The Student Room Group

How would you do in an Oxford interview?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by usualsuspects
For personal curiosity, is it hard to get into Classics (the IA one)? Are there (many) compulsory (Greek) linguistics exams?

Well, depends what you mean by "hard". Both Classics I and II have roughly similar offer rates (40%-ish) compared with the university average of about 25%.

I don't know the course specifics. That earlier link will get you to the department pages.
NB. The application deadline was last Sunday...
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by Doonesbury

Damn.
Reply 62
Well, depends what you mean by "hard". Both Classics I and II have roughly similar offer rates (40%-ish) compared with the university average of about 25%.

I don't know the course specifics. That earlier link will get you to the department pages.

40% sounds good. Yes, thank you, I read about the requirements and process. It appears composite and demanding, but I think I would have had a decent chance.

I'm two years late... Will take it into consideration as a second bachelor but, currently, it doesn't seem viable.
OMG how did I not know about this ruler thing already- it's so cool!
Reply 64
Original post by Notnek
Damn.

Aw, nevermind.

There's always next year... it will give you time to bone-up on the textual anaylsis of poetry, in the original Greek.
Reply 65
Aw, nevermind.

There's always next year... it will give you time to bone-up on the textual anaylsis of poetry, in the original Greek.

What A Levels do I need? Will maths, further maths and physics be okay? I can already write in Greek so that's an advantage

αββα\alpha \beta \beta \alpha

Although I'm limited to Swedish pop bands.
That PPE one is actually brill I love it
Reply 67
Original post by Notnek
What A Levels do I need? Will maths, further maths and physics be okay? I can already write in Greek so that's an advantage

αββα\alpha \beta \beta \alpha

Although I'm limited to Swedish pop bands.

Sounds perfect. I'm sure that will cover the α2ω\alpha 2 \omega of it.
Oxford have released another batch of interview questions. How well would you do?

History: Is violence always political? Does 'political' mean something different in different contexts?

Spoiler

This would be my attempt at the history question.:spoiler: [I did not read the spoiled notes before writing. Further comments made outside of my spoiler are following the aide of a dictionary and the notes in the spoiler.]

Spoiler

NOTES:

1. There would be lots of pauses in between sentences.
2. After reading the interviewer notes I think I did quite well.:K:
Original post by Notnek
Damn.
:rofl:
Original post by StevetheIcecube
The question for my subject (History) is really hard and honestly I would have been stumped. I'm not good at politics related questions, I never know what to say. I would be able to answer the first half (I'd say yes, because organised violence has a motive and other than purely personal motives, most things have some form of political link).
My above attempt at the history question might give you some clues. Though I don't know how good it is.:redface:

EDIT: This post has more thoughts (and potentially better ones:ninja:) on the same question.:wink:
(edited 6 years ago)
Due to the Edexcel English exams becoming similiar to literature exams from June 2019, I want to shift to Cambridge
First Language English.but my school follows Edexcel. Can I sit for Cambridge English (CIE ) board exam while giving other
subjects under Edexcel board? Is it possible to appear for exams under tow boards?

I hate the new Edexcel English syllabus!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by Sansheen
Due to the Edexcel English exams becoming similiar to literature exams from June 2019, I want to shift to Cambridge
First Language English.but my school follows Edexcel. Can I sit for Cambridge English (CIE ) board exam while giving other
subjects under Edexcel board? Is it possible to appear for exams under tow boards?

I hate the new Edexcel English syllabus!!

Only if you sit it at an external exam centre.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ummmmmmmm, I would be terrible at an Oxford interview :tongue:

And ewwwww poetry :puke: (doing French poetry at A-level was not fun so no ty pls :rolleyes:)

NB. Often there's no right or wrong answer - it's your thinking they are interested in.

That depends on the subject. For the technical questions in maths and science, there often is a correct answer (e.g. the pirate question given). However, you might not need to get it immediately. If you can verbalise your thought process then you can gradually work towards the answer. The tutors can then gently prod you when you get stuck.
Reply 75
Original post by chazwomaq
That depends on the subject. For the technical questions in maths and science, there often is a correct answer (e.g. the pirate question given). However, you might not need to get it immediately. If you can verbalise your thought process then you can gradually work towards the answer. The tutors can then gently prod you when you get stuck.

Indeed, yes. And how you handle the prodding is also a key part of the interview.
Reply 76
If a robot could give the better answers to those questions than the human candidates, should it be admitted to Oxford?

Quick Reply

Latest