The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Predicted grades? Got an ABC but need ABB?

Hi, I'm applying for 2 unis that need ABB. One of them which is UEA which is my top choice, but I'm only predicted a ABC, in my January mocks I managed to get a B but when I got my AS I got a D due to having a mental breakdown before the exam as I had 2 exams on the day which may have affected my grades.

I know predicted grades matter a lot, but my teacher was like "you're unlikely to jump 2 grades so we'll give you a C", and was reluctant to change it. Will I just be rejected by UEA or will being predicted a C give me an offer as long as I achieve ABB? I'm feeling very stressed at the moment about this. Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Angelic Charm
Hi, I'm applying for 2 unis that need ABB. One of them which is UEA which is my top choice, but I'm only predicted a ABC, in my January mocks I managed to get a B but when I got my AS I got a D due to having a mental breakdown before the exam as I had 2 exams on the day which may have affected my grades.

I know predicted grades matter a lot, but my teacher was like "you're unlikely to jump 2 grades so we'll give you a C", and was reluctant to change it. Will I just be rejected by UEA or will being predicted a C give me an offer as long as I achieve ABB? I'm feeling very stressed at the moment about this. Thanks!

Contact them to ask but it's possible they could reject you with the D but you won't know until you check.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by claireestelle
Contact them to ask but it's possible they could reject you with the D but you won't know until you check.

Aw okay, thank you. I'd have to contact them tomorrow as their lines are currently closed :frown:

They might give you an unconditional offer; my brother needed 4A*s to do maths at oxford (he was doing further maths), and was predicted A*AAA, they said to him if he gets A*A*AA then they'll let him in. He got A*A*A*A in the end, to my annoyance (because i'm hopeless at further maths, I'm happy for him though)
Original post by Anonymouse 921
They might give you an unconditional offer; my brother needed 4A*s to do maths at oxford (he was doing further maths), and was predicted A*AAA, they said to him if he gets A*A*AA then they'll let him in. He got A*A*A*A in the end, to my annoyance (because i'm hopeless at further maths, I'm happy for him though)

Wow congratulation to him! And I do hope so, thank you!
Reply 5

A*A*A is the typical requirement for maths at Oxford. He wouldn't have had a 4A* offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am in the same predicament although the uni I want to apply to is Warwick which is ABB
Reply 7
Just slip your teacher a 50 note to change it to a B
UEA doesn't give a dam about predicted grades to be honest, they''ll probably give you an offer and as long as you meet the cut off for that year (each year it changes based on how many apply) they'll accept you after results day.
Reply 9

Which course are you interested in?
Original post by Doonesbury
Which course are you interested in?

I'm interested in studying Accounting and finance :biggrin:
Original post by SomeWelshGuy123
UEA doesn't give a dam about predicted grades to be honest, they''ll probably give you an offer and as long as you meet the cut off for that year (each year it changes based on how many apply) they'll accept you after results day.

Ah I see, I hope they'll at least give me an conditional offer
Reply 12
I'm interested in studying Accounting and finance :biggrin:

They have an 81% offer rate on that course, so pretty likely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well there's no need to panic as the UCAS deadline is ages away so plenty of time for you to prove how serious you are about it. Did you go from 4 subjects at AS to 3 at A2? Is it a linear or modular course? Which subject is it? I know some have an official AS exam but the end grade is dependent on your examinations at A2. Very important factors.

Having said that, I can almost guarantee you that you will get an offer, uni's nearly always lost 50-80% of offer holders so they're pretty generous providing you're not that far off the entry requirements. At he end of the day they all just want a full course = more funding.
Original post by Doonesbury
A*A*A is the typical requirement for maths at Oxford. He wouldn't have had a 4A* offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

when you do further maths you need all A*'s
Reply 15
when you do further maths you need all A*'s

Nope:
"A*A*A with the A*s in Mathematics and Further Mathematics (if taken). Otherwise A*AAa with A* in Mathematics and a in AS-level Further Mathematics. For those for whom A-level Further Mathematics is not available: A*AA with A* in Mathematics."

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/mathematics?wssl=1

And this isn't relevant to the OP anyway - so let's leave it now. If you want to continue, post in the University of Oxford forum.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by meediaabid
Well there's no need to panic as the UCAS deadline is ages away so plenty of time for you to prove how serious you are about it. Did you go from 4 subjects at AS to 3 at A2? Is it a linear or modular course? Which subject is it? I know some have an official AS exam but the end grade is dependent on your examinations at A2. Very important factors.

Having said that, I can almost guarantee you that you will get an offer, uni's nearly always lost 50-80% of offer holders so they're pretty generous providing you're not that far off the entry requirements. At he end of the day they all just want a full course = more funding.

I only did 3 AS alongside my EPQ, and I'm still doing them for A2. They're linear apart from one which I got an A in which counts towards my A2. However, my teachers wants us to decide by the 30th on the university that we want to go to as they want us to send them off by then.
(edited 6 years ago)
For the record, my predicted grades were ABC and I got an offer from Leeds for a course that required ABB.
I only did 3 AS alongside my EPQ, and I'm still doing them for A2. They're linear apart from one which I got an A in which counts towards my A2. However, my teachers wants us to decide by the 30th on the university that we want to go to as they want us to send them off by then.

What subject is the C grade prediction in and which course are you applying for?
Original post by meediaabid
What subject is the C grade prediction in and which course are you applying for?

It's for psychology :c

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending