneldfad
I agree with the above poster, but I'd say that being a year older and having your A levels in the bag gives you a decent advantage. Maybe try to find some economics related work experience alongside the Maths A level during your gap year- it can be invaluable. i know people who achieve mediocre grades at A level and went on to study at top universities because they had professional work experience.

I have KPMG work exp this Christmas if that helps
Reply 10
Original post by Light.Y

It would be equivalent to doing 4 A2s - so yes it's absolutely possible.
Original post by Light.Y

That'll be great. Try and get as good a variety as you can, or try and get some longer term experience with KPMG.

Yeah it is although I don't know how it is in terms of content covered and stuff.
Reply 13

I believe it is, as a standalone, yes.

[Is Econ planning on making FM a requirement? I know Maths is soon enough, forgot it I heard similar for Econ]
Reply 14
Original post by Zacken
I believe it is, as a standalone, yes.

[Is Econ planning on making FM a requirement? I know Maths is soon enough, forgot it I heard similar for Econ]

Don't think so. And Engineering isn't (yet) either.
Reply 15
Original post by arneldfad

Original post by Light.Y

Work experience is not a requirement for economics at Cambridge. If you have some then great, but it definitely won't offset "mediocre" grades.
Reply 16
Original post by Zacken
Yes, you could do it in much less than a year with much less studying a day if you're sufficiently fast at learning lots of boring and easy material (are you?).

Haha i commend that can you call further maths easy xD but answering your question, yes i can learn material pretty quickly. tend to smash out past papers early on and eliminate any mistakes i have.
Reply 17
Original post by Light.Y
yes i can learn material pretty quickly. tend to smash out past papers early on and eliminate any mistakes i have.

Then you'll be done with maths and further maths in a few weeks if you're doing 8 hours a day.
Reply 18
Original post by Zacken
Then you'll be done with maths and further maths in a few weeks if you're doing 8 hours a day.

you're making it sound a breeze. !!! xD most people that i know got Ds at AS maths after a whole year of doing it. but then again without sounding arrogant my academic merit differs substantially from most in my year
Reply 19
Original post by Light.Y
you're making it sound a breeze. !!! xD most people that i know got Ds at AS maths after a whole year of doing it. but then again without sounding arrogant my academic merit differs substantially from most in my year

An A*A*A* student can cope with A-level Maths (if you like maths, which is a requirement if you want to do economics...)

Latest

Trending

Trending